Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By GarySlider

Thread: Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes!

Member #
    Liked
    538 times

EDITED - Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes!

EDIT - I stated that AL would issue a Vehicle Carry Permit Only to those who wished to carry in a vehicle. That item was stripped from the bill before it was sent to the governor. I looked at the previous version. I have removed that wording from the below post. Gary Slider

Starting August 1, 2013 Alabama will honor all other states permit/licenses and Alabama becomes a “Shall Issue” state. Alabama issued like a Shall Issue state but some Sheriffs were putting additional restrictions on the permit/licenses they issued. I was mainly hearing they restricted carry on the permit/license they issued in places that serve alcohol. They can no longer do that. Also their yearly permit/license can now be issued at the applicants request for 1 to 5 years.

On Aug 16 Arkansas will join the group of states that honor all other states permit/licenses.
    North Dakota now allows Restaurant Carry. This law becomes effect August 1, 2013. As I write this North Carolina has sent a bill to the Governor to allow Restaurant Carry and removes some places that are off limits plus other revisions to t heir Firearm Laws. If the Governor signs this the bill the new law will take effect October 1, 2013.
    2013 has been a very busy year for Handgunlaw.us. Many states have been changing their firearm laws. Illinois joined the ranks of states allowing Concealed Carry. Kansas made major changes in their law. We added an “Open Carry Section” to each states page. Questions via email have gone up tremendously and I have answered every one of them. Many times I have to tell people to contact an Attorney or talk to the agency that issues permit/licenses. This is the first time in the 18+ years that I have been doing this that I felt a little overwhelmed. The plus side to feeling overwhelmed is that the vast majority of changes have been positive for us who carry firearms for Self Defense!

In late July Handgunlaw.us was responding sometimes with an “Over Bandwidth” page when people were trying to access the site. I am not a computer geek (Wish I were!) and this is the way I understand it as explained to me by Steve.

This was not caused by being over our allotted bandwidth. This was caused by a “denial of service” attack from two Servers. One in California and the other in Pennsylvania. This went on for a week before the issue could be tracked down and the IP addresses blocked. It was a sophisticated attack not just someone messing around. We hope this solves the problem. We doubled our bandwidth a few months back and we have plenty of bandwidth to serve all the legitimate visitors to the site. We do not know who was behind the attack we just know where it was coming from. The attackers were not in California or Pennsylvania. They were just using those servers. Steve and our ISP put in many hours working together tracking down and blocking the attack.

I can’t say, “Thank You” enough to those who have assisted me with the law changes. I could never do this by myself. Thank you!

Handgunlaw.us has been updated to show the changes that have gone into effect as of today. Other changes will be added to the respective state pages on the date their new laws become effective.
    Last edited by GarySlider; 07-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times
    Thanks for the updates Gary! Much appreciated.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Member #
    Liked
    1448 times
    Good info. Thank you for posting.
    ​III

dem·a·gogue
    /ˈdeməˌgäg/
    Noun
    A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

"Why Johnny Ringo....you look like someone just walked over your grave...."

USN 1987- 1995
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4101 times
    Now if Minnesota would honor an Iowa permit it would be nice.
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    9046 times
    Nice update on the changes! We all appreciate what you have done and continue to do! Keep up the good work!
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times
    Thanks for the updates! In North Carolina, we are still celebrating our expansion of Second Amendment Rights!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33294 times
    Thanks Gary! We truly appreciate all the work you do for us concealed carry folks! Thanks!

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Southern Alabama - headed back home to northern Florida
    Liked
    171 times

A bit of clarification...

I just got my Alabama CCP renewed and asked the folks down there what changes will take effect on 1 August, 2013. It's not that complicated or different, really, but it depends on the county you reside in most cases.

Here in Mobile County, the permit will be extended to 3-5 years instead of having to renew yearly; as of last week the clerks and the Sheriff didn't know which it will be...

