Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How to get the wife to the range

5K views 54 replies 43 participants last post by  Jim_Nazium 
#1 ·
:icon_question: I've been bugging my wife to go, with me, to a new indoor range in our area, but she keeps delaying for one reason or another. I think she is really nervous about shooting for the first time. I told her we'll start out with a .22LR that just goes bang like a firecracker. Any body else have a tough time getting there spouse, girlfriend, etc to the range? Suggestions?

#4 ·
Let me clarify; she wants to go, but seems somewhat hesitant or nervous. We have purchased pistols for her; with the idea of starting with low recoil/ small caliber and working our way up. I'm not forcing her to go shooting. She wants to shoot; just a little scared; I think.

#5 · (Edited)
You could buy some snap caps and practice the basics at home first, might ease her nervousness. Just make sure there is absolutely no live ammo anywhere near you, and it'll be a good chance to review all the safety rules too. Joining an intro to firearms class might be helpful, ask her how she'd like to learn and go with it.

#19 ·
Yes in deed this is the way to go! Sometimes it's easier for her to learn from someone else and that will ease her nervousness. If you could find one with a female instructor all the better. Good luck with it!

Reactions: RustyYoungMan
#6 ·
My GF was VERY hesitant to go to the range initially. After she finally went to the range with me, she not only enjoyed it, but wanted to go back. She's debated about getting her CCW but still isn't sure. She does, however, "get" my attraction/addiction to the hobby and encourages me to compete in matches. That's a pretty cool thing all by itself.

I would like her to try an outdoor USPSA match this summer, I think she'd do well and enjoy it.

#8 ·
Well if she's scared like my wife all I can suggest is get a .22 and find a way to get her there. I promise once she shoots it your problem is solved!

#9 ·
Good suggestions folks, but I think you could to step back a bit - if your backyard situation allows it - air guns! I end up dragging to DH to the range most days we go, but our air gun pistols are a wonderful way to practice in the security of your own backyard!

Check out our backwoods ******* air gun range! Both DH and I have air pistols and air rifles and we LOVE them! Breaking clays is sooo much fun - and with airguns you can hit the clay 4 or 5 times before it totally disintegrates!
Grass Lawn Tree Plant Games

I bet that the shooting bug will bite your wife after she masters her air pistol! After all, it's "just an air gun" - only the squirrels and chipmunks in the area need to be afraid. She can practice in her own backyard where no one will see her so she doesn't have to be embarrassed about her accuracy or lack thereof. There is virtually no noise - no need for ear protection. She can practice her grip and trigger pull to her hearts content without fear of dry firing a 22lr! It's just downright FUN!!! THEN when she want's MORE - take her to the range and stand back....'cause she is going to want to buy all sorts of firearms just for herself! :)

#11 · (Edited)
Sekol's has the right idea. I started my daughters out showing them how my firearm worked, the makeup of a round of ammunition, and then the safety rules. They practiced with Nerf guns, then spring loaded pistol, then .22 rifle. Eventually they will work their way up to .22 pistol and larger calibers.

You might ask her to go with you without the expectation of her shooting. You could get a .22 pistol and shoot it. When she realizes it is not loud and has almost no kick she may be inclined to shoot. If not you can practice with cheap ammo.

You might offer to buy the range out for an hour or set her up with a women's only class.

#12 · (Edited)
Someone needs to invent a pill for females, let's call it the shooting pill. On second though that may not be a good idea. I remember a guy that i worked with years ago, he woke up one night and his wife was trying to blow his brains out with his 357. Luckely jt misfired, He had been messing around.

#13 ·
Back in 1985 we lived on post at Fort Benning. I had never had any luck getting my wife to shoot. She was deadly afraid of guns. We lived in a townhouse on post and one of our neighbors was a young couple, he was a 2LT and she was a 19 year old nurse. We kind of took them in, and they were very much like our kids, and about as much a part of our family too.

One night I was out of town on business and our 2LT was in the field. His wife came home late having worked a double shift, and she unlocked her front door as she saw the lights on in our house. She came over and talked to my wife, who had just put the kids to bed. They talked for about a half hour before she went back to her home next door. While she was talking to my wife someone who had been watching her for a while slipped inside her home and hid in one of the closets. She woke up with a tee shirt tied around her head and he then raped her. This guy terrorized our neighborhood for about 4 months, raping at least 12 women that we know about. I took my wife to my father's farm and he spent a lot of personal time teaching her to shoot and talking to her about what to do in a bad situation. When we got back to Fort Benning, she went armed until that guy was finally caught. She hasn't questioned the use of guns since. In fact, when a terrorist hit Chattanooga (2 hours away), she told me maybe I should buy some more guns and more ammunition.

She told me she never thought she could pull the trigger on someone until she saw the aftermath of what happened next door.

#14 ·
I've done it with a wheelbarrow and handtruck but to be honest...:unsure:...it'd prob'ly be more fun for both of us if she actually wanted to go.

Reactions: Sekol
#16 ·
Some great ideas here....the air pistol, starting with a .22 and a ladies night and or lessons at the range among them.

I purchased a gift certificate for my wife and daughter for ladies night, but instead, they went together for a private lesson to get started. Felt strongly then as I do now that they would be better off with a third party (instructor) to learn the basics from, rather than me. I'm fine with taking it from there.

A young lady I work with is a bit timid about shooting handguns. Thought the ladies night would be just what she needed to get started. But I knew she wouldn't go by herself, so I bought her two gift certificates so she could take someone along, so she is inviting her mom.

