Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Jumped in, Both feet!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46147 times
    Nice setup! ready for production.
    kmw1954 likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Nice setup! ready for production.
    I Just might need an assistant, so what are you doing Mondays and Tuesdays?
    Czechbikr likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    23013 times
    remember to cast ingots that will actually fit in your lead pot. I made the mistake after casting a bunch of corn molds to pour the rest I had in the smelter into a 9" cast iron fry pan. a week later when I actually got my lead pot, it was easy to see there's no way that would fit. I had to flame cut it to even fit in my smelting pot again.

You can cut down on the fire blow-by by encircling your helium tank smelter with firebricks.
    Remember, you are working with molten lead here. It WILL be hot and it WILL be heavy. do not overfill your smelting vessel to a point where you can't lift it. Your skin can handle contact with molten lead for about a 1/2-3/4 of a second. It takes about 2/5ths of a second to react. That leaves you about a quarter of a second to remove the lead from skin contact. Don't put yourself in the situation where you need God-like reaction speed.
    Flash60601, jtg452 and kmw1954 like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    Like Peacemkr said, plan ahead and make the ingots a size that will fit in your pot.

I don't see the sense in making big ingots just to have to remelt them into smaller ones later. I don't like making ingots that much. I use an old muffin tin that I bought at a flea market and fill them about half way full. That makes the ingots about an inch or so thick and that's plenty big enough.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Yes folks I have the safety thing down pretty good, just remember I went from this----- to this!

Name:  022.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  3.47 MBName:  001.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  3.39 MB

All the same safety precautions just on a grander scale.

You can see in the picture that I have a small wind screen up here already. Only I am looking for a larger, longer pc. to extend it around 3 sides. I can always do the Aircraft Carrier thing and Turn"er into the wind! I have been using an aluminum muffin tray and it has already taken a beating, I may have to go find some steel pans. These muffin ingots fit very nicely into my Lee 10# pot.

I now also have a picture of this helium pot filled with 52# of range scrap and then another picture of the pot after it's all melted and the jackets are still floating in there.

I also have no intention on trying to lift this once it it full of molten lead but I have found that the little SS sauce pan I was using before that is in the original picture also makes a nice sized pouring ladle for ingots. I can easily ans safely get about 4# in that pan to transfer to ingots.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46147 times
    Toilets Pritzker has now quarantined WISCONSIN. Most probably a way to keep the suffering people down here from spending money in your state. I may have to slip across the border under cover of darkness.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Hhmmm, I was just down in Crystal Lake and I didn't have to pass thru any locked gates. Wonder if my wife will be able to come home from work in Harvard.

I just heard someone else refer to him as Fred Flintstone!
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Try Muffin Molds

I often use muffin tins for molds in sizes that will make anywhere from 2 to 3 pounds muffins of lead or wheel weights.
    When a hail storm comes I watch for roofers who take off the pure lead sewer vents and replace them to be able to place the shingles correct.. Most will let you have them if you collect them from the trash heap.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Attachment 465291

Attachment 465293

Attachment 465295

Attachment 465297

1. The new burner/fryer assembled with the newly cut helium tank top sitting on top.
    2. The melt after skimming the jackets
    3. The makeshift workbench with assorted tools of destruction!
    4. One of 3 buckets that were just harvested yesterday morning from our pistol range berm. Bucket doesn't look very full but that is still 45lbs of scrap shot bullets. I need a new wagon or something!

Harvested those three buckets in just over 1 hour yesterday morning before the heat became overwhelming. Also that was all collected in an area less than an arms reach in both directions. Never moved a bucket except to take them to the car.

That burner is very impressive I must say. A few over at Cast Boolits kept trying to tell me I needed the Bigger 200,000btu burner. NOT! It is very sturdy and will easily support my 200+lb self without feeling tipsy or that it was about to collapse. So I'm pretty sure it will hold my 50-75lbs of lead.

Took a little to figure out and get the heat right. In bright daylight I cannot see a flame and a couple times I turned down the gas and had the wind blow out the flame. Note: needs a wind break. Right after I got it fired up the first time I had to turn the gas way down because it was just blasting heat and flames way up the pot and wasting gas. With this smaller pot I now think I could have gotten away with the smaller 65000btu burner instead of the 100,000btu one.

Next things to address. I now need more ingot molds. Need longer handles on the utensils and a better fluxing spoon. Also I'm thinking I may have to trim down that pot about 2" to make it easier to work out of.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    Yes I need to hit the resale shops for muffing tins. At least 2 more, also need a longer handled slotted spoon for skimming flux.

At this point I have access to as much scrap range lead as I feel comfortable digging up. Last time they had it cleaned professionally was almost 6 years ago and at that time from what I an told is they took 3 dump trucks full of lead from 2 berms.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Yes I need to hit the resale shops for muffing tins. At least 2 more, also need a longer handled slotted spoon for skimming flux.

At this point I have access to as much scrap range lead as I feel comfortable digging up. Last time they had it cleaned professionally was almost 6 years ago and at that time from what I an told is they took 3 dump trucks full of lead from 2 berms.
    Shopping for a good used dump truck?
    william likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links