Views: 33
Size:  3.35 MB

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  3.46 MB

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  3.54 MB

1. The new burner/fryer assembled with the newly cut helium tank top sitting on top.
    2. The melt after skimming the jackets
    3. The makeshift workbench with assorted tools of destruction!
    4. One of 3 buckets that were just harvested yesterday morning from our pistol range berm. Bucket doesn't look very full but that is still 45lbs of scrap shot bullets. I need a new wagon or something!

Harvested those three buckets in just over 1 hour yesterday morning before the heat became overwhelming. Also that was all collected in an area less than an arms reach in both directions. Never moved a bucket except to take them to the car.

That burner is very impressive I must say. A few over at Cast Boolits kept trying to tell me I needed the Bigger 200,000btu burner. NOT! It is very sturdy and will easily support my 200+lb self without feeling tipsy or that it was about to collapse. So I'm pretty sure it will hold my 50-75lbs of lead.

Took a little to figure out and get the heat right. In bright daylight I cannot see a flame and a couple times I turned down the gas and had the wind blow out the flame. Note: needs a wind break. Right after I got it fired up the first time I had to turn the gas way down because it was just blasting heat and flames way up the pot and wasting gas. With this smaller pot I now think I could have gotten away with the smaller 65000btu burner instead of the 100,000btu one.

Next things to address. I now need more ingot molds. Need longer handles on the utensils and a better fluxing spoon. Also I'm thinking I may have to trim down that pot about 2" to make it easier to work out of.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    3147 times
    I sincerely hope you are keeping an eye on your blood lead levels.
    kmw1954 likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    5178 times
    What model of burner stove did you buy?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Nice pix, nice report and nice set up. Everybody loves a cook out.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    What model of burner stove did you buy?
    https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Portab...VV5C3H66N22JQK

This thing should last me a very long time and not just for cookin lead. We also have a very nice 15" cast iron skillet that we use when we go camping. So now I'm also looking for a very large oversize cast iron griddle.
    Bruntson likes this.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    2277 times
    Good looking setup. And the harvest sounds bountiful on your range.

Ingot molds? Get an 18" piece of 1" deep, 2" wide channeliron. Weld end-caps on, pour, and then just chop off pieces with a hatchet. Unless, of course, you are trying to actually pour "one-pound ingots" (Good luck with that, even if they do say Lyman on them.) I did that when working in hundred-pound lots. About seven pounds to the foot depending on how level the things were and how full I poured.

I just used a pair of vice-grips on the flange of the Lyman molds, they worked, no matter how hot they got. The lead cooled enough to dump them out on the dirt
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4213 times
    Harvested those three buckets in just over 1 hour yesterday morning before the heat became overwhelming. Also that was all collected in an area less than an arms reach in both directions. Never moved a bucket except to take them to the car.

When I first read this, I thought "wow, it's all in one spot" but then I thought about it. As long as you're a reasonable marksman, the lead should all be in one spot unless your targets are moving on you!
    kmw1954 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    334 times
    Here's a tool I got for skimming jackets from the melted lead. This is a must to keep you away from the heat.
    Skimmer
    kmw1954 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    At this berm I'm working it's a 25yd pistol/sighting range with movable target stands so even though they are stationary targets with fixed benches and lanes the targets are not always placed in the exact same location. Also the point I was trying to make is that this is such a rich field to work I was able to harvest my 150# w/o moving from my spot. I could have easily gotten more but I have to get off the berm before they went to live fire! Still I need to get a cart or a wagon as I'm getting to old and feeble to be carrying that kind of weight long distances.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by funflyer View Post
    Here's a tool I got for skimming jackets from the melted lead. This is a must to keep you away from the heat.
    Skimmer
    Yes I already have one very similar to that only the basket is a bit deeper. Last night the wife and I were discussing where it was we got that one. It's the green handle at the end of the bench.

Now I need a longer handle slotted spoon for skimming the flux.
    funflyer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links