Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Constitutional Carry In Kansas

5K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  PCS01 
#1 ·
Well yesterday the house and senate voted and passed constitutional carry here in Kansas!! The bill is now headed for the governors desk. I'm 96% sure he will sign the bill... I only say 96% because I personally haven't read the bill and don't know exactly what it entails.

We've had open carry, but now those same people that have or do open carry (and I've only seen one, except for in the LGS's) can now legally carry concealed if they choose. And why not? If they are trusted carrying in the open why not trust them to carry hidden?

Before, if they were carrying open and their weapon accidently got covered up they could be in trouble for concealing, now it won't matter.

The concealed license will stay around and will also provide reciprocity with other states like before.

It is a great day for the 2A here in Kansas!!!

#3 ·
Thats great, I hope Texas will do that in a future legislative session!

#4 ·
Honey...pack up the dog and the kids...were moving to kansas.

#6 ·
Reactions: Ironmagz
#7 ·
Great news, let us know what happens in the final stage.

Reactions: ICUKev and Ironmagz
#8 ·
Congrats! Don't count your chickens, though. Here in WV the bill made it to the governors desk and he vetoed it. There are words for him that I won't use in polite company.

#9 ·
Assuming Sam Brownback signs the bill, I would imagine it will take effect on July 1, the first day of the 2nd half of the year. Not sure if that's a day things like that happen in other states but here in Kansas it seems to be the norm. July 1st is also my birthday (the big 5-0 this year), so that will be pretty special!!!! :)

#14 ·
Outstanding! Keeping my fingers crossed that the Gov will sign. Hope we can get it back in Texas! :thumb:

Reactions: Ironmagz
#16 ·
Gov. Brownback has said he would sign it. Even if he changes his mind, there are enough votes in the state legislature to override a veto.

I will keep my permit due to reciprocity with other states, but my wife is pleased she will be able to carry concealed without the permit once this goes in to effect.

Kansas will be the 5th state to invoke concealed carry without a permit. Only 90% to go!

#18 ·
It's done Sam Brownback signed the constitutional carry bill!! Below is the email from KSRA telling of this great day. It will be legal on July 1st of 2015

KANSAS CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY
LEGISLATION SIGNED INTO LAW

History was made in Kansas today! Governor Sam Brownback signed SB45, the Constitutional Carry legislation which passed with large majority bipartisan votes in the Kansas Senate and House of Representatives. KSRA President and Lobbyist, Patricia Stoneking was in attendance at the bill signing and was presented with a ceremonially signed copy of the bill and signing pen. At the bill signing ceremony Governor Brownback recognized Mrs. Stoneking for her many years of hard work to help bring pro-Second Amendment legislation to his desk.

Kansas becomes the 5th state to have true Constitutional Carry. This law gives Kansans the freedom and liberty that is rightfully theirs and removes restrictions on those natural and unalienable rights that have been unconstitutionally imposed on them. It becomes effective July 1, 2015.

The permitting process in Kansas still exists if you wish to obtain a concealed carry permit so that you may exercise reciprocity and carry in other states, travel in and through school zones lawfully and qualify for the NICS exemption when purchasing firearms. Here is a link to a FAQ on SB45 to help answer any questions you may have.

The KSRA would like to thank all of the legislators that voted for this important bill, particularly Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce who authored SB45 and Representative Travis Couture-Lovelady who carried this legislation in the House of Representatives. We also thank the NRA for their support on this legislation as well as the many KSRA members and Kansas gun owners that contacted their legislators urging them to pass SB45. We encourage you to send a note of thanks to the Governor for signing this bill into law and restoring your rights protected by the Second Amendment.

Today is a great day to be a Kansan!

#23 ·
Whoa!! Never thought I'd see that. Not that I ever will in Illinois, but I mean in any of the states :D

#32 ·
Exactly what it is!!

I think they still need to clean it up though because I keep seeing this part about going through or into a school zone isn't legal unless you have a permit. If that means just driving down the road and through a school zone, then that needs changed. That just doesn't seem right as that would be hard to imagine someone mapping around any/all school zones just to carry concealed without a license.

But maybe our transportation of weapons laws deal with this case instead.. And that the school zone in the new law is only if one was on foot or bicycle etc. which would kind of make sense. I'll have to do some more digging.

#28 ·
Way to go Kansas. Congratulations.

#29 ·
Want to trade Govenors???:mad: Ours took a buyout from the Bloomberg commie regime..

#31 ·
Looking to merge this with the Kansas thread in "Open and Concealed Carry"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.