Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Initial Thoughts on my new 709

5K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  aphdmansoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got back from my first trip to the range with my new Blue Taurus 709. I was very happy that i had no problem other than a few failure to feed issues.

First I put 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle through it. There were no problems at all and the gun is very accurate. I had no problems hitting targets between 5 and 10 yards.

Then i put 50 rounds of Winchester White Box through it. here is where i had some failure to feed errors. It seemed the ejector did not hang on to the casing maybe? i am an amateur firearm owner. Whatever it means when the spent casing is left in the barrel and the next loaded casing obviously gets hung up. I had heard of folks having issues with the WWB ammo so i am not thinking too much of it.

I then started to try and shoot some Georgia Arms ammo that i purchased from the gun show in asheville over the weekend and had the same issue. I stopped shooting because i didnt want to waste any more range ammo if the guns was not feeding just because it needs cleaning.

I then loaded up one full clip of Hornady Critical Defense to see if it had the same problem when dirty. The whole clip went through with no problem at all. I am thinking maybe the high grade stuff still cycles better even when dirty?

Overall i am very happy with the gun. For now i will assume that the feed issues are just there because i am breaking the gun in still and there was also probably still some of that preservative crap inside during my first use. I want to put a large number of rounds through this thing to make sure it is reliable for carry purposes. It seems i was holding the gun improperly and it left a nice cut on the back of my thumb. It is a little tougher to shoot with a big hand but i am sure i can get used to holding it properly. It is very different going from a Glock 21 Gen 2 to this little slim haha. I will continue to post here with the details of all the fun i have with this gun!

My Family of Autos

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Ha ha you totally caught me as I made a mistake in my choice of words. I meant to say the gun is sighted in well. It was putting the shots right where I was aiming. I didn't shoot from the bench at all so I do not know how accurate it is.

The Beretta is a 9mm but the glock is a 45.

I cleaned the heck out of the 709 and can't wait to shoot again!

#3 ·
It does sound like your ejector is not grabbing the case. Did you clean it thoroughly before you fired it? Also, be sure to load the first round from the magazine, not by dropping one into the chamber & slamming the slide home on it. My 709 has no problems with Winchester white box.

#4 ·
Nice review... good details. The 709 is a very good, accurate, and reliable weapon. There is typically a "break-in" period with all new firearms... opinions vary but generally 250 rounds or so to break-in a new gun. Certain brands/models of guns like certain brands of ammo better than others... use what runs/cycles most reliably in your weapon... my Kel Tec PF9 is a little particular...... my Hi-Point C-9 cycles everything I've put in it! One point.... it's a "magazine" not a "clip".... google "clip vs. magazine"

#6 ·
The 709 is a nicer/better made gun than the PF9 (IMO)! I have both.... I'll be keeping them both.

The 709 has much better fit and finish...
Hugely better trigger...
Second strike...
Ergonomics are better...
Simpler take down... (PF9 requires at least a casing to pry the take down pin)
I have had multiple FTE with the PF9... and no FTE with the 709
Replaced the extractor on the PF9
Replaced the firing pin spring on the PF9
Rounds through the PF9, about 350
Rounds through the 709, about 150
I've had the PF9 for about 8 months and the 709 for about 2 months.

#9 ·
Give it a scrubbing, as opposed to a cleaning, lube it and try again. Since it likes the Federal, feed it some of it to get well into the break in cycle. Then try the others again. Also, if you are having trouble with the grip, try Pearce Grips. I love them on my 740.

#10 · (Edited)
lol, It is absolutely accurate. I don't think there is a better gun in its class for 3 bills. Don't know how far you read my thread but I eventually "ate crow".

I hope you enjoy your new Taurus! I just some more Dremel and sledge work to mine tonight. Can't wait to shoot it again.

#12 ·
There were a bunch of 709's at the store, at $329, and it's tempting, but I'm really not crazy about 6 or 7 round semi-autos on principle. With that type of capacity, I think I'd just as soon carry a revolver, for reliability's sake, but that 709 will likely start eating a wider variety of ammo once it's cleaned out and broken in.

#13 ·
There were a bunch of 709's at the store, at $329, and it's tempting, but I'm really not crazy about 6 or 7 round semi-autos on principle. With that type of capacity, I think I'd just as soon carry a revolver, for reliability's sake
8 rounds total when you got one chambered with a full mag but I get what you're saying. A friend recently asked me what I thought of these little guns and my advice was If they could comfortably carry something bigger like an 8 series that would be the way to go.

