• 2 Post By kmw1954
  • 1 Post By Flash60601
  • 1 Post By jspdrcrmach5

Thread: New used Lee Pro IV pot

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times

New used Lee Pro IV pot

Just received this new little pot today and I have to say I didn't realize just how small this pot actually is. Compared to the 5.5" sauce pan I have been using this thing is tiny! Unfortunately it will probably be a couple days before I get to try it. Today is shot and tomorrow I have to go down and take my brother to a Dr. apt. I am really looking forward to seeing this bottom pour work.
    Czechbikr and darbo like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    You're going to love it, mine is awesome.
    Initially it will take about half an hour to melt a pot of lead start at 9, when You get the pot to about an inch from the top flux the melt and turn down to 7 and start casting.
    Sometimes the lead will cool to much and the spout will clog I just turn the heat back up and use a paper clip (I wear welding gloves while casting) to unplug the spout.
    I never let the pot get lower than half way before I add lead, You will find that the lead will melt faster this way and will increase Your production time.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    1820 times
    au contraire, I like to keep mine nearly full for the pressure into the molds. "One pound out, one pound in" is how I work it. But to each their own- - whatever works best for you.
    jspdrcrmach5 likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    After looking at this and then comparing my ingot muffins it looks as though I am going to only fit 2 at a time into this pot to get started. One on each side of the rod. W/O the rod I could probably stack 4 muffins in there.

Anyone fluxing with sawdust and leaving a layer on top?
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    After looking at this and then comparing my ingot muffins it looks as though I am going to only fit 2 at a time into this pot to get started. One on each side of the rod. W/O the rod I could probably stack 4 muffins in there.

Anyone fluxing with sawdust and leaving a layer on top?
    I flux with wax, I buy dinner candles at the dollar store I dip one end in and swirl around for a second or two and then use a spoon to scrape the sides of the pot and skim the dross.
    After the solids are removed often small layer of lead oxide will form on the top which actually protects the melt from contamination.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    I bought a box of paraffin at the Dollar Store and have been using that. I have read that the sawdust keeps the oxidation down also and works every well as a flux.

Now a question for you my friend. Those samples you sent me were they sized? I have been trying to load the ones I just cast and am getting shavings around the case mouth which I don't recall getting from your samples. I do now have a Lee pass thru lube sizer coming in .356"

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    I ran them through a lee .356 size die and then re tumble lubed.
    To the gun grabbers:

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    I ran them through a lee .356 size die and then re tumble lubed.
    Once again thank you. Those sample you sent me shot fantastic which is of course why I purchased that mold. Now I can't wait for my new sizer to get here!

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Got a chance to give it a test run along with a new used Lee 452-200 SWC mold I just received to day.

I have to say this lil pot heats up and melts lead a lot faster than my hot plate and it get much hotter to boot! The new Lee mold also seems to heat up faster or it could just be that the lead is hotter. The first few pours were a complete mess. I had lead all over everywhere. Mostly because I was having difficulties aligning the lead pour with the holes in the sprue plate. Then I also had no clue as to how fast this mold would fill under the bottom pour. Still don't quite have the hang of that yet! I did have to play with the temp adjustment a couple times but did finally find a happy place.

The mold also is a bit different from the other one I have. At first it had one cavity that was sticking hard and on the sprue plate one of the holes was not clearing completely. Also with this new mold and the new bottom pour I was getting a lot of incomplete fills which again I attribute to my inexperience.

Over-all I am very happy with this new pot and the new mold. It was a great learning experience today and looking forward to the next session.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Let the first pour sit in the mold for a couple of minutes to bring the mold up to temperature, the first bullets probably won't be any good but after that You should be good to go.
    I usually switch back and forth between a couple of molds to keep one from getting too hot.
    kmw1954 likes this.
    To the gun grabbers:

Sponsored Links