An experiment regarding the effect of carry on ammunition reliability.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: An experiment regarding the effect of carry on ammunition reliability.

Member #
    Liked
    35867 times

An experiment regarding the effect of carry on ammunition reliability.

The Effects of On-Person Carry on Handgun Ammunition
    Purpose
    The question is whether in-gun storage of ammunition while the handgun is carried on the person effects the performance or reliability of the ammunition.
    Methodology
    Enough ammunition of the same manufacture and lot to fill three magazines must be available. Caliber, brand, and lot number will be noted.
    1. One magazine will be fired at the beginning of the experiment. Any failures will be noted. Group size for the entire magazine will be measured.
    2. One magazine will be carried in the gun throughout the experimental period. This period will be either 6 or 12 months. At that time the ammunition in the carried magazine will be fired. Any failures will be noted. Group size for the entire magazine will be measured.
    3. One magazine will be stored in the normal fashion in the home of the experimentor. It will be fired at the same time as the carried magazine. Any failures will be noted. Group size for the entire magazine will be measured.

Optionally the velocity of the bullets will be measured in all cases. It is understood that not all participants will have the capability to measure velocity and this data may not be reflected in the results.
    Other factors that will not be accounted for due to likely inconsistencies are temperature of in-house storage; method of carry.

I am looking for participants in this experiment. Before we begin, suggestions are welcome. I think we should be ready to begin the beginning of February.
    moxie1884 and Wolf1477 like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    966 times
    Interesting concept, but not sure the results would be meaningful. First thing that comes to mind is that the methodology does not take into account variables (potential setback, etc.) from repeated loading/unloading. It would only be valid if the pistol/revolver and carry mag were never unloaded for cleaning or range use.
    btleslie likes this.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    7408 times
    I can say I kept the same ammo in my weapon for 10 years including a lot of days carrying and had no failures of those rounds.
    Make a fast friend, adopt a Greyhound!

"Oh man. What kind of lefty hootenanny is this?" Dale Gribble.

One set of rules for the governed, another set of rules for the governing.

Signs Don't Stop Crimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10715 times
    I would say I would participate, but then my luck would be I would need to shoot someone and have to start over!

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    Not for me at $1.25/round. $22.50 fully loaded pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    35867 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cws_dallas View Post
    Interesting concept, but not sure the results would be meaningful. First thing that comes to mind is that the methodology does not take into account variables (potential setback, etc.) from repeated loading/unloading. It would only be valid if the pistol/revolver and carry mag were never unloaded for cleaning or range use.
    Depends on what you are testing. I am looking at the effects of carrying ammunition for a long time. The way people treat their ammo is all folded in to the single variable - time carried.

If the results show a difference in reliability or performance, later experiments might look at the reasons.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    Depends on what you are testing. I am looking at the effects of carrying ammunition for a long time. The way people treat their ammo is all folded in to the single variable - time carried.

If the results show a difference in reliability or performance, later experiments might look at the reasons.
    Please don't take my comment to mean I am not interested in the proposed experiment. I would be more than willing to participate, but am trying to figure out how to do so. My OCD makes me concerned about potential setback problems resulting from loading/unloading cycles so I tend to cycle through carry ammo at intervals much less than the 6 to 12 months you propose.
    Would the following sequence work for what you are proposing (using a 6+1 as an example):
    Unload carry round from chamber and set it aside.
    Unload carry rounds from magazine.
    Range time/cleaning, etc.
    Take the round that came out of the chamber and make it the bottom round in the magazine.
    Reload remainder of magazine and chamber a round using the other 6 of the original 7 rounds.
    Rinse, lather, repeat
    Doing it this way would result in no one round being chambered more than a few times during the experiment.
    I am probably making this way to complicated. As your OP and followup indicts you are only interested in the same rounds being in the gun for a set period of time.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    35867 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cws_dallas View Post
    Please don't take my comment to mean I am not interested in the proposed experiment. I would be more than willing to participate, but am trying to figure out how to do so. My OCD makes me concerned about potential setback problems resulting from loading/unloading cycles so I tend to cycle through carry ammo at intervals much less than the 6 to 12 months you propose.
    Would the following sequence work for what you are proposing (using a 6+1 as an example):
    Unload carry round from chamber and set it aside.
    Unload carry rounds from magazine.
    Range time/cleaning, etc.
    Take the round that came out of the chamber and make it the bottom round in the magazine.
    Reload remainder of magazine and chamber a round using the other 6 of the original 7 rounds.
    Rinse, lather, repeat
    Doing it this way would result in no one round being chambered more than a few times during the experiment.
    I am probably making this way to complicated. As your OP and followup indicts you are only interested in the same rounds being in the gun for a set period of time.
    Hey, every experiment needs a control. Consider yourself the placebo.

EDIT: I think I misread your post. This is fine. My hypothesis is that 365 days of carrying ammunition does not effect the reliability or performance of that ammo. I'm not trying to control for other factors. That would require more organization (and money) than available. Perhaps, if I can collect enough data to present some sort of conclusion, someone with more resources will follow up.
    Last edited by MadKaw; 01-09-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I have a problem of keeping the magazine loaded for 6 months. I unload my mags and pistol when im done carrying for the day. Could i just reload the mag and gun with the same carry ammo when i head out for the day? Also for the stored ammo as well. Picking up what im putting down?
    NRA member
    B.C.C.M- Barry County Civilian Militia- Operator/ Team Leader
    Missouri CCW

“The 1911 pistol remains the
    service pistol of choice in the
    eyes of those who understand
    the problem. Back when we
    audited the FBI academy in 1947,
    I was told that I ought not to use
    my pistol in their training
    program because it was not fair.
    Maybe the first thing one should
    demand of his sidearm is that it
    be unfair.”
    - Jeff Cooper

Taurus PT1911 AR
    Taurus PT145

Member #
    Liked
    35867 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdvantagePoint View Post
    I have a problem of keeping the magazine loaded for 6 months. I unload my mags and pistol when im done carrying for the day. Could i just reload the mag and gun with the same carry ammo when i head out for the day? Also for the stored ammo as well. Picking up what im putting down?
    Absolutely, although you should remind me of your procedure when reporting results.
    The only variable I want to look at is time carried.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links