New TCP Owner, new to mini-pistols - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New TCP Owner, new to mini-pistols

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Congrats! The TCP is one of my favorites. I find that I have to shoot this more often than my larger pistols to stay accurate. I
    carry it every day. Enjoy!

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    To improve accuracy with the trigger, I take up the slack, refine my aim, then fire. There is a place where the trigger pauses near the end of the stroke. I find that I can hold it there without having an AD, although I only do that when I am pointing at a target and intend to fire.

A good grip, firm wrist and arm are essential to avoid limp wristing it and having misfeeds. The recoil is very snappy. I put a strip of hockey tape on the back of the grip to tame the cheese grater.

The most dependably feeding SD round in my TCP is Hornady Critical Defense, so it is my carry ammo. The conical shape of the bullets really helps prevent misfeeds where the tip of the bullet stops against the almost vertical feed ramp, which happens with me sometimes using FMJ target ammo.
    Very interesting.......

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Welcome from little ole New Hampshire & Congrats on your latest addition !
    Live Free or Die " New Hampshire State Motto "

New Hampshire was the first of the British North American colonies to break away from Great Britain in January 1776, and six months later was one of the original thirteen states that founded the United States of America.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The hesitation before firing on the trigger pull is more a remembered point than a felt point on mine. A little more polishing and some lube will make any grittiness or hesitation completely disappear.
    From a practical standpoint, I will probably end up practicing by pulling all the way through the trigger pull anyway because that is how these little guns would be used in a "situation". Less friction would be less deviation in the point of aim.

On a related note: I have been amazed at the waiting times that people are saying they had to get their guns. My wait was the 5 minutes it took for them to call in the background check. The paperwork took longer than the wait.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46474 times
    Before buying in bulk I would try a few different brands, every once in a while someone will get a picky TCP. Mine was a little picky at first, after a couple hundred rounds it ate everything just fine. Seems to me most people had no problems with PMC for range practice. Same goes with the SD rounds, some can be picky with certain bullet profiles.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8331 times
    Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL. Don't forget to post some pics of your new friend.

Member #
    Liked
    10770 times
    Congrats on your 738!

Search through the 700 threads and you will find a lot of good info on small autos. Be sure and read through eGumpher's 738 reliability stickie over in the smithing forums.

Good info on holsters in the Concealed Carry forums. I would suggest a good pocket holster and a good CrossBreed MiniTuck or one of its many clones to handle all your CC needs. The IWB MiniTuck will allow you to CC in a suit and even pull your jacket off without anyone being the wiser about our CCW. In a pocket holster, I look for one that the holster comes off as you draw and if it doesn't you can still fire at least once with the holster still in place, if need be. I like the hook kind that catch the edge of our pocket as you draw.

Use those snap caps and dry fire about a thousand, or more, times. This will allow you to learn control of that trigger (find out where the notch in the pull is) as well as smooth out the trigger itself. Forget about double taps, ain't gonna happen with a DAO.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Congrats on your new pistol it is very small but shoots very well, it can be concealed anywhere, have fun
    The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in war, Freedom isn't free. USN/RET

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I will head over to the smithing forums to check out the recommendations. I don't want to go too far before establishing a baseline but it will be a good "to do" list for later.
    I have been looking at the mini tuck holsters and I would love to have one, but I have a hard time justifying $50-$100 for a holster for something that slips into your pocket. I keep looking at one of the supertucks for my CZ75, but I just can't justify carrying that big heavy gun if I have the TCP.
    The sub-$20 Desantis Nemesis was about my price point and my intended mode of carrying it. I will definitely keep my eye out for a deal if it comes up on the mini-tuck.

Hopefully I will get lucky on my sweep of big box and LGS and find a few boxes of ammo for my first range time. I keep wanting to jump right in and buy in bulk, but holding off to see if it is picky probably makes sense.

As for pictures, it pretty much looks the same as all the rest of the TCPs right out of the box. It is the all-black version with one magazine. Hopefully they will come out with the factory 8rd magazine before long so that I can get that one as a second, but I may end up getting another 6rd in the meantime.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My wife and I have a CPL. She wanted a smaller pistol to carry so we went shopping. Looking at several .380's, she chose the PT 738 stainless version because she said it fit her hand best and liked the looks . Comparing it to the LCP personally I liked the trigger better on the 738. This is our first Taurus.

I'm not familiar with pocket carries as having a Glock 17 & 26 etc. but it seemed to be a decent pistol and the price was right so we bought it. Her 738 so far has go through over 200 rds with no issues using various ammo, but I first cleaned, oiled then ran the slide a few hundred times before shooting out of the box. I do that with most new pistols out of habit I guess. She cleans it after each session as it does get dirty.

Now I'm looking at getting a pocket pistol for myself. Preferring 9mm there are however no options for one that small, so it will be .380. I spent the last 2 weeks handling several .380's: Bodyguard, P380, LCP, DB8, P238.
    These are only my opinions, others may differ:

Bodyguard 380:
    Pros- nice feel and fit, just an overall nice looking gun.
    Cons- laser is not important to me. I also don't care for a safety, but because of the long trigger really isn't needed. It could be considered an extra safety feature. The sight was too high profile for my liking possibly causing snagging.

Kahr P380:
    Pros- I really like this gun, have shot it and know a few that own one. High quality, shoots well.
    Cons- Price too high for my taste and purpose (pocket carry & backup). I have also heard there are some rounds that don't feed well on this gun but can't swear to it. If someone could verify this please post.
    It should be noted Kahr has announced the CW380, an econo-version of the P380, priced right. Unfortunately it won't be available for another 3+ months.

Ruger LCP:
    See above; and have heard of issues with this model, but could be isolated cases. I like the 738 better, one reason is slide open after last shot.

Diamondback DB8:
    Pros- cost, nice grip for larger hands. Seems to be a Glock micro copycat in some respects. I seriously considered this gun.
    Con- parts availability and not much history behind them. Also, on their website it states using +P and +P+ ammo voids the warranty. That right there turned me off.

Sig P238:
    Pros- Just an awesome, reliable solid gun, have shot it several times.
    Cons- Heavy (compared to others), basically a baby 1911, single action w/safety; not my choice for pocket carry. Cost is up there too.

I must say after looking at several other pocket carry pistols, and having carried my wife's Taurus 738, I keep going back to it as my preferred choice, but would add a grip extension. It just seems to be the best bang for the buck. If there are other recommendations, please don't hesitate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links