Are your pants getting too heavy?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Are your pants getting too heavy?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30638 times

Are your pants getting too heavy?

I have this electric foot massager that has electrodes to massage you back or whatever part of you. I got my rock and my Remoil and sat down on the couch all wired up for a 30 minute session and figured to sharpen my EDC knife while I was sitting. I forgot the knife in my pants, had put on my sweats. Wife goes and gets my pants out of the bedroom and comes in saying, "My LORD, baby, I can see why you have a sore muscle in your back! These pants weigh a TON! Well, I have my 17 ounce 85UL in 'em and my 6 ounce NAA .22 for back up in the weak side pocket. I have the knife in question and a leather pouch on the belt which carries my Leatherman Wave and a single AAA Bushnell flashlight. It all adds up, I guess, for carrying around all day. I add a 19 ounce .357 magnum on the belt when we go to town.

So, I'm thinking maybe I should start replacing something. The Schrade is an assisted opener with a partial serrated blade that I REALLY like for gutting pigs, deer and such. The serrated blade cuts through the sternum like butter. I never think about getting a gutting knife when I head back to hunt, so I just carry it. But, I do have a much lighter non-serrated Buck which is much lighter. I could replace the .38 with my NAA Black Widow .22 magnum, I guess, but I'd feel a little under-armed if I walked out to go to town without the belt gun. I sometimes forget it for little trips to town. I cannot LIVE without my flashlight and Leatherman. I just don't really wanna cut back on the weight any.

I think if I can just remember to arm up with a belt gun when leaving the house, the Black Widow would be a good replacement for the .38 in my load out and save me 7 ounces plus the weight of the heavier .38 ammo. I could then shed a speed strip in another pocket. Heck, I don't know that my sore back is result of the weight of my pants, though. I've been carrying all this stuff for years and not had the problem, of course, I'm older.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    21895 times
    Suspenders? I was having some back issues and got rid of my big fat wallet and it helped a lot. I think it was jacking me up on the right side while sitting at a desk all day.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    4388 times
    Exercise. A few minutes a day strengthening your back and hips/legs. When you look at what the average policeman carries on his/her belt these days, you're carrying light.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I have this electric foot massager that has electrodes to massage you back or whatever part of you. I got my rock and my Remoil and sat down on the couch all wired up for a 30 minute session and figured to sharpen my EDC knife while I was sitting. I forgot the knife in my pants, had put on my sweats. Wife goes and gets my pants out of the bedroom and comes in saying, "My LORD, baby, I can see why you have a sore muscle in your back! These pants weigh a TON! Well, I have my 17 ounce 85UL in 'em and my 6 ounce NAA .22 for back up in the weak side pocket. I have the knife in question and a leather pouch on the belt which carries my Leatherman Wave and a single AAA Bushnell flashlight. It all adds up, I guess, for carrying around all day. I add a 19 ounce .357 magnum on the belt when we go to town.

So, I'm thinking maybe I should start replacing something. The Schrade is an assisted opener with a partial serrated blade that I REALLY like for gutting pigs, deer and such. The serrated blade cuts through the sternum like butter. I never think about getting a gutting knife when I head back to hunt, so I just carry it. But, I do have a much lighter non-serrated Buck which is much lighter. I could replace the .38 with my NAA Black Widow .22 magnum, I guess, but I'd feel a little under-armed if I walked out to go to town without the belt gun. I sometimes forget it for little trips to town. I cannot LIVE without my flashlight and Leatherman. I just don't really wanna cut back on the weight any.

I think if I can just remember to arm up with a belt gun when leaving the house, the Black Widow would be a good replacement for the .38 in my load out and save me 7 ounces plus the weight of the heavier .38 ammo. I could then shed a speed strip in another pocket. Heck, I don't know that my sore back is result of the weight of my pants, though. I've been carrying all this stuff for years and not had the problem, of course, I'm older.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    HeHeHe!! I couldn’t resist . Getting old are we ?? HeHeHe .... !

