Kangaroo Carry Holster Report
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kangaroo Carry Holster Report

Member #
    Liked
    826 times

Kangaroo Carry Holster Report

Having tried an IWB appendix carry leather holster which I found uncomfortable while sitting or especially driving, aggravated by the psychological discomfort of having a loaded pistol pointed toward my private parts, I looked at several different alternative holsters for the waist or belt. None of them met my needs.

I wanted a holster that was comfortable and offered complete and reliable concealment as well as the ability to go about my daily activities with relatively full freedom and comfort without revealing that I am carrying. This is a personal preference - I'm not working under cover or anything like that. I just want my carrying to be completely under the radar and unnoticeable.

At first I didn't like the ideas of a fabric holster, but after trying several leather and Kydex holsters, I reviewed my position, and as I've previously posted I settled on a Kangaroo Carry Air Marshal 3. This is not a traditional holster made with gun leather, but at less than $50 it is inexpensive. It is also by far the most comfortable and versatile holster I have tried. I'm writing this review after wearing the holster for over a month.

The Air Marshal 3 by Kangaroo Carry is not your typical holster. It consists of a cotton canvas chest band which wraps around the body just below the pectoral muscles in front and shoulder blades in the back. The holster is secured by two robust elastic tabs with wide velcro closures. The pocket for your pistol is on one side (mine is on the left since I am right handed) and can accommodate a small to medium-large pistol.

The weight of the gun is supported by the chest band plus an over the shoulder elastic strap connected to one of three loops on the chest band in front of the pistol pocket. These three loops allow adjusting the front to back position of the gun pocket to your precise preferred placement. I like mine on the frontmost loop so that the gun is as far toward the rear as possible.

Fitting a Kangaroo Carry holster is explained by the videos on the website - use a string or tape measure around the chest just below the pecs. The chest band runs toward the larger end of each size range. If in doubt which size you should get, order the smaller size. My chest is right between two ranges and I ordered the larger size, but there is still enough velcro overlap to give me a secure closure, however if I order another in the future, I will order the next smaller size.

The Air Marshal 3 fits snugly enough to be cozy but not tight. I can easily forget I'm carrying but when I think about it I instantly feel the gun secure against my side. The barrel of the gun points down the side toward the rear - in the extremely unlikely event of an accidental discharge, the round would travel downward and rearward through the hollow between the rib cage and the hips - the worst possible injury would be a graze of soft tissue. I'm not concerned about an accidental discharge with my two carry weapons, a PT 24/7 G2 and a PT 111 G2, both of which have an external safety which is on when I carry, a trigger safety, and the internal safety that won't allow the firing pin to travel forward without the trigger being fully depressed. The physical and psychological comfort of the Air Marshal 3 holster are both absolute. I am in complete comfort and have full mobility of my arms.

The other aspect of comfort is absolute confidence that carrying remains concealed. The position of the gun under my arm on the left side is very well concealed with a button down shirt or loose polo shirt. I wear regular cut shirts even though I am not heavy. I'm no body builder either - I've seen some men who are either proud of their physique or insecure (not sure which) who insist on tailoring button down shirts skin tight. Obviously this is not a good idea with this or any other holster, nor is a tight polo shirt.

The weapon is held in the pocket by a velcro-secured elastic band. It took a few tries to realize that the band is very easily and quickly popped off its place by blading the hand against the gun pocket when reaching for the gun. The bladed fingers slip with no problem between the elastic band and its velcro closure. Button down and polo shirts give easier access to the gun with an extra button undone, but if I were actually needing to draw the gun I don't think even the extra button would stop me from drawing the weapon, especially with a button down shirt.

General rules for concealment apply: darker colors are better than lighter, patterned fabric better than solid, heavier better than lighter. That said, I have worn the holster under a lightly checked light yellow shirt that's quite light. Even then there was really no problem with concealment.

I chose the natural color holster, though it also comes in black. My choice was simple - I wear a white undershirt and wanted minimum contrast against that background. For wearing black undershirts or dark ones, the black would be a better color choice.

Even though I prefer wearing it over an undershirt, the Air Marshal 3 is also comfortable against the skin. For someone with a fair complexion like mine, the natural color is less contrasty against the skin, whereas someone with a deep tan or naturally dark skin might find the black holster to be less contrasty. I think the Air Marshal 3 is more comfortable with an undershirt under it, and it will get less moisture and sweat that way. My 24/7 G2 is stainless, but the PT111 G2 only comes in blued, so be sure to wipe down the gun with a lightly oiled cloth regularly.

Bottom line, I think the Air Marshal 3 gives me better comfort and concealment than any traditional leather or kydex holster I've tried. I'm very pleased with it, and even my wife and kids never know I'm carrying with it. I am completely confident that my weapon isn't going to be recognized and I'm not going to alarm anyone, and I also have complete freedom of movement (wearing this holster you should probably avoid doing handstands or handsprings - but in my case lack of ability precludes any possibility of those kinds of moves).

I think this would also be a very good holster for someone heavier than I am. The holster would be comfortable and a pistol could ride a bit further forward between the underarm and the pectorals.

