Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Wife doesnt like Taurus slim 709 9mm. Any other suggestions

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33294 times
    Here's what I'd suggest.

1. Let your wife shop for her own gun. If she picks it out, she will be more likely to stick with it and keep shooting it.

2. If she likes the 709 for concealment then keep it and use it as a carry gun. Buy a second pistol or revolver in 9mm to use at the range. Small pocket carry guns like the 709 are not much fun to shoot at the range. They were intended to get you out of a scrape and that's pretty much it. Take it to the range and shoot a magazine of ammo through it a couple times a month or however often you go, and spend the rest of your range time shooting something fun.

3. My suggestion would be to look for a larger gun either revolver or semi auto, but let your wife do the shopping!
    jwc007 likes this.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    my wife did not like my PT111G2, but liked the 24/7C and Sig P226. For some reason she felt more comfortable with a larger pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I have a PT111 G2 that is my daily carry. I love it ! My wife likes to shoot it but can't rack the slide. I bought her a Sig P250 9mm sub compact thats just a little bigger and just a little heavier than the PT111 G2 so it kicks less. She can rack the slid and loves to shoot it. The two are close enough to the same size so that i can carry ether one in my leather IWB holster. She is 68 and dosent have real strong hands but the Sig she can handle.
    Last edited by Papa97; 01-16-2016 at 03:44 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    My wife and I went to the latest gun show in our area intent on buying a PT 709. Once we got there, she held one, and several other pistols. She decided on a SCCY CPX1. She just liked the way it fit her hand better than the 709. I think the fact that it was Tiffany blue had something to do with the purchase as well. I'm just glad she got a pistol she likes to shoot, I don't care what color it is. I know it would hurt just as much.

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    My wife carries the Sig 938 and loves it. She found it after shooting numerous pistols including a Taurus 24/7 and a gen 1 PT-111.
    Beretta M9-A1 9mm
    S&W Shield .40
    EAA Witness Fullsize Polymer 10mm
    RIA GI 1911 .38 Super
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    Beretta Nano 9mm
    PT740
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 (blued)
    Kimber Master Carry Ultra .45
    Ruger KSR45 .45
    Hi-Point C9 9mm (yes, I own one of THOSE!)

Banned
    Member #
    The Northernmost Capital of the Caribbean
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airwrench View Post
    Easy to operate and reliable.
    1000% agree. Add to that, low maintenance, especially in the bottom of a dirty purse.

Quote Originally Posted by airwrench View Post
    I recommend a small revolver.
    50% disagree. Revolvers only hold 5-6 rounds and although most self defense situations end with a couple rounds I think thats assuming you actually hit anything. I could see being nervous in a SD situation and scattering several rounds around your attacker. Look at all the police shootouts with magazines emptied from a few feet away and nobody hits anything but air and these are trained officers.

I have a Taurus 905 stainless instant backup(1.75") barrel and that thing is SUPER snappy.

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    Rule number 1 - Wife gets to choose her gun. Do you buy shoes, bring them home and say wear these ? No !
    Same thing applies to her gun, her pants , her shirt and her bra.

Rule number 2 - Don't force what you like on wife. She likes to shoot a 22 revolver....buy her a 22 revolver !

That's the rules. Been married long time, to the same woman .
    Cariwine, atli126 and jtg452 like this.

Banned
    Member #
    The Northernmost Capital of the Caribbean
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Rule number 1 - Wife gets to choose her gun. Do you buy shoes, bring them home and say wear these ? No !
    Same thing applies to her gun, her pants , her shirt and her bra.

Rule number 2 - Don't force what you like on wife. She likes to shoot a 22 revolver....buy her a 22 revolver !

That's the rules. Been married long time, to the same woman .
    Hey, Stick Red! I was born there. Tiger Baby.

Well, wives often like to think they know whats best for us in all their wisdom so when it comes to our territory(firearms) shouldnt they heed our advice? But I generally agree that they need to pick out what fits them(from a select narrow list I created)
    Last edited by nola000; 01-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Glock 43?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    Is she a keeper ;-)

Mine is and she still wants to avoid guns so you are ahead of me. Problem is a lot of women are shy about shopping/testing guns, a salesman and husband has to be patient.

You also have to be honest about the compromises. I don't go to the range thinking 'I can't wait to shoot the snub nose double action revolver or the 380, I'd much rather shoot the 1911. But I also don't wake up in the morning and think 'I'm going to wear that 1911 today'

She has to verbalize what she likes about it, what she doesn't, what compromises she's willing to make ... and what color :-)

If she's willing to participate in the process she'll figure it out. Think about the process and how you shorten it or make it less expensive.
    atli126 likes this.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links