Shouldn't a Pistol License be more like a Driver License?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Shouldn't a Pistol License be more like a Driver License?

think about it: to drive a car you need to demonstrate the ability to drive properly. you learn, study, practice, and then your skills are tested in order to get a license to drive. why should a CPL be any different??? i say this because i have seen, on a number of occasions, people who have a CCW/CPL but they have minimal knowledge of their firearm in general and even less knowlege about how to shoot it, let alone carry it properly.

most classes to get your CCW dont really test you at all and basically just have you there as they ramble along, eventually leading to a printed certificate...which is what you really paid the money to get anyways. but is that REALLY safe??? how many people follow up after they get the CPL and do extra training?

i believe that we all have the right to carry, just like we have to right to drive... but even still, you don't want everyone behind the wheel do you? shouldnt there be something even remotely similar for carrying a gun?

your thoughts are more than welcome....

Ron
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Shouldn't a Pistol License be more like a Driver License?

I totally agree you should demonstrate how to "operate" your firearm safely before getting a CHL. I don't know about other states, but when I tested in Arkansas, I had to show how to clear a jam, what to do when you have a failure to fire, knowledge of firearm saftey rules at the ramge, at home, and when carrying, and safe operation of my particular firearm, and drilling into my mind how many people have been killed with "unloaded" guns.

Not to mention that even if I'm legally justified in using deadly force, a civil lawsuit will inevitablely follow.
    I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun.
    -Homer J. Simpson

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I am a strong advocate for safety, and I agree that it makes sense to have some kind of training for those unfamiliar with the operation of a handgun. I got into this discussion on another board with one of the honchos who tore into me and called me everything but Hilary Clinton. I almost got kicked out for expressing my opinion. We don't do that here, though. Feel free to discuss your position. I won't call you a radical left wing San Francisco liberal! lol!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

cj
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Gah, it's so tough...I believe that the 2nd amendment gives everyone the right, but the changes in the attitudes and upbringing in our country have gone from 'personal responsibility' to 'it's always someone else's fault or responsibility'. Gone are the days when local charities or organizations assist with disasters: it's now the government's responsibility. Impoverished? Government handouts. Bite down on an M&M that doesn't have a peanut and injure your lip? It's obviously Mars Corp.'s fault.

I WANT people around me to be armed, but I want them to be willing to take personal responsibility. I don't want to get shot by someone who doesn't take the responsibility to follow the Rules (oh yes, it's the manufacturer's fault that we forgot the put on the safety, pointed it at me, and pulled the trigger).

So yes, it's a tough call and I'm torn on it. Given the choices, I'd prefer the 2nd amendment to actually be followed. But I'm also all for an amendment that sets a minimum level of personal responsibility (call it my 'Bill of Responsibilities') that must be followed in order to maintain your rights.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Well stated, cj. It is a tough call. Gun manufacturers all include some kind of warning or disclaimer on their packaging or owners manual to the effect of " If you are unfamilair with the operation of this pistol, seek the advice of a qualified trainer, etc... Of course, they are trying to cover their own butts in case of lawsuits. There are those that would argue that legislating mandatory training would unfairly infringe on our constitutional rights. That is a valid argument. My advice would be to "cover your own butt" Get as much training as you can, because if you're ever involved in an "incident" be assured that some lawyer will rip into you trying to prove that you we're negilgent because you didn't know how to handle a firearm. The more ammunition you have to fight back with the better! I've been around firearms since I was a kid, but what I know wouldn't fill a thimble compared to what some of these other guys
    know. Whenver I get a chance to learn something new, I go for it. And the more I learn, the more I realize how little I really do know. The way the laws are now in most states, a carry permit is a privilege, just like a driver's license. Unless laws are changed, we have to live with it. But we can still vote for our leaders, so support those who support our rights.

Member #
    Liked
    9042 times

Being able to show that one is proficient with a firearm is a good idea on the surface. Do you trust goverment to right such rules or guidelines? I don't. Goverment is intrusive, has an agenda,and is inefficent.Common sense and decency should not be taken for granted that they will always be there. The chance that eventually things could be turned against CCW on the basis of goals that could be written in as unattainable. There may very well be a way to acheive a performance goal to be reached, but who is going to write it and what agency or agencies will be in charge and inforce all this?

Ron
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unlike a drivers license, owning and carrying a firearm is a RIGHT. But I see nothing wrong with ensuring that, before he can carry a firearm in public, some moron doesn't shoot me accidently with an unloaded gun because he doesn't know which end the bullet comes out of.
    I also don't want the mentally ill, minors, and convicted criminals to LEGALLY carry firearms either.
    I don't think that's an anti-gun attitude, it's just common sense.
    Freedom of speech is also a RIGHT, but yelling "fire" when there isn't one in a crowded theater and causing the death and injury of many people needlessly also makes no common sense.
    I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun.
    -Homer J. Simpson

Member #
    Liked
    9042 times

Ok. Devil's advocate time. If we have to prove being proficient with guns what is next? Baseball bats,kitchen knives,computers? We cannot protect ourselves completely from the stumble bums out in the real world. Would be nice.In this part of the state it is a common daily occurance to have a car cross the median on a four lane highway and kill or seriously injure others.These people have driver's licenses, have had to prove they can drive with a written and road test, yet manage to pull a boneheaded stunt and cause major harm.This happens every minute of every day with objects,tools, and to many other things to list. Laws on the books know will punish dolts who cross the line if enforced. So what is the plan to enforce this that isn't being done already other than not enforcing harshly enough the consequences for this kind of thing? Someone has to be the authority to run and enforce the rules and laws. We have that already with the police and other agencies like theirs. Do we need another bloated goverment agency at Federal or state level for this? Where is the money going to come from? Taxes are already high as it is. Things to think about. Ideas and opinions as to how to go about this all please. Thank you and will quit with this. I can here you doing this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32014 times

Texas requires a 15 hour course, initially, then 3 hour updates every 4 years. Safety, concealed carry and penal codes on use of deadly force, and non-violent dispute resolution are covered and you are qualified on a range. I have no problem with it, but having to get a new picture and new finger prints EVERY TIME is a bit of a PITA. The course is 70 bucks I'd rather not spend, of course.

I wouldn't gripe if they made it easier to renew, but I think the course is a good thing for new licenses. I think you maybe should have to qualify each renewal and they should make the target a little more challenging. I've seen some amazingly poor shooters, air heads that had no business handling a gun, shoot the required 70 percent by the skin of their teeth. I think people like that are more at risk WITH a firearm than without. I'd like to see the scoring ring sizes cut in half on the Texas qualification target. That way, you'd HAVE to be able to shoot half way decent if you're going to get a license and, if you can shoot that well, you more than likely are quite good at safe firearms handling.

JMHO, though.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by KaliS-Pugilist
    think about it: to drive a car you need to demonstrate the ability to drive properly. you learn, study, practice, and then your skills are tested in order to get a license to drive. why should a CPL be any different???
    I totally agree with others here that the 2nd amendment grants a right, not a priveledge like a driver's license. Although I would argue that the constitution allows us travel between and within boarders without restriction.... but that's another topic. As to the part that I qouted above, even after all that testing, study, etc. we still have people her killing with their cars and they have a perfectly valid drivers license. I wish there was a way to test peoples ideals, purposes, etc. in regard to carrying a gun. "Are you doing it to show off?", or "What will you do when you loose your temper in a bar after having too many and remember you have a gun?" would be a couple of the questions I would ask..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links