Doing some Casting and Powder Coating - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Doing some Casting and Powder Coating

Member #
    Liked
    22231 times
    what molds and gas checks are you using for the Mosin ammo? Also, did you slug the barrel before deciding on the mold?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    what molds and gas checks are you using for the Mosin ammo? Also, did you slug the barrel before deciding on the mold?
    I always slug the bore on handguns or rifle that I plan to shoot cast lead in,if the bullet doesn't fit it not going to shoot accurately and your going to get leading, on revolvers I always fit the bullet to the cylinder throats as they should always be larger in dia. than the bore of the revolver anyway, It's rare that they are not but it does happen in which case jacketed bullets are the only choice unless you have the cylinder throats reamed out.

Once I get my groove to groove measurements from the slug I also measure the inside case neck dia. of once fired unsized brass I plan on using, if you use several different brands especially in rifles with tight chambers it's a good idea to measure those as well as not all brass is the same thickness,their isn't much point in having a bullet sized properly for the bore that want fit in the chamber. I haven't run across that yet but it does happen sometime especially in some of the old war horses.

Next I will look for a mold that cast a bullet around .002" over that groove dia. that will also chamber in the gun once the bullet is sized, I can always size it down smaller if needed but I like to start out larger than I need to begin with. As to gas check I use copper Gator checks I get from Gas Checks - Sage's Outdoors there much cheaper and work just as well as Hornady or Lyman which are actually both the same gas check just sold under different names at different prices. I apply my checks with either my RCBS Lube A Matic or use the Lee or NOE push through sizer. The Lee sizers are fine for most applications but you have to check the final sized bullet to make sure it's sizing to whats stamped on the die. You can always hone them out if necessary if they are off a bit and it very easy to do. The NOE push through body and sizing die bushings sold individually have many more options as to sizes and the tolerances are spot on.

As to the mold I used in the above thread it's a custom mold by Tom over at Accurate molds that I modified the dia. slightly from his original design,basically I enlarged it to .315" on the driving bands so I could size it to .314" for my .312" groove 91/30 Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds The bullet will only fit my 91/30 as it is to long for my M44 which has a much shallower throat as most all the M44's will. However if the bullet will cast large enough to fill the groove of your rifle the Lee 160 gr. TL RN or Lee 185 gr. RN both .312" gas check bullets will shoot very well in both rifles, I used them both will excellent results not only in the Mosin rifles but in my SKS rifles as well.
    Last edited by reloader762; 02-26-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    Fishinkeylargo and Czechbikr like this.
    The Reloaders Network discord Channel
    https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Member #
    Liked
    540 times
    That is some wonderful looking work you have done there. I for one like it. Good job.

The powder coating will keep from leading and they shoot as well as plated bullets.
    Czechbikr and muddcatt54 like this.
    Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links