Thread: CC questions????

Member #
    Liked
    8291 times
    Welcome aboard, Cariwine.

Member #
    Liked
    4101 times
    Shoulder rig, OWB, or pocket carry. Shoulder rig or jacket pocket works great while driving. JMHO!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Member #
    Liked
    1315 times
    I pocket carry a TCP 738 regularly. I tried several holsters and settled on a DeSantis Nemesis. I carry a spare magazine in a Bass Pro RedHead knife holder ($3.00) in the same pocket. That combination never prints as a gun. I also don't use my carry pocket for anything else.

Sent from my Nokia 925 using Tapatalk
    "They couldn't hit a elephant at this dist..."
    Last word of General John Sedgwick. May 8, 1864.

Taurus PT-92 AFS
    Taurus TCP-738
    Springfield XD .45 Tactical
    Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xXSAINT65Xx View Post
    Hi gals and guys I have a few questions for anyone that either conceal or open carry their weapon. Im looking to get my cc permit when I have the extra cash and I was wondering how you guys carry and when you plan on carrying, In side the waist or out, the clothing you wear or other accessories you feel dedicated to carry or whatever fits you with your techniques. Also what's your weapon choice and whatever els you would like to toss in would be great. I would like to hear from lots so feel free to chime in even if you dont normally carry.
    P.S. Im looking into getting the 738 because it fits the roll im looking for so any input on holsters, accessories, defense ammo, do's and dont's ect... Thanks.
    I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle. I'm not much for all the 'concealed carry' clothing on the market. As far as I can tell, it's just over priced normal clothing that has been rebranded and maybe modified a little. Besides, who's to say folks can't recognize it because they've seen it in catalogs or on the internet, too. I'll stick with the normal clothes that I've carefully chosen for the role instead.

I carry either IWB or in the pocket about 80-90% of the time I carry- which is basically any day I step outside the house and that's probably 363 days out of the year- and do so without any 'specialized' clothes or gear except for a belt made to carry the weight of a gun, a holster and a spare mag pouch if I'm carrying a bottom feeder that day (I carry my speed loaders for a revolver in my pocket). The other 10-20% is when it's actually cold enough to wear a coat (I live in the DEEP South where it snows once every few years but it melts in a day or two) and I take advantage of it to carry OWB. Carrying IWB is not a big deal if you plan for it.

To carry IWB, you first need pants that are big enough to take the gun, holster AND you at the same time. Normally, that means going up 1 size. Relaxed fit also helps where jeans are concerned but isn't necessary.

Second, you need to go buy a real belt. Come to think of it, that's pretty much a given no matter how you are carrying. I don't mean those strips of leather you get from Wally World, Kohl's, Macy's, ... that are made to look good first and hold your britches in place second. You need something that can carry some weight and that normally means something that is made specifically for concealed carry/toting a gun. You need something that is strong and stiff vertically and has the buckle attached securely. The weight of a gun will roll the top edge of a 'normal' belt away from your body or make it stretch and sag in that spot and you want to keep the gun- especially the gun butt- tight to your body. The farther away it gets from your body, the harder it is to hide. That is true whether you are carrying OWB or IWB. Until you've lived it, it's kind of hard to explain just how big a difference a good belt can make. Things don't move around once you cinch it up like they did when using a store bought 'pretty' belt. It's also more comfortable.

The last thing is cover garments. What you choose to use (t-shirt, vest, button down shirt, golf shirt, ...) is up to you. The following is some things to remember.

Standing out is bad, so dress appropriate to your surroundings. That London Fog trench coat just like Mike Hammer's looks cool and you can hide anything under it but in 95 degree heat during the summer, you'll stand out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic. It's called 'concealed carry' for a reason, so learn to hide the fact that you are armed while blending in with every one around you.

Tight is bad. Loose is good. A cover garment must be loose enough to conceal any telltale bulges and you are going to have some sort of bulge some place if you are carrying anything bigger than a .25. That being said, avoid things that are so loose and so big that it makes you look like some kid playing dress up with Daddy's clothes or that just maybe your cover garment was made by Armad the Tentmaker. You still need to dress to blend in and dressing like a bum or a complete slob will stand out. Too big also will mean that there's more cloth that can get in the way if you ever need to actually draw. Also not good.

Thicker is better than thinner. A thicker cover garment is more forgiving when it comes to bunching up or gathering around the bulge. The added weight of the cloth will also help it hang more naturally over the gun and minimize how obvious it is.

Darker colors are better than lighter ones. Darker colors make that bulge less obvious because the slight shadow it throws is less noticeable.

Busy patterns are better than solid colors. The idea here is to break up the outline of the bulge just like camo breaks up the human outline.

Make sure that the thing is long enough. This one is very important when carrying OWB since you have to conceal the whole gun with the cover garment. When IWB carrying, the majority of the gun is in your pants- safely hidden from view and you can get away with a little less length. All you have to hide from direct sight when carrying IWB is the grip frame and the corresponding area of the action and that's above the belt line. You're going to have to reach up over your head eventually and your cover garment will ride up, so plan for it when you choose the cover garment. Some folks that live where open carry is allowed tend to think this isn't important. I say that if you are going to open carry, then open carry. If you are going to carry concealed, then you ought to make #$%^ sure that it's actually concealed instead of being sloppy and hiding behind the open carry law.

You will note that I didn't say a thing about what holster to use or what position to carry in. As a matter of fact, I tried to avoid any specifics at all. I did that on purpose because I have no idea what will or won't work for you. That's something you're going to have to figure out on your own by doing some experimentation to see what does or doesn't fit your needs.
    Last edited by jtg452; 07-27-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    RichO, bps1 and Wino like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Member #
    Liked
    2565 times
    Jtg's reply should be re-posted as a sticky! An excellent primer for first time IWB'ers.
    The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who
    are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. ~ Samuel Adams

Member #
    Liked
    9379 times
    As jtg452 so aptly stated you'll work it out on your own and find what works for you.

I do not pants pocket carry - ever. Mainly because I have other things for my pockets and secondly own no pistol that will fit in my pants pocket in a holster. Spring, summer and fall (Texas) concealed I either carry IWB or OWB with un-tucked shirt from 3 -to - 5 position. When in cooler weather I'll vest/jacket/coat pocket holster carry. I've got a beer box full of holsters for every occasion and of almost every design - some get a lot of use some rarely used. Dress for weather and occasion - casual to dressy, albeit I do my best to avoid the latter. LOL
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nut016 View Post
    Welcome from SE TX. Depends; a lot of states don't permit open carry, like TX. If you are looking at a 738, very nice guns, you can carry in the pocket with a in the pocket holster, or IWB as I do.
    Im from NH and carry a 731 in a pocket holster. Comfortable and convienant.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
    I pocket carry a TCP 738 regularly. I tried several holsters and settled on a DeSantis Nemesis. I carry a spare magazine in a Bass Pro RedHead knife holder ($3.00) in the same pocket. That combination never prints as a gun. I also don't use my carry pocket for anything else.

Sent from my Nokia 925 using Tapatalk
    very well said! I couldn't agree more..

Member #
    Liked
    6854 times
    I alternate between a Springfield Champion Loaded model, .45cal, four inch barrel;
    & my Taurus PT940. I use crossdraw holsters for both pistols, left handed, OWB.

And I sometimes use a decent shoulder rig for the Springfield. I carry openly.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry does not create solutions; they create customers!

Live an honest & decent life; & enjoy it. It does have an expiration date!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links