#14 ·
The PT709 is a fantastic firearm for a slim 9mm. I do have to add about spending your first few hours cleaning the living snot out of it. That lubricant/protectant/epoxylike adhesive crud will turn a wonderful firearm into a hated paperweight. I would also recommend racking the slide about 4-500 times with the mag removed and no rounds chambered. The difference between a new stiff PT709 and a worked in PT709 is unbelievable. My nephew's wife picked one up after she handled and fired mine. I went through the teardown and cleaning with her and couldn't believe how stiff it felt. My 709 is smooth as glass when cycling. I also have just over 1000 rounds through it.

Reactions: aphdmansoc
#15 ·
I would also recommend racking the slide about 4-500 times with the mag removed and no rounds chambered. The difference between a new stiff PT709 and a worked in PT709 is unbelievable.
I think this makes a huge difference. I had the gun for a week before I took it to the range. I cleaned it really well and racked the slide probably 100 times a day for that full week before going to the range. I put 100 flawless rounds through it first time out.

#16 ·
after about 150 rds my 709 is really starting to loosen up. when brand new the slide lock was so stiff i really had to reef on it to release the slide. it now works effortlessly. it also just seems to shoot smoother and feels as though it were made for my hand.

#18 ·
I have been racking the slide in my spare time lately and i can tell that it is getting loosened up! I believe that is very good advice. I am eager to put some more rounds through this gun. I have been practicing my grip and can see where i went wrong. Sometimes i get that tunnel vision looking down the sight and i need to remember to pay attention to things like my grip. I am contemplating buying some of the Garrison magazine extenders. I figure the 3 for $23 deal is as good as it gets. I am getting ready to order some new magazines from Taurus. I gotta stop holding out hope that they will show up on Midwayusa.

#19 ·
Nice family you got there. I got a PX4 also, but in 40, love it.

#20 ·
Took my 709 to the range for the first time last night. It failed to load a few times but it was a case of user error.... Just took a little getting used to racking the slide compared to my husband's Glock. Other than that, it fired every time we pulled the trigger. We put about 100 rounds through it of various quality and I didn't notice any sort of difference.

I hate to sound cliche but it shoots low and to the left. I assumed it was the fact that I'm not a good shot and that my husband has never shot anything as small as it, but I was pretty much spot on with my husband's Glock. I don't think I'm a proficient enough shot to adjust the sights on my own so I'm trying to find a gunsmith to do it for me (Gander Mountain has a 5-week waiting period for work) but I do feel confident that I could do some serious kidney/liver damage with it in a pinch ;)

Other than that, it was fun to shoot, snappy but not anywhere as as bad as the similarly sized 9mms I've shot. I think I'm getting addicted to shooting and although this might not be what I want to go stand in the range and shoot every, I think it will be a great little EDC self defense gun.

#21 ·
sounds like a great outing at the range. I too had problems with shooting low and left. After doing some research and a little trial and error i determined that my problems were 1. i was using too much finger on the trigger and 2. i had a poor sight picture. I adjusted by getting the trigger more towards the center of the pad of my trigger finger as opposed to closer to the joint. I also began focusing more on the front post instead of the rear sight and this greatly improved my accuracy. I realized that i wasnt really paying attention to my trigger pull or aiming as much as i needed to with this gun.

#22 ·
Agree with you there ^ - try using just the pad of your trigger finger, and watch that you aren't "milking" the grip. Just try to bring the trigger back with the pad of the finger.

As far as adjusting the sights, it's not difficult, but I would suggest getting a bit more proficient with the above trigger technique - several rounds at least. Then, use a benchrest/sand bag to rest the gun on when you shoot, and use the sight adjustment tool to turn the rear screw to the right, just one click at a time. See if that starts walking the rounds back up to where you are aiming.

And, as mentioned, try to get used to focusing on the front sight. You're probably not going to have the luxury of time to line both up in a Condition Red moment, and the front sight is all you really need for short range effectiveness.

#23 ·
Yep - well I shot with an instructor today and it's definitely this. He shot it just fine, said my grip was great but my finger is too far in and I'm pushing it left.....

#24 ·
Glad to hear you have a line on it! Now, if you can find the ammo, practice makes perfect! :cool:

#27 · (Edited)
Honestly I have no trouble finding 9mm ammo. I've figured out the delivery schedules! Shot 150 rounds this week, picked up 400 in anticipation of next week's sessions with instructor. Could have had more but I have another 10 boxes in the closet and I don't want to be part of the "hoarding" problem..... Although the instructor at the range I went to today was all tapped out. Normally they require you to buy their ammo but he told me I'd need to bring my own if I wanted to shoot. They didn't even have 9mm snap caps in stock!!!

Question - (not to derail) Is it safe to dry fire the 709? The manual says not to, but other people have said it's just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.