Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New TCP Owner, new to mini-pistols

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

New TCP Owner, new to mini-pistols

Hello all,
    This is my first real hideaway gun. My other handguns are a CZ75 and a Bersa .22. They are both fun shooters and fit my hand well. Both of those are all steel and heavy enough to never disappear. This TCP is just amazing how compact it is.
    I just got the TCP last week and haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. It is a C model, so should have all of the improvements.
    I have broken it down and down and cleaned it and then done a light lube.
    I have cycled snap caps through it 100+ times and am fairly impressed with the consistent feeding and ejecting based on the horror stories. It does leave bite marks on the lip of the case from the ejector, but I don't know if that is good or bad since the snap caps are fairly soft.
    I bought a Desantis Nemesis back pocket holster and have carried it enough to get comfortable in how it feels in my pocket.

That DAO trigger is the first thing that stands out. It was a ton better than the LCP and P3AT I checked out, but it is still long. That combined with the small grip area is really going to affect accuracy.
    I am assuming that the normal polish job would help the trigger. Has anyone tried a MOS2 lube on the trigger and slide? Any recommendations?
    I have seen the grip sleeves and magazine extensions, but I am a little worried about adding on to a gun that I bought because it is small. It will end up being a preference thing, but does anyone have a Nemesis holster with an add-on and have comments?

Last thing is of course ammo. It looks like Hornady Critical Defense is the consensus carry ammo, but what is the bare-bones preference for practice ammo. Right now it looks like it is whatever you can find, but I would like to buy it in bulk when available and don't want a big quantity of problematic ammo.

Love the community
    Snug9mm, TXEric and MilProGuy like this.

BMC
    Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Welcome to the forum. I love my TCP as it is my EDC here in Southern AZ. Goes well with shorts and t-shirts 330 days a year.
    The only evil is ignorance...the only good is knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    4743 times
    Welcome to the TA forum, and congratulations on the TCP!

I have the 709, and although I don't use grip extensions, I do have a slip on grip (Hogue). One consideration you need to keep in mind is, if you do opt for a rubber grip, it can really make it more difficult if you pocket carry. The rubber is kind of "sticky" if you have it enclosed in that manner. I don't pocket carry my 709, so I do use the grip, but if I wanted to pocket it (which is not really an option, unless it's cargo shorts/pants in a large pocket), I wouldn't want the grip in place.

The extensions are a "your mileage may vary" addition. In some cases, people have encountered FTF problems due to their pinky pressure on the bottom of the mag causing misalignment of the magazine. I don't have large hands, but I also was taught years ago to grip mainly with my middle two fingers, even on large frame 1911 style handguns. My 709 feels perfect in my hands. Also, the extension does add to the length of the grip, which may detract from the concealment goal.

You just have to try some options and go with what you like best!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18698 times
    Welcome to the ranks of happy TCP owners/carriers. I can't imagine a more concealable and comfortable pistol than Taurus's little .380. I quite often forget, consciously at least, that I'm carrying it. There will be more satisfied TCP owners along who will provide direction to a list of enhancements for it elsewhere in the forum. It's still too early on a Saturday morning for me, I can't find it right now.

I see that you're new here. Welcome to the best forum on the internet! Newcomers get free Saturday brunch at the virtual cafe, so find a virtual table and help yourself to all you can virtually eat. One of our wealthy and overpaid moderators will gladly pick up the virtual tab for you.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 02-16-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Darn spell check is still asleep this morning.

Member #
    Liked
    25800 times
    Welcome from StL. MO! Practice is the key. Reigning in a small gun with a short barrel and ( for sd) a hot round has its challenges. A range where you can draw and rapid fire would be good. Look for an IDPA BUG match. The strings are taylored to lower round counts but you will have at least one mag change per section - another valuable skill. AND if you have a problem (double feed, fte, etc) you will / should learn to fix it on the clock/fly. You can also set these problems up with any form of dummy round. It's all about knowing what to do and muscle memory!
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Welcome and practice....I prefer not to climb down any smaller than a compact....The recoil makes it harder for a follow up shot if need be...That is me you have fun and enjoy

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Congratulations and good luck with your new TCP. Here are a few comments and/or suggestions based on your post.

I put Traction grips on mine - they're not quite as good as the one-piece Talon grips I use on my other pistol (don't think they're available for the TCP?), but do a reasonable job of improving the purchase on the tiny pistol, without adding to its size, etc. IMHO the improved grip helps with the percieved recoil. I agree the trigger is better than some of its competitors and I haven't felt the need to try to alter it, other than through; use, cleaning and lubrication. I use Super Lube teflon impregnated clear synthetic grease on the rails of all my pistols, including the TCP with good results. For non-sliding areas I use either a light coating of Hoppe's oil, or Remoil spray. My prefered carry load is either Winchester PDX1, or Ranger-T. For practice I like the same grain FMJ from Privi because of its cost and good results with it so far. Of course as we all know, availability may have more to do with what we use for the time being as anything else. After trying a couple different holsters, I've returned to my favorite with my other carry pistol - the Remora with a sweat shield.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I bought some Blazer practice ammo with my TCB just to have somethignh to run through it for break in. It's the aluminium jacketed stuff. It is the dirties ammo I have ever shot... Cleaned it to start with and after 12 rounds cleaned it again. I htink I am just going ot shoot them up and get something else for practive but never Blaszers again.
    New tcp 738
    Glock 40
    Ruger lcr

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I haven't had much luck finding bulk ammo online but am on the waiting list several places. No breath-holding at this point. I have only about 50 rounds but I am dropping in several places in the area so eventually will hit something. I just have a problem paying more than $25 a box for range ammo.

My plan is to get a couple of hundred rounds and then go to my parent's farm and do a bunch of paper plate on fencepost shooting. From there I will decide whether I want some grip enhancement. I really like my Hogue Grips on my CZ75 but I can see where a rubber grip on a pocket gun would get hung up easily.

Member #
    Liked
    10371 times
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links