The real rub here in Mobile County for cops and the sheriff's office (all over the state for that matter) is that you can now "open carry" with your permit; you can head to the grocery store packing heat in full view. I don't blame law enforcement for being upset at this one. The murder rate, robbery rate, and other crimes where firearms are used is very high in Mobile County.

What the cops have a problem with is that if you come out of a place you've just robbed or you're walking back to your car after smokin' someone and the gun is holstered, is that the cops now don't know who or what the heck is going on. So they may be faced with some crystal meth head who just robbed a place, puts his gun on his hip, and walks out the door; the cop/sheriff now doesn't know who's involved and has to make a decision: ask the person for their permit, then they get nervous, and someone throws down on the cop, or the cop has to hope is instinct is correct and pull his pistol.

I know several local cops and a sheriff - the "good" cops that really love working with the public, not these "wanna be a bad [email protected]@" kinda guys. They have all told me that what bothers them is that some people get flat nervous around law enforcement even if they haven't done anything wrong. Now add in the "open carry" stuff and these twitchy kinda folks (we all know the type) get even more nervous because their pistol, etc. is in full view. What does the cop want they think? If it's concealed the cops can't see it and people don't have to worry right off the bat.

I can understand that personally. I don't get intimidated by the cops - I have a clean record so they can approach me and I don't care, even if I decide to open carry. I'm not going to open carry though. As a civilian, I prefer to the unknown to the known. My IWB, MOB holster works great, and I always sit with my back to something so no drugged-out idiot can try and grab it; I even stand in a way (getting gas, grabbin' some food, etc.) so that you're not gettin' to my pistol without me seeing you try. It's not hard to spot the scum bags, so I would rather surprise them with a .40 caliber pointed at their head when they go acting a fool.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by ScarletKingsnake; 07-29-2013 at 12:29 AM.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
    - Howard Zinn

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Member #
    Liked
    2825 times
    My thought is that John Smith will be pushing a cart full of bags. Gun on his hip.
    where as
    Kristal Meth will be tripping over her torn jeans holding a pistol in her hand.

Police tend to look at things through their 'sinister glasses'. Hense the reason that Chicago and the entire state has been against guns.

PS in most cases the robber tends to put the gun in their pocket afterwards so as to not draw any attention to themselves.

Member #
    Southern Alabama - headed back home to northern Florida
    Liked
    171 times

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by samkent View Post
    My thought is that John Smith will be pushing a cart full of bags. Gun on his hip.
    where as
    Kristal Meth will be tripping over her torn jeans holding a pistol in her hand.

Police tend to look at things through their 'sinister glasses'. Hense the reason that Chicago and the entire state has been against guns.

PS in most cases the robber tends to put the gun in their pocket afterwards so as to not draw any attention to themselves.
    I get your point, but don't underestimate meth heads - the reason I began "packing heat" as a field biologist/surveyor is because of the small meth labs I was finding. It was actually ATF guys who recommended I carry one for self-defense in the Ozarks. And I've nearly tripped pot-head grow areas before; as a field botanist first, I've always got my eyes on the ground and I don't miss much, so I'll see trip wires and the like.

I feel you with 80% of cops - but for the ones I know who are cool and try to talk people down and don't thump everyone they see, it makes their job harder. I lived in Chicago - love the town - but it would drive me nuts coming back from the Deep South and not being able to carry. Chi-town is uber liberal, too.

The other problem, that a lot of people aren't thinking about is conservation officers. In Florida, poaching and stealing rare animals and plants is big business, and the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission doesn't play - ask anyone from Florida like me. They have gun boats, are fully sworn officers, and now have to deal with people who can open carry in a state or national forests all the time, even when hunting season isn't in - are they poaching or just being John Smith as you say?

It's either going to come down to two things - the cops will shoot more people (right or wrong) or more people will think they are Doc Holiday and start blasting to save the day when they probably haven't had a safety course or experience and will hurt bystanders and get greased in the process.
    Last edited by ScarletKingsnake; 07-29-2013 at 10:10 AM.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
    - Howard Zinn

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links