"But, my Buddy told me"....
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: "But, my Buddy told me"....

Member #
    Liked
    1580 times

"But, my Buddy told me"....

Or, why some people shouldn't have carry permits.

As far as I know, the State of Georgia does not, yet, have Constitutional Carry. Georgia does, however, have some pretty liberal Gun laws.

Now, the rest of the story.

Last evening, while having Coffee with a friend and his wife, the subject of open carry in Georgia came up. They were both open carrying.

Just for the grins I asked my friend "What's the law on open carry in Georgia?". He said "Outside of Chatham County, where we live, all you have to do to open carry is be 21 y/o. You don't have to have a carry license."

I asked him who told him that. He said "My Buddy told me that's the law in Georgia." "Where did your Buddy get that info/" said I. "That's what the Probate court told him." He also told me that his buddy had told him that he couldn't carry his pistol loaded in his car that the "clip" had to be removed and there couldn't be one in the chamber.

I'm actually opposed to having to take tests in order to be able to carry. However, my friend, and his buddy, are poster boys for the reasons why some people need to be tested before they can carry.

I'm sure that some of the Georgia members here will agree with my assessment.

It does scare me that Constitutional Carry would allow my friend, his wife and his buddy to freely carry.

YMMV.
    Last edited by EdinGeorgia; 11-11-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Taurus G2C 9mm
    Really Old S&W .38Spl.
    S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    NRA Member./GWCL holder.

"No one, anywhere, ever got something for nothing without someone, somewhere, getting nothing for something.

Member #
    Liked
    2439 times
    I actually agree with you on the testing thing. I'm in PA. It's legal to open carry without a "License To Carry Firearms" and it's really easy to get said license. Too easy IMO. Just have to pass a background check and fill out the same info for buying a firearm and pay a $20 fee to get one. It scares me to think that some people I've come in contact with could be licensed to carry. If it would come up on a ballot to start requiring either a written test, range session with hands on training, or both I'd be all for it.
    Mark40 likes this.
    The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

in·fringe /inˈfrinj/: act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.

Member #
    Liked
    33045 times
    I used to feel that way. I took my class with a couple of people who really needed training. But the great thing about federalism is that a state or two can try an idea, while everyone else watches. I have yet to see one shred of evidence from the constitutional carry states that makes me worry about what actually happens when constitutional carry is enacted.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    814 times
    Ouch, that is not smart.

Member #
    Liked
    1580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I used to feel that way. I took my class with a couple of people who really needed training. But the great thing about federalism is that a state or two can try an idea, while everyone else watches. I have yet to see one shred of evidence from the constitutional carry states that makes me worry about what actually happens when constitutional carry is enacted.
    Nor have I seen evidence of that either. It's just scary to know that full Constitutional carry would allow people who shouldn't be carrying matches to own and carry guns.

Natural selection will take care of most of them.
    Taurus G2C 9mm
    Really Old S&W .38Spl.
    S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    NRA Member./GWCL holder.

"No one, anywhere, ever got something for nothing without someone, somewhere, getting nothing for something.

Member #
    Liked
    6471 times
    So your saying that " the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means everyone has the right to own firearms but that there should be a test system so those people deemed by you somehow lacking by failing to do the research should not be allowed to protect themselves by carrying a firearm?

While that may help some folks to feel like superior gun owners I think the correct response would have been to correct your friend and wife as to their mistake and show them what the law actually allows or doesn't allow.

It is said that knowledge is power and as responsible gun owners I feel as if we should strive to share that knowledge by educating those who are willing to learn. The more educated shooters we can field the better for all of us.

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    48165 times
    There's ignorance and there's stoopidity. Ignorance can be fixed.

I was just reading our (FL.) 790.00 statutes (Firearms), looking for the mental health aspects. It's simply amazing what I've forgotten. Keep sharpening your saw!
    darbo likes this.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    7959 times
    So, what's gonna be on the 1st Amendment tests?

I only ask since you are pushing for 2nd Amendment tests.
    WGSNewnan and ColoradoJim like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    8132 times
    Ed,
    Although I agree with you that there are some people that lack the knowledge of guns and gun laws that many of us have, I do not think that a test is necessary. I think that we, as gun owners, need to take the initiative on this, and help educate theee people. I know that I have educated a few people that I have dealt with, and they appreciated the knowledge I passed along.

The first thing I do is get the person to look and this website: handgunlaw.us. This site gives a great explanation of all the pertinent laws on handguns per state. I also am more than willing to go to the range with them, and help them learn to shoot whatever firearm they have. I also try to get them to get a CCW permit; even though Arizona is a constitutional carry state, a CCW and training teaches many laws that need to be learned, and the CCW carrier has some more privileges in where to carry than just your average person.

Again, I think we, as responsible gun owners, should educate others on what is right and wrong whenever we can.

And, before I go, let me leave you with this: How has a driver's test and license prevented automobile accidents?
    "Our indulgence wore out with you A LONG time ago".
    - Rep. Jim Jordan to Rep. Adam Schiff about the "Impeachment Inquiry"

As has that of the majority of Americans.

Member #
    Liked
    1580 times
    Actually, I'm going to see if the mods will remove this thread.

I personally see no problem with everyone having the right to carry. But, I also see no problem with having to confirm that you understand the laws of carry and are competent to carry.

However, I think that all I may have done is started a giant pissing contest.
    Cariwine, Car_Doc, ICUKev and 1 others like this.
    Taurus G2C 9mm
    Really Old S&W .38Spl.
    S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    NRA Member./GWCL holder.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links