Wife doesnt like Taurus slim 709 9mm. Any other suggestions - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Wife doesnt like Taurus slim 709 9mm. Any other suggestions

Member #
    Liked
    7125 times
    I haven't shot a Bersa Thunder, but I second the motion to at least try it. My Hi Point .380 may be the lowest recoil pistol I have...even among the .22's...but it's too big to carry, and maybe not the quality you want (though mine works and shoots fine.)

Bud's had some of the larger Taurus .380's...PT 638, I think? That might be a winner. Low price, but you might want to hurry...I heard they've ceased production.

Oh...and are you selling your 709?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    9047 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Have you considered the .22 magnum caliber? While not quite as common as .22 LR, it's more potent. There are some nice concealable handguns available.
    That is what my defensive pistol instructor recommended for those sensitive to recoil. It really packs a wallop.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Have you considered the .22 magnum caliber? While not quite as common as .22 LR, it's more potent. There are some nice concealable handguns available.
    I carry a North American Arms .22 mag with Gold Dot ammo as a pocket pistol in jeans or when I wear a tight t-shirt and my PT709 would be too obvious. Nice gun, easy to conceal, and the .22 mag is the most under estimated round in the world (as you can tell from the video below). In ballistic gel, it has almost the same penetration from this pistol as a 9mm from a 3" barrel.

This thing is literally palm size, but the fold down grip makes it comfortable even for the average male's hands. 5 shot, low recoil, stainless steel, American made.

Name:  NAA 22 mag.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by CWB; 08-14-2015 at 10:08 PM.
    atli126 and Panda like this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8677 times
    The PT638, like the Beretta Model 84, was subject to the manufacturer not importing them any longer. Discontinued usually means that they aren't produced any longer. With overseas companies, that makes a difference.

I have a PT 638 Pro SA. My grand-daughter, at 115 lbs and 5'4", is a willowy person. She LOVES it, to the point of shooting almost 2000 rounds through it in two weeks. She shoots it far better than any of my 9mm guns. ANY of them, and I have a bunch, as a collector.

Sekol is right though, as both a small person, and a new shooter, Jessica found that my Ruger SR-45 was also easy to shoot. She likes my S&W 625-3, but finds it, even with it's 3" barrel, "too heavy" after a few cylinders of ammunition.

It's not always the amount of recoil that is disturbing. Often, it's the report, the abruptness of the recoil, and the shape of the frame and grips that people find objectionable. In another gun of the same weight and recoil system, they find the caliber acceptable. Recoil is a measurable phenomena. It's based on bullet weight, velocity, and the weight of the platform. It's often the intangibles, not the free-recoil, that causes the issues.

My neighbor, the person with fibromyalgia, shoots her S&W Bodyguard pain-free. Yet, she finds my Colt Government Model .380 painful. The Colt has Pachmayr panels, weighs more, is a locked breech gun, and, too me, has a larger grip. OK, measuring both, it DOES have a larger grip. Yet, to the neighbor, it is painful to shoot because of it's "recoil". In this case, the free-recoil is LESS.
    Sekol likes this.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20900 times
    One thing I didn't see in the OP's post is what the intended use is for his wife. If it's for Home defense - only - then the heavier firearms such as has been mentioned here thus far will work. If she intends to carry it, then size and weight will come into play. And whether she intends to carry "on body", as opposed to purse carry, etc, then there is another layer of logistics to contend with.

I recently shared my wife's stated request for me to teach her to shoot. But, she has absolutely no intent to carry - would ONLY be used in the house, the bedroom to be more specific, for just long enough to squeeze off a few shots but ABSOLUTELY NO USE beyond that. She specifically wants to use my TCP 380 due to its low weight and small size. Even when I mentioned the potential for snappy recoil, she still said she is willing to put up with that since she knows there will be only 7 shots. She has no intent to learn to change mags, reload, etc. she doesn't even want to worry about lining up sights - just point and shoot.

Of course, these are ONLY her stated goals now. After she has a chance to actually shoot a couple of guns (she has never shot a gun in her life), maybe she'll open up to more but - after 36 years of marriage and an absolute disdain for guns all her life - I won't try to push beyond her comfort level.
    atli126 and pauly22 like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    9316 times
    I recommend a small revolver.

Easy to operate and reliable.
    G8R8U2, Panda and jwc007 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariwine View Post
    I got my wife a 22 mag Ruger LCR. She likes it. It's light and easy to shoot.
    And, Hornady Critical Defense is pretty devastating in the gel tests I've seen.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    The ability to rack the slide is often a concern for many women, especially as they get older; I agree with the folks recommending a revolver... that's the route we went.

Looked at both the Ruger LCR and Taurus 605 poly. We wanted the .357 for those occasions I might carry it, while she would load it with .38's; and we wanted an external hammer for single-action shooting... chose the 605.
    atli126 likes this.

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon
    4510MAG61773874084585

Member #
    Liked
    7575 times
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    5115 times
    if you like the 9mm, then definitely consider the pt111 G2....it is only slightly larger than the 709 and a much softer shooter....better ergonomics in my opinion.
    jwc007 likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links