Leather holster

Thread: Leather holster

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Leather holster

I have a question on leather holsters. I have a Bianchi 82 CarryLok and it is a little tight. What is the best way to loosen a little.

Thanks
    Mike

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times

Re: Leather holster

One suggested way, is take your gun, wrap it tightly with zip lock bag, foil or saran wrap. Put the gun in it overnite, or maybe more than that and it will loosen up.

Do not wet the holster down, or soak in some leather treatment until you have tried everything else.

ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

had a Triple K that was really tight on the triggr gaurd of my PT99 took a small strip of thin leather and wrapped it on the triggr gaurd and litterly forced the gun into the holster and put some leather oil on the outside and left it overnight. fits perfect now. the technique is called "blocking" google it and you can probably get a lot more info
    we'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing
    whiskey for men
    beer for my horses

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

I use the same method as Robby. I've never had to add any oil to a holster but some did take more than 1 day. I originally heard about this method when I got a Milt Sparks holster way back when.

Here's what they say: http://www.miltsparks.com/ (Look under Questions just over half way down)
    My holster is too tight! What's the best way to break it in?

Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight. Any clarifications or concerns on the above, or if you would rather we talk you through the process, then please call us.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The method that I used was a two step process. I wrapped my PT145 in wax paper inserted into and removed from the holster a number of times. Then left it still wrapped in wax paper overnight. Worked very well for my situation.

Bob
    NRA Endowment/Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA-ILA GCA OOS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

In my 30+ years of leather work a plastic bag, hot water on the holster for a good soaking and slip in the bagged gun let sit till dry and you have a fit. This was my way to mold pancakes for 45"s and every holster that required a snug fit.

Sponsored Links