Homemade Hybrid Holster #2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Homemade Hybrid Holster #2

Well, I got my latest order of Kydex and started on my next hybrid holster today. Since I wanted this one to look a little nicer than the first, I started with dying the leather. I went with a all-in-one stain and finish from Eco-Flo called "fudge brown." It's a gel that you just wipe on with a cloth. The more you use, the darker it gets. After the stain drys, you can buff it and get a really nice sheen.

Next was to start forming the "chocolate brown" Kydex. I think these colors are going to look really nice together.

In order to get the gun and mag as close together as possible, I built a little jig out of some aluminum flat stock. This holds the Kydex flat against the bench while I form the pockets for the pistol and the mag on either side. I did the gun side first.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Re: Homemade Hybrid Holster #2

While I was waiting for the Kydex to cool down completely from forming it around the gun, I decided to make a couple of J clips. I have lots of remnants of black .093" Kydex from making motorcycle handguards. Most of these are just the right size to make two clips.

I went with J clips this time, but I'll probably make some other variations to see what I like best. These clips just need holes punched and the corners rounded over.

After the clips, I went back to the brown Kydex and formed the mag carrier. I think the forming went pretty well.

I just need to trim the extra from the top, bottom and sides, and then I'll start stitching the leather and Kydex together. Right now, I'ts just too hot to play around in the garage any more tonight. I'll finish up tomorrow.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27595 times

You are quite the artisan!

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Very nice indeed! I thought my creations were OK but not after seeing your's. Keep on posting the pic's!
    US Army Vet 1965-1971

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Looks good so far!
    PT 101
    627SS6
    PT 1911
    PT 145 Pro

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

AWESOME!!
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    10923 times

No press? Did you form that all by hand with foam and a heat gun? Can't wait to see your next set of pictures.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70
    No press? Did you form that all by hand with foam and a heat gun? Can't wait to see your next set of pictures.
    Nope, no press. I'm probably doing it the hard way, but it's working out so far.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I didn't get a whole lot done today. Sundays are always really busy for me with church, music practice, etc... I did finish molding the Kydex. I wanted to get the angles where the Kydex transitions to the leather really sharp. Just pressing it wasn't getting the results I wanted, so I tried something else. I heated the Kydex JUST enough to work it, and then I applied pressure with some various tools (the base plate to my Kahr's mag worked well), moving along the angles as the Kydex cooled. Basically, I used the same technique as hand boning wet leather. Using this method, I was able to get almost 90 degree transition angles. After getting the Kydex formed to my satisfaction, I trimmed the edges with my band saw and cleaned them up with a sanding sponge. I accidentally trimmed the edge along the mag holder a little closer than I wanted to, but I think it's still workable. Anyway, on to the pics!
    Outside:

How it looks on the inside:

One of my major goals for this holster was to make it narrower than the first. I was hoping to narrow it by about an inch, but I ended up doing a hair better. Measured at the widest point, from side to side, V.1 is 5.89" wide and V.2 is 4.79" wide. Here's a comparison pic of V.1 (green) and V.2 (brown):

Hopefully, tomorrow night, I'll be able to drill the stitching holes and stitch everything together. Then I just have to bevel, slick and dye the edges, and install the clips.

Member #
    Liked
    10923 times

Interesting, you are going to stitch them together? I haven't seen that done yet. A piece of deer antler works well for boning leather.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links