Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Recommend a gun for the wife

13K views 98 replies 72 participants last post by  BC605 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I wanted to get some input from the ladies here of what they shoot and recommend for a women.(Gents can chime in too as to what their ladies shoot). My wife is a new shooter. She shot my PT111 G2 9mm at the range the other day and due to her small hands, she had a hard time getting a good grip on the pistol. That made her experience a little less enjoyable, although she hung in there and did some good shooting. She struggles also due to weakness in her hands with racking the slide on the PT111. She also wants something with soft recoil.
Bedside gun, eventual carry most likely in purse and car. Something to make her feel safe when I am not around. Also budget is tight. Would like to find something under $300 that is reliable. I have read some recommending the Taurus PT22. Shooting is not something she would do for fun, but as a necessity.
So, what should I get her, smaller pistol or revolver? 22LR? 38 spl? Thank you for your input.

#7 ·
What's she going to do with the pistol?

Her home defense pistol?
CCW? If so, how's she plan on carrying it? Purse, pocket, IWB?
Frequency of carry?

Fun gun for the range?

Name the job and we can better recommend the best tools.
Right tool for the right job.

#11 ·
What's she going to do with the pistol?

Her home defense pistol?
CCW? If so, how's she plan on carrying it? Purse, pocket, IWB?
Frequency of carry?

Fun gun for the range?

Name the job and we can better recommend the best tools.
Right tool for the right job.
Bedside gun, eventual carry most likely in purse and car. Something to make her feel safe when I am not around. Also budget is tight. Would like to find something under $300 that is reliable. I have read some recommending the Taurus PT22. Shooting is not something she would do for fun, but as a necessity.

#8 ·
As has been pointed out, not filling in the background on what the gun's primary intended use might be leaves the door wide open.

Plinking/target shooting only? .22, providing you can find ammunition.

Self defense? That pushes it up to a centerfire most likely a .38/.380 as a minimum (although there have been many instances where calibers ranging from .22 to .32 have given admirable service in turning a bad actor around), and with concealed carry size/bulk becomes an issue.

Home defense, likewise .38/.380 becomes pretty much the lower end of the power spectrum, along with the suggestion that home defense is better left to a shotgun.

Weak hands/grip? Reliable functioning under pressure could point you towards a revolver as a good choice.

As has been pointed out, the best thing to do would be to give her an opportunity to shoot a wide variety of guns, and narrow the field before trying to settle on one gun.

#9 ·
Let your wife determine what she likes. Take her to a well-stocked shop or range, and let her handle as many that she's interested in as possible. She will quickly set a pattern. Then, take one of the pattern, and let her try different calibers in that style.

After that, repeat, as she now has something to use as experience. You get to go the range, and the shop, she finds a gun that "she picked out". It's a win-win solution. :D

#10 ·
As others have mentioned, let her try shooting a variety from either friends or rentals at the range.
I would also take it one step further,,, after she does the above, take her to a gun store that has a great selection to chose from.
This is one of those things that after some initial guidance, they like to select on their own, kinda like a purse or pocket book.
At least in my case it was true. My wife can shoot all my guns, loves the Sig P238, but still wants to pick out her own.
She wants small, easy to carry, and conceal. I got just the place to take her to touch, feel, and select from, just need to find some time for us to go.

Rob

#12 ·
Try out some revolvers, fewer things to go wrong, no slide bite ever, no lost magazines and they come in a calibers anyone can handle from .22 short to .500 S&W magnum....

#13 ·
I'd let her pick out what she likes and leave the decision to her. I let my wife shoot
several of my firearms until she decided a revolver was best for her. Your wife may
be like mine and not like racking the slide on a semiauto. So she shot my Taurus 66
during the range qualification to get her concealed carry permit and when she got her
permit to carry, off to the gunstore we went and she chose a Ruger LCR. I warned
her about recoil with such a small gun but so far she is happy with it as long as she
doesn't shoot any extended range sessions with it. When the wife is happy, it makes
life a lot easier for me!

#15 · (Edited)
Sounds like the primary use is as a home defense pistol.

Revolvers are good, nice, simple.
I don't know much about them, look for something with a hammer if her trigger pulling grip is weak.

Regarding semi-auto pistols: generally speaking the heavier the pistol the more mass to absorb the recoil.
Poly frames are great for carrying, not so great for the casual user.

Small guns do not mean small recoil.
I'd shop for something with an aluminum or alloy frame.

