How to get the wife to the range - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: How to get the wife to the range

Member #
    Liked
    3911 times
    My wife has only been shooting for the past 6 months or so. Before that she was afeared of all guns. Wouldn't go near them, wouldn't touch them. Then due to a number of circumstances beginning with a trip to the hospital for me which left her home alone and a couple of news reports of meth labs being busted just a few miles from us. All of which prompted the discussion of home defense and firearms.

At 1st I bought my Taurus PT92C because I also wanted her to learn to shoot and didn't want it to be with a small pocket gun and she was reluctant about revolvers. Yes it took a little but we finally made it to a range. Unfortunately the 1st range we went to wasn't a good choice. It was an outdoor range, crowded and very close quarters. She took a couple shots and said let's go. I didn't argue with her. The next trip was to an indoor range that has been around for a long time and sadly doesn't get the use that it should. We were able to find a time when there was only her, I and 2 other shooters there and she was much more relaxed.

She now owns her own pistol that she picked out herself and she shoots it very well.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    I bought two Hi Points several years ago, and convinced my wife to come shooting with me. She was hesitant but agreed to go. We shoot at a local range that is located in a conservation area in MO. I took her to the range and gave her the fundamentals, firearm safety; firearm discipline and range safety and discipline. She soaked it all in and when she shot my pistols she shot 90% with the 9mm and 80% with the 40 S&W. It was a little humbling, and an eye opener. I made a mental note not to tick her off. She now has her own guns including a 38 Special I bought her for a BD present and she loves to go shooting. Her biggest problem is deciding which guns to take. I hope your wife gives it a chance, I used the competition of hitting the bullseye and she was hooked.
    RustyYoungMan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    34139 times
    I only take my wife to the range in the winter time 'coz just like with deer......it's a much easier drag when there's snow.
    RustyYoungMan likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtanker59 View Post
    I bought two Hi Points several years ago, and convinced my wife to come shooting with me. She was hesitant but agreed to go. We shoot at a local range that is located in a conservation area in MO. I took her to the range and gave her the fundamentals, firearm safety; firearm discipline and range safety and discipline. She soaked it all in and when she shot my pistols she shot 90% with the 9mm and 80% with the 40 S&W. It was a little humbling, and an eye opener. I made a mental note not to tick her off. She now has her own guns including a 38 Special I bought her for a BD present and she loves to go shooting. Her biggest problem is deciding which guns to take. I hope your wife gives it a chance, I used the competition of hitting the bullseye and she was hooked.
    Noticed a trend: female newbies seem to pick up the fundamentals and shoot better than their male newbie counterparts. I have some theories as to why it is, one of which revolves around hard-headedness.

Yep, women seem to have such a hard head that they don't listen to us as we try to teach them all the bad habits WE picked up, so of course they can learn to shoot so well.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Just go old school club and hair drag.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Like a lot here, I had the same problem until about 3 years ago. Stuff got real and she decided it was time to learn defensive shooting. We shot everything we could find and settled on a C9, but, after a couple of operations, even that had too much recoil, Now she shoots a Walther 22 most of the time. She shoots more often than ever before and admits she enjoys it. Got her to bite on a PT 22 for carry
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts
    Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    Ok this is an individual basis also, My wife wanted more time as a family so I got the kids involved at 6-7 years of age (.22 Crickets) before I knew it the wife had got herself a .22 Neo Beretta Target Mod & joined I did not chase/suggest or otherwise persuade her interest eventually she said the kids said it was so much fun she wanted to be involved. She Went to LGS she said she tried several explained what was going on clerk/owner suggested a few and allowed her to try Neos, Buck Mark, Ruger Marks, Sig Mosquito later at end she returned to Neos stating it felt better to her.
    Yuck Moo

Member #
    Liked
    2302 times
    My broker had (since fired) a hot, young, flirty blonde. I went with her to the range once, and haven't been without the wife since! Caution-I HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE RANGE WITHOUT HER since.

Member #
    Liked
    1628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Oh yeah. My wife has little to no interest in shooting sports. I'm okay with that though, because she doesn't interfere or object to my passion for shooting, collecting, reloading, etc.
    ^^Ditto that^^

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    How important to you is it that she goes? She will do it if she feels it is important to You. If it was important to her you would be asked to take her now. I have never met a woman that wanted to do something and didn't when given the opportunity.
    It can cost you if you push her.
    It can cost you your favorite gun when she likes it.
    It can cost you when she brings up the fact that she only went because she wanted to make you happy and now its your turn to go with her to "whatever".
    But hey, woman cost you anyway no matter what so...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links