Who here is actively casting?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Who here is actively casting?

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times

Who here is actively casting?

I have once again had the brilliant idea to try casting and have started looking at equipment, Furnaces, pots, molds, dippers.

One bullet mold I am very much interested in is the Lee 356-102-1R to be used in my 380 loadings. So then I have to ask, if anyone is casting these would you be willing to part with a few that I could try before spending the money on a mold?
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    I still cast but not that one. I prefer the old Lyman molds, but have a few Lees, and I like how they work. The 356-102-1R looks like a good profile, I'd bet it would work with any gun that shot RN-FMJ well.

Mostly now, I just do the Keith-type sWC for 357/38 , the 230 RN, and a 124 conical in 9mm which works in 38/357 too
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    6577 times
    I've been actively casting since 1977 and did it infrequently for 20 years before that. I don't cast that Lee # you listed, always stayed below 100 gr. for 380, I like 95 gr. I have a few Lee molds, mostly old #'s they no longer catalog; but then most of my Ideal/Lyman #'s are no longer catalogued, as well. I use a Lee 10# bottom pour pot, works well for me. I use 2 RCBS lubrisizers, one for soft loob and the other for hard loob, heaters under both if I need to heat things up.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21004 times
    I only cast in the winter anymore and then only for .38 special .358 140gn SWC's and 200gn .452 Colts.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    Thanks guys, not certain how extensive I'm going to get in this but I do believe I'm going to give it a try. I certainly have the time for it.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    22051 times
    The Lee molds are pretty decent and depending on the alloy you're casting with, weights seem pretty accurate. Granted they may not give you everything you want but they're also not 100 dollar molds either. With casting, you have several paths you can take. You can buy premade ingots and use a small pot to cast directly from the ingots or you can recover lead and mix your own alloys and pour your own ingots or you can melt wheel weights, cast your own ingots and mold from those. It really matters how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. After casting, you have your choice of coating/lube methods. you can lube and size, you can tumble lube, you can powder coat or if you're really feeling adventurous, you can copper plate. Your equipment will vary based on how you want to go about it. I do recommend a bottom pour pot like the Lee Pro 4 20 pounder. If you're reclaiming lead, Find a cast iron cornbread mold or a cast iron muffin mold.

For 380 auto I would try to stick with a weight that most closely matches what you would shoot in factory ammo. If you're shooting 95 gr factory stuff, then cast at 95 gr. If you want to shoot 100-102 gr, then go for it. The mold isn't that expensive.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    . Your equipment will vary based on how you want to go about it. I do recommend a bottom pour pot like the Lee Pro 4 20 pounder. If you're reclaiming lead, Find a cast iron cornbread mold or a cast iron muffin mold.

For 380 auto I would try to stick with a weight that most closely matches what you would shoot in factory ammo. If you're shooting 95 gr factory stuff, then cast at 95 gr. If you want to shoot 100-102 gr, then go for it. The mold isn't that expensive.
    I understand the usefulness of the bottom pour pot but I also understand they leak and with some it's more so than others. Not ideal to me.

The bullet I'm using now is 100gr plated reload. No factory stuff.

Join the fun!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    Casting? Well, yes. I'm looking to cast a couple of beauties in a three person movie, starring me! Oh, wait, sorry, wrong web site...

Member #
    Liked
    921 times
    I have that mold and use them for my one .380 and in 9mm for steel challenge.
    I have some already cast and lubed PM Me with a mailing address and I will get them to You ASAP.
    william and Fishinkeylargo like this.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    I have that mold and use them for my one .380 and in 9mm for steel challenge.
    I have some already cast and lubed PM Me with a mailing address and I will get them to You ASAP.
    Thank you, PM on the way

Join the fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links