Georgia's Campus Carry Bill still sitting on the Governor's desk - VETOED
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By daytonaredeye
  • 1 Post By RustyYoungMan
  • 2 Post By NotSo
  • 1 Post By daytonaredeye

Thread: Georgia's Campus Carry Bill still sitting on the Governor's desk - VETOED

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20703 times

Georgia's Campus Carry Bill still sitting on the Governor's desk - VETOED

Help would be appreciated. The bill that was proposed by the House's Homeland Security committee and passed extremely fast and was quickly passed on to the senate. The Senate then passed it at close to warp speed and by an overwhelming majority. Problem now is that our Governor, Nathan Deal, has had it sitting on his desk for over a month now and hasn't signed it. He did send it back to the senate with some recommendations such as excluding child care centers remain off limits but the senate didn't even debate it they kicked it right back to him as it was originally worded. He has until May 5 to sign it. I was quite surprised at his hesitation as he is a strong conservative - through and through - and one of our more popular governors (GOP) we've had in a while.

Heard on the news last week, as well as via numerous emails of conservative groups I have interacted with, that Deal had had more contact from Bloomberg's Everytown whatever (he threw in $25,000 of his own money) than he had heard from the citizens of the state. I've sent him a very fairly worded but commonsensical pro gun email outlining that if you have been vetted by your state's Legal apparatus as well as having been vetted by the FBI via NICS and the fingerprints submitted to the electronic database, why should you be trusted to be a responsible law abiding and legal carrier in the general public - yet be effectively disarmed and non trusted just because you walk over that invisible line that marks the beginning of campus property.

There have been many online articles basically playing hardball in portraying what the campus would look like using photos of folks open carrying - and I'm talking large group photos apparently taken at Open Carry rallies although the campus carry bill excludes open carry - concealed carry only - and I don't think showing all the OC was "just a stock photo" - I wholeheartedly think it used photos like this to instill some fear.

Anyway, in addition to the email I have been calling every day. If some of you out there wouldn't mind trying to help us southern rednecks by making a call, I would appreciate it. No, Deal himself doesn't answer the phone but someone will answer and they will probably say at the end that they'll pass the info to the Governor. The number is (404)656-1776.

I also made a huge contribution to our state's gun lobby - GeorgiaCarry.org as they have made great inroads in getting a lot of pro gun laws passed over the last several years.

I made a comment about attending local high school events armed a week or so ago. Someone was quick to point out that that was illegal and prone to danger as schools had long been "Gun Free Zones". Well, that used to be but one of those pro gun laws we got 2-3 years back was that schools were taken of the Gun Free Zone and with a permit you can legally carry - concealed, of course but you weren't gonna get the whack across the knuckles.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 04-16-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
    Stroker and RustyYoungMan like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    2253 times
    Much easier for the MAD mommies and other antis to lie than to use logic.

"This bill will ALLOW bad guys to carry guns, murder people, and sexually assault women!" Let's conveniently forget about the fact that ANY violent criminal or prohibited possessor who is able to get their hands on a firearm is ALREADY doing so illegally. Ah, those pesky facts and truth. Why bother with them when it doesn't have the shock factor that the antis need?
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20703 times
    Oh, no doubt. What bothers me the most is that every time I do a web search for "Georgia Campus Carry Bill" all the hits are for anti campus carry laws. And they use photos like I referenced obviously taken at OC rallies or at competition meets to plant the image of every kid with an OC permit (in Georgia, our permits allow us to carry any way we desire - EXCEPT FOR CAMPUS CARRY WHICH ALLOWS ONLY CONCEALED CARRY - no OC allowed) walking around campus with their rig on. They also regurgitate the same stuff we're used to hearing - blood in the streets, students unhappy with a grade proceeding to shoot the instructor and probably many more. I know this scenario played at least a part in the Va Tech shooter but that was just one case.

I know that the Gov came under fire when he veto'd the "Religious Freedom" bill which also included the language to not recognize the rights of the "LGBT" crowd. IIRC, if the governor fails to approve or veto a bill after the expiration date (May 5) then the bill automatically becomes law. And, if he actually vetos the bill, the senate can override the veto and it becomes law. Again, IIRC. My political science class was where I learned what I learned about politics but that was my Freshman year at UGA (1977).

Those of you who have passed campus carry laws in your state, I would especially appreciate a phone call from to verify that the fears of shootouts and blood in the streets haven't happened. You do,not need to be a citizen of Georgia to call in and anyone who does it would go a long way to state your location - honesty should carry a lot of weight.

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20703 times
    Well, by now, I expect that everyone knows that that cowardly RINO Governor we have, Nathan Deal, vetoed it.

I sent him umpteen emails citing the positive experience and lack of student gunfights in those states which now have campus carry laws. I also called him every day; sometimes twice a day - again citing every respected study that supports more guns = less crime.

