Use of force/deadly force scenario
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Use of force/deadly force scenario

Member #
    Liked
    727 times

Use of force/deadly force scenario

This happened in Indiana. I'm glad it turned out okay. Crazed man grabs 8 year old boy, puts him in chokehold, and puts screwdriver to his neck. He's been charged with a number of crimes. Would you intervene with deadly force if you could do so without harming the child/bystanders? State laws vary with regards to third parties, but in my state defense of third parties is justified (aggravated kidnapping) if there is reasonable belief it is necessary.

Man arrested for allegedly putting 8-year-old in screwdriver chokehold | Fox 59
    Taurus PT-709FS
    Smith & Wesson Model 5904
    Remington Model 770 .30-'06
    Savage Arms 320 Field 12ga
    1943 Izhevsk M91/30 Mosin-Nagant
    Norinco SKS
    Marlington 336W .30-30

Member #
    Liked
    5037 times
    Tough one. I guess I'd have to be there to know.
    "How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints." - C.S. Lewis
    "If Ewoks can carry guns responsibly, then so can I!" - Me
    Montani Semper Liberi!

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times
    Well it looks like folks did intervene without using deadly force, so it would be a tough call.
    ICUKev likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

dcc
    Member #
    Liked
    6101 times
    I dont think I could just stand by and watch. More than likely I would keep the guy talking an focused on me rather than the kid. The more I talk,mother less he may think of hurting the kid. I learned from some great officers on how people skills can stop most situations.
    TexasAviator and john_bud like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1747 times
    Quote Originally Posted by koine2002 View Post
    Would you intervene with deadly force if you could do so without harming the child/bystanders?
    1. My state allows the use of deadly force in all of the appropriate circumstances, such as described in the article.
    2. In the scenario provided, deadly force is not my first goto choice.
    3. Talking it out would be my first choice, then rapidly escalate into rescuing child + detention of subject.
    4. Application of deadly force would be last choice.
    Unlawful homicide is murder. Murder is a mental health issue, not a 2A issue.

People deserve the government they elect or tolerate.

Member #
    Liked
    3322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    Well it looks like folks did intervene without using deadly force, so it would be a tough call.
    Yup! It's always a judgment call and in this case it wasn't needed.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    3427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by koine2002 View Post
    This happened in Indiana. I'm glad it turned out okay. Crazed man grabs 8 year old boy, puts him in chokehold, and puts screwdriver to his neck. He's been charged with a number of crimes. Would you intervene with deadly force if you could do so without harming the child/bystanders? State laws vary with regards to third parties, but in my state defense of third parties is justified (aggravated kidnapping) if there is reasonable belief it is necessary.

Man arrested for allegedly putting 8-year-old in screwdriver chokehold | Fox 59
    Texas law would permit deadly force in that circumstance, but I don't know if the actual case called for it. Given the actual results, apparently not.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    9104 times
    I could speculate all day an not come up with the answer. But short version: if it were my kid, I'd probably blow the dude away if I knew I wouldn't hurt my kid. Someone else's kid? I'm not sure. I would probably do everything I could short of pulling the trigger. As crass and unfeeling as it sounds, I carry to protect MY family and loved ones. But circumstances normally dictate actions. Depends.
    rayw likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37178 times
    I'd have to intervene but I'm smart enough to know I couldn't get physical with an attacker. That's one reason I carry. I'm too old for that fighting stuff, especially with an armed perp.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    The article does not provide enough details: What was the attitude/temperament of the man? What was he saying? Was he trying to leave with the boy? With such limited information, I could not say what I would have done for sure. If the man would talk with me without threats to the kid, I would do my best to talk him out of what he was doing. But, if he gave me the impression he was going to do harm to the kid, I would then have to evaluate the shooting position I was in and the background of the scene; if all was good, then I would think, I would have taken the next step. BUT, until you are in a situation like that, you will not know for sure and will have to rely on your training and skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links