• 1 Post By dbeardslee
  • 2 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By GreenWolf70

Thread: Pushing the Mag Release button for new 738 magazines

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Pushing the Mag Release button for new 738 magazines

Hi all. As Wisconsin prepares to join the rest of the free United States and finally allow law abiding citizens to legally carry concealed, I have a question. I have a 738 and it has been a really good gun. I got the new magazines that are wider and do have to press the mag release button to get the mags in. I have read in other posts that this makes it useless as a good CCW gun. Is this really an issue? I used to have a Ruger GP100 and with speed loaders, it still took me longer to reload the revolver than it does to reload the mags in my 738. Just wondering if there is something I have not considered. Thanks
    śολὼν λάβε
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’— Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think those comments about being useless for carry were made because the mag will not drop free so if you need a reload you have to take the time and effort to pull it out and then go for your spare mag and load--you get the idea. Too much time in a real self defense situation. If there was another reason someone will come along and comment.
    Things are more the way they are today than they've ever been before.

ADN
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    If you are really concerned about the speed of your magazine change you have two options. Keep in mind that hypothetically you are in a SD situation wherein you have already gone through your first seven rounds and need some more rounds to get the job done. One option is to send the gun back to Taurus and let them modify it so it will feed the new magazines without trouble. They will probably change out the barrel as well as some other modifications which may "update" your pistol to the newer version. The second option is to keep the gun loaded with a new magazine and use your old magazine, which presumably feeds without depressing the magazine release, as your spare. I sent my TCP (A serial number) in for an unrelated repair and Taurus did the updates for free. Now the new magazines work just fine.
    Pogi likes this.
    PT1911B
    PT111 Pro
    PT738
    Ruger P95
    Beretta U22 Neos

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    I've seen a bunch of videos of actual civilian SD shootings, and nary a one had a mag change in it. The average number of rounds fired in actual SD shootings is three or four, so chances are by the time you shoot 7 the shooting is over. It should loosen up over time as the coating on the mag wears down. If it really bugs you that it won't drop free, you might try a little Rem DriLube on the outside of the mag and the inside of the mag well - might help. Don't use any solvents on your mags either - the coating doesn't like it.
    Pogi likes this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Well I have a Taurus 738 and a SIG 238 and if i was concerned by how fast i needed to change a magazine then i would consider the following:
    I need to practice my shooting more so i could better place the shot on target.
    I need a larger caliber gun.
    i need a larger gun with more capacity.
    I need to let the target get closer before i fire.
    I need to wear jogging shoes any time i go out.
    Now in reality i think that if after 7 shots the perp is not detered or down that more than likely i can physically handle a wounded man with 4-5 bullets in him, or possibly out run him with my regular shoes on.
    In war time i would consider capacity and mag changes , in the real world not so much, although there is that jam factor but in reality from what i have seen and heard if the 738 jams , its pretty much over anyway, it then becomes a rock to beat people with, no matter how many mags you got.
    Now i am not saying don't practice mag changes but I wouldn't be overly concerned with the speed, in a close attack you don't have time for a mag change anyway and thats really what the 738 is designed for, a close in attack.
    just my 02 cents and how i look at it.
    3-4 seconds if you are lucky.
    dbeardslee and Pogi like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10928 times
    I'd just do the work to get the mags to go in without having to hold in the mag release and make sure they drop free. Sounds like your mag release is the culprit. Pull it out and give it a little buff and polish on the bottom side so the mag doesn't hang on its top lip.

But for your other question, I don't carry a spare mag so I'm not real concerned about a fast reload.

As far as what Olfahors is talking about, pay attention and don't get yourself in a situation where you need more than 7 shots. Don't show that you are carrying. Make up your mind about firing before you draw and use that "shock & awe" of the vic shooting the perps to get away. Let them worry about the wounded and dead, you get the heck out of there. Then call the police.
    Pogi and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not really concerned with fast reloads for all of the above mentioned points, I just wondered why some say it makes it useless. Anyway I spent a few minutes with a jewelers file on the mag catch and now it goes in and drops out perfect. Thanks all for the replies.
    śολὼν λάβε
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’— Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Glad ya got ii working correctly, many times thats all it takes if someone is familair with hand tools and looks at how things work.
    a few minutes with a file, dremel or a stone can work wonders.
    I don't get the useless either, nothing is useless as a weapon, you just need to think outside the box if you get caught in a SHTF situation, now certainly i think most all of use would desire to have a 12 gauge shotgun if attacked and the atacker be 15 feet away, but if thats not available even a piece of paper rolled up really tight to make a point on one end can be deadly.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links