I guess I should probably end this up by noting that my only connection with the Kangaroo Carry company is that I'm a first time and very happy customer and paid full price for my holster. After wearing this holster for more than a month, I've decided it will be the holster I use daily. I think you would like it too.
    dudeman351, Bonner, Harry and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9388 times
    Nice report and review. Thanks.
    coypu76 and Bonner like this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    5037 times
    Good review. Carry On.
    "How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints." - C.S. Lewis
    "If Ewoks can carry guns responsibly, then so can I!" - Me
    Montani Semper Liberi!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I appreciate the time you obviously spent writing this. I bought a Pistol Wear holster which is similar to the Kangaroo Carry. (Did PW copy KC or did KC copy PW? ) My complaint was that actually getting to the pistol and getting it out was slow. I have a Smart Carry and various other IWB holsters. Getting the gun out is fairly uncomplicated and with practice can be done quickly. Not so with the Pistol Wear (and I am assuming the Kangaroo, also, due their similar design) in my opinion. The PW holster is seemingly marketed for active wear and fits this niche well. Fast draw, IMO, it does not. Does that worry you at all? I gave my PW holster to a more active friend and hope he likes it more than I did. Good holster, just not for me.
    -- Robert

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Got my Kangaroo Air Marshal 3 yesterday and am wearing it during a 12 hour shift right now. Have my UL .44 Magnum in it. The jury is still out, so here are my impressions so far. It has a single shoulder strap on the gun side, which keeps it from sliding down. I have two other belly bands, and both of them would work their way down during the shift, and I'd have to hike them up. Not a big deal, but this one hasn't slid down at all. My others don't print, and neither does this one. The Air Marshal 3 takes my .44 Magnum, and one of the others will, but another won't. This one takes the big snubbie better, though. The gun pocket is a lot bigger. I am aware I have it on, but with a belt holster I wouldn't be aware of it. But with a belt holster, the big handle of the Magnum would print under a shirt. With the Air Marshal 3 the handle is under my armpit and invisible. Fast draw is not the primary consideration in this scenario, deep concealment trumps that when I'm at work. I got this in the mail two days after I ordered it and received it yesterday. I've not had time to practice drawing through the neck of the shirt or by ripping the snap buttons open and drawing that way. I am mainly pleased at this point that I can carry my Ultra-Lite .44 Magnum at work and not worry about printing. It is comfortable, but I am aware I'm wearing it. I have to emphasize the point that with the Taurus Ultra-Lite 444 the problem with concealment is with its large handle. But with the handle under my armpit, that no longer even enters into the equation. I have not a single doubt that an open carry or an iwb will be a faster draw. But I have holsters for that. It's just that here at work I must go deep conceal, and with this very big snubbie it's the only way I can. I literally put this on for the first time right before I headed to work, so I cannot offer a critical analysis about a fast draw. I did not even have time to make adjustments to the holster for fit, I just threw it on and headed out the door.
    Last edited by Bonner; 08-10-2014 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Spellin

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    OK, I'm home now. About to go to bed. Here is what it looks like. Note how well the Taurus UL 444 fits.

Member #
    Liked
    41617 times
    Do you generally wear a button up or polo shirt?

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    Do you generally wear a button up or polo shirt?
    Button up. Snaps. But at work I have to wear a different shirt, without buttons. Wide V neck. While driving home this morning I reached through the V neck and gripped the handle fairly easily. But I haven't had a chance to work with this yet.

Member #
    Liked
    3472 times
    My Pistolwear Trumpcard is very similar. I use it primarily for bike rides now. It is obviously not going to be a fast draw holster, which behooves us to seek cover before attempting to draw if possible.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Bonner likes this.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by codegeek View Post
    My Pistolwear Trumpcard is very similar. I use it primarily for bike rides now. It is obviously not going to be a fast draw holster, which behooves us to seek cover before attempting to draw if possible.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    That's why there are so many different holsters; it's really hard for one to cover all the bases. I will wear a belt holster tomorrow with part of the shirt tail pulled over it, since I'll be off from work. But I work at a facility where even pocket knives are forbidden. Yet the place has been robbed before. If I was caught packing heat, I'd be terminated. That's why I choose deep conceal over fast draw when I'm at work. I've got to go to work again shortly, and am still in bed as I type this. Let me compare the Air Marshal 3 against my two other band holsters. The Air Marshall 3 doesn't slide down and need minor adjustments, mainly because of that shoulder strap - which I haven't had a chance to adjust yet. Also, it is not hot like the other two are. Otherwise, it feels very much like the other band holsters in that I am aware that it is there, wrapped around my torso. It is not as comfortable to me as a belt holster, but it is not uncomfortable, either. It is more comfortable than my IWBs, though. It is mainly that sensation of body wrap that I find to be a negative, but that comes down to nit picking, because I am trying to find something negative to say about it. I wear it over a tee shirt. I will wear it to work again in a little bit. As for its performance last night, I give it an A. Tomorrow I'll have time to fool around and tweek it up a little.

Edit: The one I have is black. But I am satisfied enough with it that I'm going to order another one, in white. So I can wear the white one underneath light colored shirts.
    Last edited by Bonner; 08-10-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Edit
    codegeek likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links