Simple and effective "mods" 709
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Simple and effective "mods" 709

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Simple and effective "mods" 709

Ok I know some of you might grunt at this lol but below is a list of a few modifications I have made to my 709 slim simply for ease of use.

Modifications:
    -polished outer barrel and outer chamber (visible)
    -Traction Grips
    -finger extension (removable)
    - Glow in the dark sights
    Glow in the dark illuminating grips (emergency)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366196426.538635.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366196476.971057.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  38.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366196581.687820.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  24.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366197082.918064.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366197330.611553.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  14.3 KB
    I know some of the images are hard to see but I'm person the illuminated grips show pretty well in the dark incase you have to reach for your gun at night just incase. The sights work very well. Though I am going to completely re do them with a super white base before I apply the coat of glow. And I polished the barrel because the barrel wear marks were annoying plus that in combination with polishing the rail frame makes the slide a lot smoother. And the polished barrel looks way better IMO.
    Let me know what you guys think
    Last edited by BonnyTheBull; 04-17-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    TexasDeputy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    767 times
    Welcome aboard and good job. I can say the grips and sights are good mods. I have never done the polish of the barrel but have done the feed ramp. I did several types of glow paint on the sights and finally ended up with glownation paint(green) pigment on the back sites and a red trueglow fiber optic (made for shotguns) on the front with a Crimson Trace laser attached. Over two years with this set up and it works
    great.
    When the P(Edit)HTF, don't be in front of the fan.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33564 times
    Very nice ! Did you modify a set of tritium sights to fit the 709, or are there aftermarket sights now made for it?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9171 times
    One additional "mod" is to take out the striker assembly. Then inspect the striker channel and the striker polymer composite tube. Some guns will have a LOT of chatter marks in the metal of the channel. That can be polished out by wrapping 600-2000 grit paper around a cleaning patch rod and spinning it in a drill. (My 740 was factory very nice by the way -- a "major brand" gun on the other hand wasn't) BUT... the striker assembly in the 740 had a raised ridge on it that was slightly catching on the safety lock and causing a gritty feel when firing. Smoothing that out with a fine grit diamond file made a big improvement in trigger feel.

May not be for everyone to do the above, but it helped mine. Your results will depend on your skill and I take zero responsibility for your actions, even those that are a result of my advice. Even if my advice is 100% guaranteed* !

*guaranteed to be advice, not correct, smart or even helpful.
    I believe in gun control! Starting with a firm 2 handed grip....

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    John, I was actually thinking the same exact thing! When slowly pulling the trigger at the end of the take up it feels a bit gritty. And I thought about taking it apart and polishing a few parts but decided to further investigate what are the correct parts to polish instead of going on a bling spree lol

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Very nice ! Did you modify a set of tritium sights to fit the 709, or are there aftermarket sights now made for it?
    I actually just went to my local arts and crafts store and bought some multi purpose glow in the dark paint (acrylic if I'm not mistaken) and put two thin layers on the sights and I was surprised how well they lit up at night. So I'm going to completely re-do them by removing the factory "off-white" dots and replacing them with a dot of bright white nail polish and when dry, adding a few layers of the clear glow in the dark paint. That way I have good bright white visibility during the day and good glow in the dark at night which I'm sure will reflect well off of the bright white.

Member #
    Liked
    767 times
    You will find that some clear finger nail paint over the glow in the dark paint will make it last longer on the sights.
    When the P(Edit)HTF, don't be in front of the fan.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Added a houge jr. grip sleeve. Also dremeled down the trigger guard where it meets the grip. Feels more comfortable to me. Also had to work on the sights to fix the low left problem. Put it in a gun vice and with the sights fully adjusted it was real low left still. Shoots an inch group all day long to 12 yards. At 15 yards it's a little over 2 inch when I'm shooting good. This was originally my wives firearm, but I was so impressed with it I traded her my glock 21 gen.4. Great little weapon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    469 times
    I did the same to my sights with some glow in the dark paint from a hobby shop.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ok here's the updated sights. Might not be my final, but I'm satisfied with how they turned out for now. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366458934.652221.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  50.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links