I honestly thought that he was gonna "soft sign" it. He had till May 5 to sign it and if May 5 came and went without a signature it automatically became law. Well, he chose May 3 to veto it and I just gotta think that was intentional; usually vetos go right back to the senate where they can override a veto. Well, our state's legislative session ended on the fourth do no time to get the leg work done.

I suspect it will get turbo run through both houses next session (it went from a House subcommittee and passed by overwhelming majority where it was forwarded by the senate and was on the Governor's desk ~ 5-6 weeks after the initial inception.

What bugged me was it was obvious HE DIDNT GET THE MEANING OF THE BILL. During the speech he made announcing the veto he said he just couldn't accept the notion of hundreds, if not thousands, of students carrying guns on campus. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many armed students there might be - the point was that just ONE armed student who shot back in defense might mean a body count of 14-15 people dead and injured, versus just maybe 2-3 dead or injured in an active shooter situation!

I believe I mentioned that Bloomberg and his gang got earlier amd more well spread out contact with Deal than all our gun owners and our pro-gun organization GeorgiaCarry.org.

I was actually a little shocked at his veto; he had already drawn a storm of fire and brimstone after vetoing the LGBT bill.

Well, guess we need to bolster our infrastructure and grass roots before next legislation.

Member #
    Liked
    4685 times
    I read articles like this post and I think of Wayne LaPierre's statement "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". This is not a liberal vs conservative argument, it's common sense. The PD will not be there to protect you every time a bad person with a gun decides to declare open season. But a large contingent of OC people will give the goblins pause to consider their fate should they decide to further their agenda.

There are a lot of people who would be alive today if the prevailing government permitted lawful firearms carry. I actually recently learned a new term in a post from cwb, "sheeple". People who are easily lead. Something I do not believe will ever be used to describe me.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    I read articles like this post and I think of Wayne LaPierre's statement "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". This is not a liberal vs conservative argument, it's common sense. The PD will not be there to protect you every time a bad person with a gun decides to declare open season. But a large contingent of OC people will give the goblins pause to consider their fate should they decide to further their agenda.

There are a lot of people who would be alive today if the prevailing government permitted lawful firearms carry. I actually recently learned a new term in a post from cwb, "sheeple". People who are easily lead. Something I do not believe will ever be used to describe me.
    But the Campus Carry Bill excluded OC - CC only - and was worded rather strongly intentionally so that, hopefully, Deal would have a strong law backing; if anyone shown OCing they could have their permit suspended for a length of time as well, they would incur a fairly harsh (for a student) monetary penalty. If someone was caught accidentally flashing there were punitive measures to deal with that as well.

Like I mentioned earlier every blog, article, etc published online contained a photo fairly large group of people standing around drinking coffee WHILE OCing. The pictures of everyone in the group showed the people from the shoulders down - no faces. I can only imagine that the photo was from some organized OC gathering of folks obviously older than your typical college aged person - thus the heads were intentionally cut from the photo so the older crowd with gray hair, graying beards, etc. And the photo ran above the beginning of the blog/article with frequent references to the picture with comments such as "Is this the college you want your child attending; surrounded by students carrying guns, etc?" On every article I ran into that followed the same "bait and switch" ploy I put in a comment basically outing the intent of the article by explaining that the CCB allowed for CONCEALED carry ONLY! I also outlined the punitive measures as I spelled out above as well. Surprisingly many those who commented on the article outnumbered the anti gun comments: for each comment by an anti-gun/anti campus carry - there were 3-4 pro-gun/supportive of the CCB.
    RustyYoungMan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2253 times
    Sad to hear a potentially life-saving bill was vetoed.

Oh well, I suppose college students should be told monsters don't exist (because rapists and other violent criminals are probably just "misunderstood" or "disenfranchised individuals"). As if there isn't enough coddling already. Besides, why enact measures to BE safe when you can just put up pretty little signs and FEEL safe? *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    SNIP...
    Like I mentioned earlier every blog, article, etc published online contained a photo fairly large group of people standing around drinking coffee WHILE OCing. The pictures of everyone in the group showed the people from the shoulders down - no faces. I can only imagine that the photo was from some organized OC gathering of folks obviously older than your typical college aged person - thus the heads were intentionally cut from the photo so the older crowd with gray hair, graying beards, etc.
    Yep, fearmongering, hyperbole, and distortion of the facts. Standard Operating Procedure for the mass media and university "journalism".

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    SNIP...Surprisingly many those who commented on the article outnumbered the anti gun comments: for each comment by an anti-gun/anti campus carry - there were 3-4 pro-gun/supportive of the CCB.
    Glad to see the media isn't able to fool everyone who gets blasted with the statist agenda.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links