You guys should investigate Bersa Thunders.
>> https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms
.380 would be great, lot of grip options.
.22 if she can't handle the recoil.

Follow up shots are more important than one hit wonders.

Reactions: Qwiks draw
#16 ·
My advice, and I wish someone had given it to me..... Don't let your LGS tell you, or your wife, what "they" think would be best for her.

Go to a Range that rents. Have her try both automatics and revolvers. Let her decide what she is most comfortable with.

While the Guys at the LGS are probably a great bunch, they're in business to sell guns. They'll be more than happy to sell you the first one and the right one later on.

My $ .02

#18 ·
My wife likes to plink/target shoot with a S&W mod. 41 with a 7" barrel. For larger caliber she likes the PT92. She HATES my PF9... For Carry she is leaning toward the CZ 2075 RAMI. a little more recoil than she would like, but manageable...

#19 ·
Make sure she has the right "mindset" to actually shoot someone, if they were to try and hurt her. The mind is more the weapon and the gun is just a tool used to carry out the will of the weapon. Some women, and men, do not pack the gear to pull the trigger on someone...the gun is not a good choice in the hands of such a person.

Secondly, as said a few times above, you cannot make the choice for your wife. She has to put her hands on each and every one of the guns she likes, and shoot them. Sometimes, that gun that seems dreamy in the store, can turn into a nightmare on the range.

#22 ·
She is a very tough gal and would do what ever it takes to protect herself or ones she loves. I pray to God I would never have to use my gun against anyone but will do what I have to do to protect myself and my family. You do what you have to do, but you do not have to like it....

#23 ·
Ergonomics is critical. Let her choose what she wants. But you both need a context on which to base the decision.

#24 · (Edited)
Ruger LCP/LCR, Bersa Thunder Pro .380 (not the most reliable with ammo, but it racks easily and has a fairly light trigger. And it's accurate), would be a few smaller ones to look at that conceal easily, but still shoot well. The Bersa is under $200 at academy. You can get a real PPK for not a whole lot more.

#26 ·
This is not easy is it. My wife shot the 38 Poly Protector OK but she didn't enjoy it. OK, neither do I. She likes shooting the 709 or old 111 better but racking a slide is an issue so far due to age/strength. My next step is to get her private lessons where she will get some gun options and somebody else will show her how to get physical with a slide. For her, I don' think the gun shop will be a comfortable place. I'd have to find the right salesman and schedule a slow time. As for the private lesson, the guy I will pay is a Glock Certified Instructor, or something like that, this may be dangerous.

#27 ·
Ok here is my advice, and it comes from FIRST HAND experience. First off let her decide revolver or pistol. My wife likes revolvers because in her words "Pistols are too complicated!!"
So at a gun show she handled a few revolvers. Went to a few friends houses and she handled a few more. One of the guns was a Ruger SP101. She said she didn't like the feel of it in her hand, OK move on. So based on her trying out several different guns I was pretty sure she was going to settle on the S&W 637. OK onto Gun Broker and got a decent deal on one. Mean while we were at another gun store and she picks up a SP101............"Ooooooooo I like this. This is the ONE!!!!" Damn!!!! Well why didn;t she like it before,, well the one she had tried had a Hogue grip on it and it didn't fit her hand correctly.

Sooo meanwhile I have a 637 on it's way. Bought her the SP101 and she is very happy with it. Talked with my LGS and they have put the 637 in their store for sale for me. Because it wasn't transferred they can sell it as "NEW"

The moral of this story ------- Let her try everything including the same gun with different grips. I am glad she went with the SP it fits into the family quite well. Top is Wiley Clapp GP100. center is her SP101 3" barrel with Alta Mont grip, (she wanted a bit more texture in the grip), bottom is my Wiley Clapp SP101

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#28 · (Edited)
I am going to attack this from about the same way as others have. Have her pick what fits her and her needs. Now, if she is already firearm broken in and has a basic knowledge of firearms and ammo then do what the others have said and have her try out as many different pistols and revolvers. See what fits her.

If not then I suggest this:

Unfamiliarity with the gun and not reading and understanding the gun manual that comes with the Taurus gun are a great majority of the time why there are problems.

Second thing. People buying for the first time and no little or nothing about the firearms at all are on the rise in great numbers. It behooves these people to take basic NRA or NSSF accredited basic handgun courses to get a starting and useful knowledge about firearms.

