Southpaw draw, maybe not
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Southpaw draw, maybe not

I like this question, it has many possibilities. I'm by nature a left hander. When I first got into the gun thing. I figured it was a no brainer that I would carry on my left side... well aren't I?

Here's the thing, at times I carry my PT145 strong side (left) in a Don Hume 721OT. For my Ruger P89 I went a little on the cheap side with a DeSantis Insider IWB/OWB. As an OWB this holster leave little to be desired. As an IWB it's a little better. For me it shined when I tried slipping it into the small of my back. The only catch was that it is meant for a righty, but for sob carry it works out to my advantage.

When I go hunting, I carry my Ruger GP100. When I went looking for a holster I found a nice FLETCH from Galco. Problem was that it was for a righty as well. Now, I could have just ordered one for a lefty, but I wanted to give my right side a shot. At first it was a little weird, but after a few hours it felt quite natural. I reaffirmed this by taking my GP100 out to the range and giving her a try. What I found is that I like shooting with my right hand as much as with my left. I find this to be also true with my PT1911. I must be a righty in lefties clothing .

Today I went looking for a holster for my PT1911. Again I found a really nice Galco concealable belt holster, but in right handed only. I figure, I'll give it a shot. For some strange reason, I like carrying the larger guns on my right. Again, when at the range I fired several rounds right handed and loved it.

Also, how many of you have more than one holster for one gun. I myself have two for the PT145 and I just ordered another DeSantis for the sob carry when I want to wear lighter clothing with my PT1911.

Now to order a good belt.
    Team Roster:
    Taurus PT1911B, PT92 AF (Finally fixed), 85ss, 94b, Beretta M9 (USA), Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander, SS Colt XSE Government, Mossberg 500, Marlin 336A, Henry HOO1 and a Savage Mark II

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Southpaw draw, maybe not

I tried carrying on my left but the only way it would work would be to carry cross-draw and the gun prints to much doing that. I generally carry kinda on my right cheek so it is easy to get at if I have to draw weak-hand.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by schlemer
    ... Now to order a good belt.
    If you haven't tried a thick gun belt you won't believe the difference it makes. I wear mine all the time even when I don't carry. The problem is that the buckle is just big enough that it drives the metal detectors at the airport crazy.

I have a Galco belt and I love it.
    Dan Wesson .357
    Taurus 85
    Taurus 24/7 9mm
    Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Ultra II Stainless

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i envy the ability to fire with both hands, i am a lefty, but when i took on archery my dad's bow was a righty so that is what i learned. i went on to shoot competition archery, and can still shoot very well even unconditioned. i wish i could say the same for my pistol, my 25yd grouping's left hand are pie plate sized(fast shoot) and my right hand is trash can sized. in a pinch i could survive shooting right handed, probably, but i'd rather have it in my left. i have really tried to change as most guns including my 24/7 is set up for a righty. i can conceal better on my right because of a back injury, i tend to lean right and it covers better, but i can't get the safety off very well on the cross draw. it is not uncommon for my wifes gun to be on my right, and mine on my left, if she's not carrying.
    God loves you........... yep even on them days

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I carry my wallet on my right side also so it kinda looks like I am reaching for it if I have to draw my gun and the gun sits right above the wallet so its kinda convienent in that respect. I play a lot of video games and I also play the guitar so my left hand coordination is a bit better than other people. Heres to hoping that I never have to find out in a life and death situation, but its fun to practice as long as you have good enough control not to shoot yourself on accident.

Sponsored Links