Wife doesnt like Taurus slim 709 9mm. Any other suggestions - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Wife doesnt like Taurus slim 709 9mm. Any other suggestions

Member #
    Liked
    22795 times
    Well, I'm of the revolver school myslef. The fixed barrel to me is usually very comfortable and I admit that I started out with 22's and 38's, but quickly worked up to 45 colt! I LOVE 32's of all types but ammo is expensive if you don't reload. 380 is my favorite semi auto caliber as it's the most comfortable for me- but there are some awfully hard to hold 380's out there, so I have delved into the 9mm and 45 acp realms. As some others mentioned, pistols that are a bit larger/heavier seem to absorb more of the recoil. Believe it or not, I LOVE shooting 45acp as well as 9mm out of a revolver!! Ruger makes convertible Blackhawks for that!

My hands are small, fingers are short, and I have arthritis so my "needs" are different than for many other folks. I have J frames and K frames, but one of the most comfortable size-wise for me is the Taurus Tracker frame size - it's in between the J and K! Just picked up a 22 yr old Taurus M441 44 sp that is a medium sized frame - kind of like the size of the Taurus M82 in 38 sp - and that is wonderful to shoot, and so is the M82!!! Don't be afraid to start out with older, previously owned revolvers and let her work her self up caliber-wise! A good 25 yr old (or even older!) 22lr revolver is a great way to build confidence and skill, then work up to a 38sp. I have a Taurus M96 6" 22lr revolver that is likely close to 30 yrs old that is an absolute treasure!
    Name:  96.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  411.3 KB

You want to make the experience fun for her so that she'll become your range buddy for life! Then look out- you'll be going to the range together several times a week, learning to re-load, and taking trips depending upon where the gun shops are! It's lots of fun to do this hobby with your sweetie!
    Last edited by Sekol; 08-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    32143 times
    The LC380 that Greg_R suggested would probably be worth a look. Adding weight might help too. Take a look at the new Chiappa MC14 Chiappa Firearms or the Beretta Cheetah, also known as the model 84. I made a holster for one of these recently. It belongs to a friend's wife.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    41800 times
    PH has a tcp, bersa thunder, m85 and a pt22

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    I think the 111 G2 would possibly have fit her hands better, which can do a ton in reducing perceived recoil.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46621 times
    You know another thought is Wife Swap!
    silverstring and pauly22 like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    You know another thought is Wife Swap!
    Oh yeah!
    Let me know how THAT works for you. Then MAYBE I'll give it a try

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16960 times
    Just read an article about the Kahr CT380. I got the impression it's slightly larger than the 709, and shooting the 380acp if she's recoil sensitive.

Review: Kahr Arms CT 380 | AllOutdoor.com
    Greg_R likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    Something,Lighter in recoil,accurate fixed barrel,sights and saftey ? The Bersa 380 sound like the option she will not be recoil sensitive with this gun very accurate will hit a coke or pepsi can at 15 yards everytime only your ammo cost would be a bit more but well worth it to accomplish all the foregoing information ! Good Luck/MDT

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31642 times
    Take a look at the Ruger SR22. It's a good gun.
    jwc007 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    Just read an article about the Kahr CT380. I got the impression it's slightly larger than the 709, and shooting the 380acp if she's recoil sensitive.

Review: Kahr Arms CT 380 | AllOutdoor.com
    Been a while since I had my 709, but I think they are about the same size. I can just get all my fingers on the grip of the Kahr, so the grip is a little longer. I also believe the Kahr is a little thinner.
    Ostendo Non Ostendo

A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
    The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links