#17 ·
Hog tie her, gag her, and throw her butt in the trunk of the car and take her to the range. :D

Let her decide when she is ready. That usually works best.

#18 ·
I do not press my wife to go. She can make her own choice. She has no real interest in shooting, despite owning a very fine S&W Model 63 and an old-school Colt Agent. Every few years some friend(s) of her's want to try it and we end up having a "ladies day" at the range. She did have one single friend that was quite into shooting and had more guns than I did.

I recommend exercising some patience.

#20 ·
Sekol never ceases to amaze me; who else wouldda thunk up a backyard air gun range! :thumb:

My wife has gone with me to the range, but it's just not her thing.

My oldest daughter on the other hand? She can go through 9mm like free candy at a Bernie Sanders rally! :D:D

#21 ·
Have a conversation - talk to her. Chicks dig that :)

Tell her its important to you. Its something you enjoy, you think she will, and you know you will enjoy it more if it's something you can do together.

You want her to come at least once to get familiar with how the gun(s) operate, and to learn a little gun safety. If she hates it and never wants to come back - you will support that but it would mean a lot to you if she at least tried it. My wife was worried about "being instructed" in public. So we went over safety and function at the house before we ever went out in public. By the time we hit the range the first time, she felt good about loading, grip, stance, etc. Some folks just don't want to look like they don't know anything in public - maybe that's something holding your wife back too?

The key is - it is something that the 2 of you can do together. Drive that home.

The wife and I often make it a date night. Stress relief/practice at the range and then we hit up a restaurant on the way home. Talk about the session, our day, watch a few innings of the Braves game - whatever.

Pro-tip = having a partner to help clean the guns after is the best part of the whole deal - I'll tell you that for nothing!

Good Luck!

#32 ·
Have a conversation - talk to her. Chicks dig that :)

Tell her its important to you. Its something you enjoy, you think she will, and you know you will enjoy it more if it's something you can do together.

You want her to come at least once to get familiar with how the gun(s) operate, and to learn a little gun safety. If she hates it and never wants to come back - you will support that but it would mean a lot to you if she at least tried it. My wife was worried about "being instructed" in public. So we went over safety and function at the house before we ever went out in public. By the time we hit the range the first time, she felt good about loading, grip, stance, etc. Some folks just don't want to look like they don't know anything in public - maybe that's something holding your wife back too?

The key is - it is something that the 2 of you can do together. Drive that home.

The wife and I often make it a date night. Stress relief/practice at the range and then we hit up a restaurant on the way home. Talk about the session, our day, watch a few innings of the Braves game - whatever.

Pro-tip = having a partner to help clean the guns after is the best part of the whole deal - I'll tell you that for nothing!

Good Luck!
+1 to everything RebelSoul posted above. I bolded the parts that I'd like to expand on.

Let her know you won't hate her if she hates going to the range. Much like when she asked you to try frozen yogurt, all you're asking for is an honest attempt to see if she likes it or not. :) Plus, if something were to ever happen (let's hope not), you'd want her to know how to safely and effectively use a firearm for defense.

The second part I bolded: my GF actually said this. She was afraid of looking like a complete noob on the range ("noob" means newbie/rookie, for anyone who is somehow more disconnected from modern slang than I am :)). So you may be able to gently touch on the subject ("if you'd like, we can go over the basics here at home so you know more or less what to expect at the range"). Encourage questions and dialogue. Take the time to explain the merits and pitfalls of certain stances/grips (like the crossed thumbs grip on a semi-auto = no Bueno, etc.).

SNIP... Yea, Jewelry is nice, but a women never truly glows like she does when you buy her a gun she's in love with. For us guys, it also shows an implicit trust that she wont get mad enough to kill you in your sleep. :eek:
Oh man. What I could do with this little snippet. ;D

#22 ·
Whatever you do, let HER pick HER pistol or, better yet, start with a small rifle . I keep seeing these guys on YouTube who select a pistol for "wifey" based mostly on the wrong criteria. Typically, is goes like this, "she's small, she needs a "small" pistol", like a .380. Have you shot a small .380 lately? They are a handful and not very pleasant to shoot more than a few rounds. Start her off using something comfortable and try to schedule range time when there isn't a guy shooting a .300 Win. Mag. next to her.

#24 ·
My wife grew up around firearms though she wasn't particularly interested in range time like I was. I managed to talk her into it one time and had her shoot my 1911. Since she's got degenerative disc disease in her neck it wasn't too comfortable for her. She did manage to blow the center out of the target at 7 yards. naturally she said nonchalantly "See? I told you I could shoot" then she complained about the recoil being a bit much for her shoulder. This all changed when she got her 1911 in 38 super. Now since I also reload for 38 super, I can come up with custom loads with the right amount of velocity, accuracy and reduced recoil. She also fell in love with a Thunder 380 with a purple frame that she's yet to shoot. Yea, Jewelry is nice, but a women never truly glows like she does when you buy her a gun she's in love with. For us guys, it also shows an implicit trust that she wont get mad enough to kill you in your sleep. :eek:

#27 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied with "serious" opinions and suggestions. I enjoy the comedy as well, but need to formulate a positive experience plan. Again, my intention is to go, the first time, with a Ruger Mark ll I have and hopefully work up (skipping over .380/ 9mm Kurz) to 9mm. We'll see what happens. Thanks again everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.