Lyman 358 WC
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kmw1954

Thread: Lyman 358 WC

Member #
    Liked
    4005 times

Lyman 358 WC

Picked up a used Lyman 358495 141gr WC mold and cast my first batch. The alloy I'm using is a base of indoor range scrap with 10% print type added. The range scrap is pretty soft with a hardness of about 10 the added type alloy increases it to almost 12.

I haven't weighed any yet but with my caliper they are measuring small @ .355" dia. instead of the .358". Not sure how these are going to work at this diameter.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    1217 times
    Definitely a little small, I prefer .359 for 38/357. The harder the alloy the smaller they can be. If it's a hollow base WC then you shouldn't have a problem. I've shot a lot of softer cast with no problems as long as I don't try to get magnum velocities out of them.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Western North Dakota

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    That's even small for 9mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4005 times
    A few at Cast Boolits suggest powder coating them. I have time as I don't shoot this gun much and only bought the mold because I got it for a very good price and it came with handles. Which I have seen handles going on ebay for almost what I paid for both. Then at some point I planned on trying coating but wasn't ready to do it just yet.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    2012 times
    For that bullet, cast it soft, don't add lino or type-metal. Soft lead will obturate to fill the bore. Cast it dead-soft, keep velocities low, load some and see what you get. A lot depends on the size of your cylinder, (the dimension of the bore of the cylinder ahead of the chamber that is cut for the case). The forcing cone has an effect on the diameter as it moves into the barrel, too. Lots and lots of variables in every gun and load.

What do you mean by "type metal"? Are you adding "linotype" or "letterpress type" metal. Some of the cheaper of the letterpress-type may have zinc in it as well as other stuff, which you don't want in bullet-metal Lino has some tin, lots of antimony. And its composition is often altered by how much it has been used, as it oxidises in use.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    4005 times
    Flash60601 I first started loading cast way back in 1980 for a model 19 Smith & Wesson and then used either Speer or Hornady WC or SWC as that was before plated became available. Loaded a ton of those on an old Bonanza "68" single stage press. Then life changed, I changed and gave up shooting/reloading until about 5 years ago. So I am a bit aware of what is going on and was quite surprised to find these bullets were dropping so small.

I am using the term print type because I am uncertain of exactly what it is. I have narrowed it down to either being monotype or foundry type. I melted a small sample down and poured it into an ingot and it is quite hard and brittle. The range scrap that I have now is very soft. I'm guessing it to be about 8-9 BHN when tested with the pencil test and then being about 10-11 BHN after adding 10% type which is still softer than the COWW alloy I have. So by what I am reading I am believing this is a monotype alloy or I would think my alloy would be harder if it were foundry type.

I have also read that adding more antimony will not only make it harder but will also increase diameters because it swells as it hardens opposed to shrinking. But as you say I don't want to make this alloy too hard either. So I will most likely set these aside for now as I have 2 other 45acp castings and a 380 cast bullet I'm still working on. But I will probably load up 20 or so just to see if they will shoot.

Sponsored Links