My Rant - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: My Rant

Member #
    Liked
    1095 times
    My daughter bought her first gun a little over a year ago. Had to be pink or purple, she said. Couldn't find one, asked me to help her look, so I found a lavender/SS TCP at my LGS. She looked at it, fell in love with it, done deal. I knew nothing about pistols, definitely had never heard much about Taurus. Took it to the range the next night, she loved it. And, on top of everything else, Dad had to have an all-black model of the same gun the following day - still my primary pocket carry. So, yes, the gals make good decisions too.
    Taurus PT738 TCP / PT111 Millennium G2 / PT-22 / Model 85 / PT1911
    Member of GOA, NRA, KSRA, GunChannels, Every2ndMatters - Kansas CCHL holder
    Kansas firearm enthusiast, 2A advocate and content creator
    GizzardGary.com - Follow me on YouTube / Patreon / Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
    Common-sense 2A advocacy - Discussion and advice for new firearm owners
    "Don't be chicken - it takes guts to defend yourself and your family!"

Member #
    Liked
    35178 times
    Who made the choice of firearm for me when I got into shooting? No it was not me. It was my parents (I was six )

When people ask me the question about what is a girls gun, i usually tell them the one she shoots best is the best choice. (and if I am feeling feisty I say anything in 9mm or .380 )

I'm pretty much a feminist here. As the father of a daughter it annoys me when people try and categorize girls/women into one class or category of something. I call bs, I tell my daughter, about the only thing us guys have a safe lock on in my opinion is writing our name in the snow, its much easier for us! Beyond that most everything else is fair game
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 06-28-2016 at 11:44 PM.
    atcroft and jtg452 like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    21315 times
    Sometimes a new shooter wants something small and pretty like
    Name:  P239-Rainbow-detail-hero.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  58.1 KB

But you find that the recoil doesn't work for you and the grip is too small. Then a concerned Hubby buys you this for Christmas
    Name:  PT1911 38 super.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  530.6 KB

And makes it Purdy for you
    Name:  LdyO2.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  139.6 KB
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    858 times
    would you let your wife buy her car without your say or opinion????.....unless it's a handbag, then it's all hers......figures!!!

Member #
    Liked
    5561 times
    I don't entirely agree with the rant. I don't even think about gender when it comes to guns but I do think about experience. I was recently asked by our veterinarian ( a man) about gun selection. After asking all the normal questions you should ask it was basically decided to focus on a revolver. It's simpler to operate, easier to clean and care for. When I showed him how a pistol breaks down he wanted no parts of it. Yes is is more of the academic type lol. Which one is up to him renting or borrowing a few to get a feel. So no, gender doesn't play a role but experience does unless you can afford to keep buying guns until they find the right one. You can do a lot of narrowing just sitting at the kitchen table.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    3406 times
    What most "gun aficionados" don't realize is guns are like gloves. Some fit, some are OK, some are total garbage. Then you factor in physical limitations(injuries, birth defects, basic physical differences), and the number drops significantly. I've seen more guys buy their lady "too much gun", and scare them out of the hobby. When I'm assisting with training classes, I make sure to have my wife's Sig P238 Liberty Edition on me. Most women shoot it, and fall in love. Some say it's nice, but doesn't feel comfortable in their hand. Another instructor has a Ruger LCP .380 he lets them try, and it just fits. My wife's biggest compliant about my 1911 is felt recoil. My .38 Special just doesn't fit her hand at all. She grabs her P238, and watch out, Ahmed!!!!!

My personal advice to the guys out there is take the lady with you. Let her hold a few, and see what fits. If she likes it, buy it. If she says it's not comfortable, then pass. Once she finds what fits, and gets used to it, she will naturally go Annie Oakley after a few sessions. If you want to add seriousness to it, get right in her ear and say, "You see that guy(point at the target). He's laughing at you. he's telling you exactly what he's going to do with you. He's saying you'll never fire on him. He's advancing. Closer.....closer....." You'd be surprised how many female students go mama bear at that point, and ice the target center mass.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    6087 times
    Let the person that is going to shoot the gun make the choice.
    atcroft likes this.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8672 times
    Been going through this with my grand-daughter. 3 years ago, she had never shot a gun, of any persuasion. She came down, and we started her on her journey with a Ruger 10/22, which she shot extremely well, and liked better than my Remington 597, Marlin 60, or any of my bolt guns. I bought her one. The next year? She was interested in hand-guns. She shot my various .22 pistols and revolvers, and decided that a semi-auto was her cup of tea. I also had her move up a notch over the .22, and let her shoot a 9mm (), then a .380. She thought that the 9mm was "cute", but my PT638 was "the bomb". 2K worth of rounds. We went to a shop, she saw a pink SCCY, and just fell in love with it. I bought it with the agreement that she learn to shoot it competently, and that it would stay at my house until her 21st birthday. It's a CPX-1, and the ridge protecting the safety banged up her thumb. Dremel tool removed that.

