Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Slug for Circuit Judge? Sabot or rifled

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

Slug for Circuit Judge? Sabot or rifled

Hi,
    I was really interested in loading some slugs for my Circuit Judge. I’ve been casting/loading 000 with pretty good success. But wanted some for punch and possible better accuracy.

With that being said…. The Circuit Judge is already rifled (for 45LC), so would I be correct in saying that the Sabot (non rifled slug) would be my better choice?

Also, where can I find molds for this? Or can the molds be made? If so, where would be a good source for this?

Thanks!!
    "Individual rights were not originated to protect criminals but to bring freedom to honest men. Into this area of protection then dived those who needed "freedom" and "Individual liberty" to cover their own questionable activities. Freedom is for honest people." -L Ron Hubbard

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    9047 times
    Sabot. Be careful! She'll pack a whallop!
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    That's what I want!! Haha, know anywhere I could buy a mold? Or how to make one?
    "Individual rights were not originated to protect criminals but to bring freedom to honest men. Into this area of protection then dived those who needed "freedom" and "Individual liberty" to cover their own questionable activities. Freedom is for honest people." -L Ron Hubbard

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6589 times
    Mountain Molds. Go to the website and you can design what you want. His workmanship is flawless and very fast, not all that expensive for a custom mold. You can probably get by with a single cavity, that will keep the cost down, too.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18069 times
    I am sure you have thought of this, but remember, the sabot will be the dia. of your barrel and the slug will be smaller. Good luck and don't blow your gun up.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Actually I have not thought about that, I'm new to slugs of any kind. Although the barrel of the Judge would be bigger, considering the idea of a 45 able to go down it. So i don't think a sabot for a 410 would give me any issue, besides possibly bad accuracy. But any thoughts or advice is helpful on this

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gehlsurf View Post
    Actually I have not thought about that, I'm new to slugs of any kind. Although the barrel of the Judge would be bigger, considering the idea of a 45 able to go down it. So i don't think a sabot for a 410 would give me any issue, besides possibly bad accuracy. But any thoughts or advice is helpful on this
    Well, the sabot will have to fit in the 410 shell, that is a given; the slug must be just small enough to fit in the sabot. Now that the bore of the Judge is somewhere around .450 to .452 and your slug is going to be around .400 sitting in a sabot that is at least .410, the sabot is not going to engage the lands and groves of the barrel with consistency, therefore your accuracy is going be very little if any beyond 15 feet. .....I see no advantage to using a .410 slug at all when you have the .45 colt that will do a much better job and more accurately as well. Have fun and be careful. ....I have not done this, so my figures may be off some.

Member #
    Liked
    6856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCM.RET View Post
    .....I see no advantage to using a .410 slug at all when you have the .45 colt that will do a much better job and more accurately as well
    Exactly what I was thinking. I shoot a lot of slugs during deer season and in getting ready for deer season. (Granted, I don't deer hunt with a .410.) Any slug in comparision to a .45LC, I see nothing but disadvantage. The .45LC is more than ample to get the job done.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.

Member #
    Liked
    6589 times
    I use Winchester 41 shot cups when loading 444 Marlin cases with heavy shot for use in a 2.5" judge. Works well and the brass cases don't swell so they drop right out after firing.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guesser View Post
    I use Winchester 41 shot cups when loading 444 Marlin cases with heavy shot for use in a 2.5" judge. Works well and the brass cases don't swell so they drop right out after firing.
    Do you use a slight roll crimp with a cardboard over card? Sounds interesting.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links