Reciprocity vs Honoring
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Reciprocity vs Honoring

I just applied for my Concealed Pistol License here in Washington yesterday. In looking at the requirements and things on the state website, I found that it showed seven states that had reciprocity with Washington. But, that's all I saw.

Today I was on packing.org and found this page http://www.packing.org/state/washing...?stateimage=96 where it shows states that have reciprocity with Washington, as well as states that will honor a Washington CPL (another 10).

So, here's a stupid question, what's the difference between reciprocity with another state and them honoring my CPL?

The packing.org glossary page shows this:

Honor (As in Honor another States Permit)
    A unilateral action by one jurisdiction (state) to honor a permit or license from another jurisdiction....State "A" will "Honor" State "B's" Permit.

Reciprocity
    A mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other
    Am I to understand that this is just political semantics? Basically, 10 states will "honor" my CPL, whether Washington honors licenses from their state or not. And 7 states have "reciprocity" with Washington, meaning we'll honor you if you honor us?

Because that's the way I'm reading it, which boils down to me as, there are 17 states in which I can carry. Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Ickaber
    M65 (.357 Magnum)
    PT 24/7 Pro (.40S&W)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Reciprocity vs Honoring

You've got it right. Honoring means state A honors Washington's CHL but Washington does not recognize state A's CHL. Reciprocity means Washington and the states listed recognize each others CHL. So, IMHO you should be able to carry in all 17 states listed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Packing.org is outdated ALOT. I'd go with the WA state webpage or this one:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks! I just wanted to be sure I didn't do something dumb and carry somewhere I shouldn't.

The trouble with the Washington state attorney general's page is that they only show states with reciprocity, but have nothing about the states that will "honor" my license.

I haven't taken the time to figure out which one, but handgunlaw.us actually shows an 18th state I can carry in, if I can count correctly.

Thanks again!
    M65 (.357 Magnum)
    PT 24/7 Pro (.40S&W)

Sponsored Links