Fast forward to last year. Before the journey home, she asked me about a larger caliber handgun. I pulled out my Ruger SR 45, and we went to the range. She fired a magazine, and the grin would have broken her face if it were any larger. She's coming down the 18th of this month. Her request came in the form of a question. That was "how many different .45's do you have"? Apparently, we have another convert to .45 ACP over the 9 silymeter (

I'm teaching an older adult female during Jess's (the grand-daughter) stay. She wants to learn, but is "afraid of guns". Usual sad story. Husband "taught her about guns" by handing her first a .357 Magnum revolver, then a 12 gauge shotgun. After that debacle, he said that "he'd protect her". Apparently, from the grave, as he's dead and she's still here.

We'll start with a Ruger 22/45. I've found that these guns just seem natural to most beginners. We'll see how she progresses from there. Hubby left the shotgun, and the revolver ( a S&W Model 19). Not going to have her shoot either one. Yet. Instead, we'll use my guns. No psychological issues with someone else's guns. I'm afraid that the guns that hurt her before would simply cause her to "feel" recoil differently.

I already told her that we were starting over, and that, should she find a comfortable gun for herself, she could sell the offending guns, and buy what she likes. She may do that, we'll see.

To me, most people want to make their own choices. They rebel against the idea that others think that they are too inexperienced, or too dumb, to make that choice. The best advice in the world,. delivered in an arrogant manner or tone, isn't. When she's ready to buy something, we'll make the rounds of the LGSs, let her see what's available, and feel it in her hands, and she can make her choices from there. SHE will be shooting it, not me. She will be defending herself with it, I already have my choice.

No matter what we think, it's not going to be us who has to feel comfortable with "our" choice for another. If she wants to up-gun in the future, that will be another choice for her. I doubt that she will ever be any kind of devotee to guns. However, she's not against them, and sees the need for having one in the house. It's fence-sitters like this that we need to have on our side in the never-ending struggle with the antis and their manipulations.
    muddcatt54 likes this.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    814 times
    I had a couple of handguns when my wife asked about one for her. She had shot both my snubby 605 (with 38 special loads) and my PT1911 .45 ACP. She asked about what she should have for herself. Neither of my two handguns (at the time) felt right to her. She wanted something small and concealable, but she also knew that smaller met more felt recoil. Then she saw a PT738 in raspberry, and had to have it. I reminded her about the recoil. Didn't matter. In NYS (where we lived at the time) you can't rent and "try before you buy", so...off we went with the little 380. Well, she gave it a good go, but the only way she was even remotely comfortable was when I let her shoot some mouse fart re-loads. Long story made a little shorter, she now owns a Bersa Thunder 380, a Ruger Mark II, a Taurus 455, a NAA derringer in .22 mag, and a little Davis derringer in 38 ACP. The 455 is her favorite to shoot, but she rarely carries anything, because she has yet to find a way to comfortably carry and conceal anything.

I changed the color of the 738 and it's my daily carry now.
    rodfair likes this.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” ― Ronald Reagan

Milford Hills, WI 2014 Sand Lake, TX 2015 Hawthorne, FL 2015

Member #
    Liked
    7060 times
    Most of the time, a first choice isn't that bad, even if it isn't ideal. I still have my first gun.

The only bad thing is if someone gets skewed way out on either end of the bell curve, price wise...like if someone gets talked into paying $2000 for a first gun or thinks they only need to pay $40 for a defensive weapon. A really important thing to remember for first time buyers: You didn't "fail" because you found the same gun a little cheaper somewhere else later on. Most first time buyers are a little budget minded, so you probably got a good value anyway. Don't sweat the few extra bucks you paid.
    Sekol likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links