Find a beginner course near you.
First Shots: For New Shooters

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training Note: Check the left row for NRA basic courses.
For new beginning women shooters:
Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation AND THIS: A few resources for her... and you. www.womenandguns.com
Cornered Cat
Babes with Bullets*|*Babes with Bullets firearms camps
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/62379-my-new-idea-give-me-your-2-cents.html
NRA Women's Programs
Women In Shooting
Programs

Second Amendment Sisters - Self-Defense is a Basic Human Right

Pay attention to the 2nd and 4th link guys.

Have her take a basic NRA accredited course of a women's only NRA camp or course. LGSs and local ranges are good sources for this. Then we she gets a good basic knowledge then she can decide what ammo, gun, and caliber fit her.

#30 ·
Everybody's covered the topic pretty well but I do have a couple things to add.

Don't fall for the whole 'women need a light gun' foolishness.

Lightweight guns aren't fun to shoot if you are shooting anything heavier than target loads. If you are firing most respectable self defense loads, it can get up past the 'painful' threshold pretty quick. I'd rather shoot a 4" N frame loaded with hot .44 Mag's all day than shoot 5 rounds of .357 through one of the little scandium J frames. I don't even like +P's through one of them things. Steel frame (heavier) guns soak up some of the recoil and adapting to accepting recoil is one of the biggest issues shooters have. The lighter the gun is, the heavier the recoil is gonna be because there's less mass and weight for the recoil energies to overcome before it starts to transfer it to the shooter. The more the recoil gets transferred to the shooter, the less fun it is for most of us non-masochists. The little and light guns get rowdy pretty quickly.

The 'little woman, little gun' and 'woman's gun' stuff is garbage, too. Guns don't know if the person holding them is 5'2" and weighs a buck and a dime or 6'8" and a pass through the buffet short of 400 pounds. If she can hold it on target, hit where she's aiming and deal with the recoil, then it's officially a 'woman's gun'. Dated a girl while in college that had a 'woman's gun'. It was a 2" Colt Python and, yes, she hit what she aimed at. My sister's version of a 'woman's gun' is a blued PT1911.

If she's not an experienced shooter, then I'd suggest getting her something that she can actually shoot. Short barreled guns are easier to carry and hold but they generally suck for shooting at any kind of distance unless the shooter is already a good shot.

If it's gonna be a house gun, then size and weight aren't big issues. Instead of thinking of getting a 'little gun for the little woman', why not find something more medium sized and mid bore sized? Big enough to shoot comfortably (because if it ain't comfortable to shoot, she's not gonna want to shoot it) but small enough to fit her hands so she can work, manipulate and shoot it easily. Something K frame Smith and Wesson sized or maybe one larger of the single stack 9mm's. It depends on what fits her hand the best because not all trigger reaches are created equal. I figure something with around a 4 (+/- an inch or so) inch barrel so it's big enough to shoot but not so long that the weight of the barrel causes issues.

#31 · (Edited)
A couple of things to add if she decides a semi-auto is the way to go.
Quote:Found this online and thought to share this with all. Whether a male of female there are many of us who have difficulty racking a slide. Other than the tip up barrel Taurus mini-pistols and Beretta ones racking of a slide is usually mandatory. :) Here's the scoop on this for we who have medical or low strength in the arms, hands, and wrists.
How To Rack Your Handgun Slide Like A Boss Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8ZRlkdWVc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8f8lREzhn0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2rMXpw6c0

For the female shooter and for the male shooters to take notice of to teach their significant others. :)

This may be a repeat but did not see it.

This is from www.keepingthepiece.com and a great site for the gals. End of Quotes. :)

#32 ·
A couple of things to add if she decides a semi-auto is the way to go.
Quote:Found this online and thought top share this with all. Whether a male of female there are many of us who have difficulty racking a slide. Other than the tip up barrel Taurus mini-pistols and Beretta ones racking of a slide is usually mandatory. :) Here's the scoop on this for we who have medical or low strength in the arms, hands, and wrists.
How To Rack Your Handgun Slide Like A Boss Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8ZRlkdWVc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8f8lREzhn0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2rMXpw6c0

For the female shooter and for the male shooters to take notice of to teach their significant others. :)

This may be a repeat but did not see it.

This is from www.keepingthepiece.com and a great site for the gals. End of Quotes. :)
I remember seeing this once before, can't remember if it was here. I forwarded it to my daughter, who hasn't had any problems racking the slide since. Very good video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.