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Thank you, was carrying my jeans down stairs the other morning to trade out everything to hunting pants. Noticed weight and took inventory while making change. We both carry sort of the same type stuff. Mine weight 7 pounds, will not get into what I carry. My lady believes we can survive a year or two on what I carry. She suggested cargo pants, a man purse or back pack, said I could carry more. I said no to man purse and back pack. Been looking at cargo pants, suspenders may also help. Have noticed carrying less 45 ammo cuts weight.
    kshunter likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    HeHeHe!! I couldn’t resist . Getting old are we ?? HeHeHe .... !
    I think that's most of the problem. I've had some health issues, but getting over it a bit.

As for wallets, I've been wearing cargo pants for 20 years for just that reason, hate sitting on my wallet! It ain't that it's got a lot of money in it, but it does have a lot of plastic in it.
    kshunter and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldRedneck View Post
    Thank you, was carrying my jeans down stairs the other morning to trade out everything to hunting pants. Noticed weight and took inventory while making change. We both carry sort of the same type stuff. Mine weight 7 pounds, will not get into what I carry. My lady believes we can survive a year or two on what I carry. She suggested cargo pants, a man purse or back pack, said I could carry more. I said no to man purse and back pack. Been looking at cargo pants, suspenders may also help. Have noticed carrying less 45 ammo cuts weight.
    Yeah, the weight of those loaded magazines keeps my PT145 in the safe most days. I'll arm up with it if I have to go to a big city where I might need firepower, but really I ain't that paranoid. Cargoes are the only way to go IMHO. Wrangler has a new cargo pant out, have 'em at Wallyworld and I picked up a pair. The cargo pockets are zippered which I REALLY like on the motorcycle to keep my wallet from possibly falling out. It has TWO front pockets on the right side and I'll put my reload in one pocket and the revolver in the outside pocket. I've looked around at and bought some tacticool pants, but I really like these new zip pocket Wranglers and they're only a little over 20 bucks. My fave of the tacticool pants I've bought are here.... https://www.amazon.com/CQR-Tactical-...vert-amazon-20
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    20289 times
    So, now we are blaming it on the pants..........well OK then............

Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  20.3 KB
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Member #
    Liked
    18866 times
    I'll add a testimonial to both cargo pants and to not carrying a wallet in your hip pocket. Regarding the latter: I learned, during my truck driving career, to carry my wallet anywhere but in a hip pocket. It makes a big difference. Cargo pants: I've heard them (somewhat deridingly) called a man-purse. My rebuttal is that American farmers and outdoorsmen have been wearing bib overhauls with cargo pockets throughout our country's history, so take your snarky attitude and stuff it somewhere else.
    kshunter, ICUKev, jtg452 and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I'll add a testimonial to both cargo pants and to not carrying a wallet in your hip pocket. Regarding the latter: I learned, during my truck driving career, to carry my wallet anywhere but in a hip pocket. It makes a big difference. Cargo pants: I've heard them (somewhat deridingly) called a man-purse. My rebuttal is that American farmers and outdoorsmen have been wearing bib overhauls with cargo pockets throughout our country's history, so take your snarky attitude and stuff it somewhere else.
    I like Wrangler camo cargoes. Mostly I like 'em because I can get a stain on 'em and my wife won't see it and nag me about it. But, also, nobody accuses you of being gay if you're wearing camos. They don't even notice the pockets.

So, I'm carrying the Black Widow in place of the .38. I'm going to shoot it a bit today, have some ammo, and get a little more confidence with it. I don't practice with it much because my fave CCI .22 mag is STILL a little hard to find and forget about finding Hornady CD which is very accurate in the gun. I'll TRY not to forget my belt gun when I leave the house. Wife says I have this old age disease.. CRS. It's Can't Remember ...uh.... Squat, that's it, Squat.
    kshunter likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links