Florida Constitutional Carry

View Poll Results: Constitutional Carry in Florida?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 83.33%
  • No

2 5.56%
  • Happy with what we got

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Florida Constitutional Carry

Member #
    Liked
    198 times

Florida Constitutional Carry

Let me preface this with I am from an constitutional carry state, until I moved to Florida, and had to apply for my concealed carry permit. I know that everyone has a preference to open or concealed. Also I would like some feedback from the Florida guys mostly but everyones comments are welcome, because what I am about to write will have statements from the states that have constitutional carry.

December 2012 we all remember, and condemned, the actions of one Adam Lanza. As gun owners we take the responsibility and the consequences when an act like this goes down. We understand that the gun grabbers will do their best to attack us from the start, it doesn't matter that none of us have ever walked into a school, airport, hospital or anywhere else and do something stupid. When we hear about these types of things pur first reaction is always, "Aw sh#%!" Then we wait for the DC storm to roll through.

President Bill Clinton learned his lesson in the 90s about passing gun legislation, and the next election cycle, he lost the house and the senate. He also advised BHO to tread lightly in that regard and was basically flipped off. The one thing that one liberal told another that held weight. We as firearm owners hear the lefts constant tirade of NRA talking points about an armed society is a polite society, which in effect is true, but the left doesn't want to hear that, because our second amendment rights don't out weigh their right to live.

On to the point, after the December shooting in Conneticut, I wrote my state level representatives about introducing Constitutional Carry bill in hopes that one of them would bite on the idea. I recieved a response from representative Ronald "Doc" Renaurt, who is an NRA life member. I did not recieve a response from Senator John Thrasher. We have one of the most aggressive NRA lobbyists in Florida, Marion Hammer, who was instrumental in getting many of Florida's gun laws enacted.

Rep. Renaurt had one of his aides write me back and it was the typical Blah Blah Blah second amendment letter, with a little extra because I cited states that have Constitutional carry, but that wasn't really addressed.

Arizona enacted Constitutional Carry in 2010 and the sky hasn't fallen, Montana enacted Constitutional Carry in 1991, for all areas outside city limits (99.4% of the state), and is working on the rest. Alaska enacted Constitutional Carry in 2003, Vermont has had Constitutional Carry since the nation's founding in 1791-- they never enacted any law banning the right to discreetly bear arms, Texas enacted Constitutional Carry "light" in 2007
    as the "Motorist Protection Act," freeing people to carry in their vehicles, and to and from their vehicles and their homes, land or business, Wyoming enacted Constitutional Carry for residents in 2011. States planning to introduce or that have already introduced Constitutional Carry laws in their legislatures:

Indiana • Iowa • Maine • Montana • Nevada • Ohio
    Rhode Island • South Carolina • Texas • Utah •
    Virginia • Wisconsin

My question to the guys from Florida, and I know there are probably a few current or former LEO in here, is would you like to have Constitutional Carry in Florida, or are you happy with Concealed Carry only? Here is the reason I ask in other terms: Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland
    Last edited by The_Intersect; 01-21-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    aphdmansoc likes this.
    "I am commited against everything which, in my judgement, may weaken, endager, or destroy [the Constitution]...
    and especially against all extension of Executive power; and I am commited against any attempt to rule the free
    people of this country by the power and the patronage of the government itself..."
    - Daniel Webster
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Matthew 5:9
    Taurus PT92
    Taurus PT840C
    Hawthorne Florida Meet and Greet 2014

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10535 times
    As a resident of Florida I voted 'Yes' primarily because I believe that 'carry is already Constitutional' !

Having said that, I think that the concealed carry statutes of the State of Florida are commendable, and I can definitely
    live within their constraints.

The few conditions under which I am not permitted to carry are reasonable to any reasonable man (woman). Some of them
    are Federal anyway.

Welcome to Florida! We Rock!
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    35178 times
    I'm not from Florida, but I don't believe government anywhere has the right to require people get licensed to carry.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3202 times
    I agree with Ta on the law side but I would prefer to keep fla a ccw state not an open carry also . Where we live is a huge retirement area and the last thing we need is all the elderly getting inflamed by the people that don't know how to use there brains when it comes to where to tote a AR15. The one thing the elderly will do is vote and once they get stirred up it would bode badly for gun owners.At this point some one comes waltzing in the mall with a shot gun you would bet its a life threating situation with open carry then a whole new can of worms. This is my selfish opinion due to I carry my pistol every day and every where and dont go places where it cant. I am sure others that I respect on here with have a different one but this is an open forum you asked so these are my personal feelings.
    jhp
    Last edited by JHPRICE; 01-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    rodfair and aquajim like this.

it is ALWAYS better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    Get a gun and GET TRAINING. Training is the key to making proper and responsible decisions in the use of deadly force and training is the key to expertly defending yourself in an unavoidable lethal encounter.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8551 times
    I'm a Florida boy and I'm all for it. Its ridiculous if you want to open carry all you need is a fishing license a pole and tackle and say you're on your way to or from fishing. (its easier than walking around with a tent and sleeping bag)

ETA: Look at paragraph 3 sub paragraph h

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/790.25
    Last edited by dudeman351; 01-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46228 times
    Living in Florida I am also for constitutional carry as long as the keep the permit process running as well. I don't want to loose reciprocity in other states because of constitutional carry.

As stated Florida's Concealed carry laws are pretty fair, I would like to see several prohibited areas removed from the law, they include:
    any polling place
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    any school administration building
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption
    any elementary or secondary school facility
    any area technical center
    any college or university facility

Open carry would also be a nice option. How many of the constitutional carry states also permit open carry?
    Raggs, MOONDAWG, RichO and 1 others like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
    I'm a Florida boy and I'm all for it. Its ridiculous if you want to open carry all you need is a fishing license a pole and tackle and say you're on your way to or from fishing. (its easier than walking around with a tent and sleeping bag)

ETA: Look at paragraph 3 sub paragraph h

Chapter 790 Section 25 - 2013 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
    I open carried when I was fishing with the kids in the Everglades, an FWC officer was not very friendly about it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    7408 times
    The article quoted in the OP's post is already being discussed here - https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/po...aryland-5.html
    Make a fast friend, adopt a Greyhound!

"Oh man. What kind of lefty hootenanny is this?" Dale Gribble.

One set of rules for the governed, another set of rules for the governing.

Signs Don't Stop Crimes.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I open carried when I was fishing with the kids in the Everglades, an FWC officer was not very friendly about it.
    Doesn't matter if he was friendly or not. You were following the law. Orange county doesn't like it. But where I live there are at least 5 lakes within a mile or so of my house. So I can mosey around open carrying holding a pocket fisherman. I recited the statute to the deputy and requested a supervisor. I don't care if I scare a liberal. I'm a redneck if they don't like it go the f back where they came from. THIS IS THE SOUTH.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18068 times
    As a Florida native, I would like to see CCW become a part of the State's Constitution, as such, it would become more difficult for special interest groups (anti-gun), to bring about change. I too, believe that open carry here would create undo concern of the uninformed senior population here throughout the state. I know there are those who feel strongly that no government or law should have the right to dictate the requirement of obtaining a license to own a firearm, this I can agree on. However, I do believe there must be some form of legal compliance required for the carrying of firearms. I would not want to return to the days of yesteryear, where kids 14 to 17 carried a gun around the streets of town. And yes, I know some kids are doing it now, but it is noting like it would be if the gates were open to make it legal. Agree or not, that is up to each individual.

Edit Note: I can open carry while hunting on private property or on public lands that are opened for hunting.
    Last edited by AOCM.RET; 01-21-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    JHPRICE and CB236 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links