• 1 Post By silverstring
  • 1 Post By oldtimer
  • 1 Post By dwhite

Thread: 709 Slide

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

709 Slide

I am new to the sight, but have been a gun owner since the 60's (US Army Veteran).I have a Taurus slim 709. Bout two years old. I have only had it to the range maybe six times-the first few rounds go bang, then there is an
    ejection problem, a casing gets stuck in the barrel, and the next round hangs up against it. I have contacted Taurus, got a return order, but didn't follow through with it as it was going to cost $80.00 dollars for UPS to ship it -required overnight according to them. Anyways, got it out last week end -took about for shots at the target, and the 5th hung up. I disassembled it and while watching a you tube video on the gun, noticed a "dent" on the polished rail inside the slide.could this be causing the issue? Could I have caused this? Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    20444 times
    I think I see the dent you are talking about. My first thought is that is most likely not the problem. I would first make sure the magazine spring is properly installed/oriented by taking the magazine apart. It has been seen where the mag spring was installed backwards. Plus I would even give the magazine a good cleaning inside while it's apart. Taurus has been known to use some pretty heavy packing grease. Don't oil the inside of the mag after cleaning.

Second thought would possibly be the extractor. Give it a real good look and make sure there are no tiny chips at the end and make sure it's clean under the edge where the case rim would sit.

Some smarter folks will be along to help out. Keep us posted.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7763 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I think I see the dent you are talking about. My first thought is that is most likely not the problem. I would first make sure the magazine spring is properly installed/oriented by taking the magazine apart. It has been seen where the mag spring was installed backwards. Plus I would even give the magazine a good cleaning inside while it's apart. Taurus has been known to use some pretty heavy packing grease. Don't oil the inside of the mag after cleaning.

Second thought would possibly be the extractor. Give it a real good look and make sure there are no tiny chips at the end and make sure it's clean under the edge where the case rim would sit.

Some smarter folks will be along to help out. Keep us posted.
    Nailed it!...........
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12164 times
    The slide ramp most likely isn't related to a fail to extract issue. Magazine not positioning the next round correctly can cause multiple types of feed and extract issues. Out of spec ammo can be the cause, dirty or damaged barrel chamber will cause rounds to stick a bit, Weak extractor spring, worn, dirty or damaged extractor will cause extraction issues as well. Unload weapon, verify again is unloaded. Remove the slide, barrel and recoil spring. Try sliding a round from the top of the slide into the extractor claw, then take a look at how the claw is or is not holding the round. When you have that round in the claw, try rocking it around a bit, you may see part of the extractor claw missing that way or how it engages the shoulder of the round. Some extractors have a pretty big gap , so the round may fall through, but use your fingers to hold it captive, and look at the claw. Wish I could describe the process better, but you just gotta try it a few times to get a good view of what is going on. Oh and by the way, welcome aboard DSNook.
    Last edited by silverstring; 03-30-2020 at 06:48 PM.
    darbo likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1431 times
    Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
    I would guess it's the extractor.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Would be good to know type/brand of ammo.
    ICUKev likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5777 times
    You can ship a gun through a dealer for about $12. I've done it. They don't have to ship overnight and they can use the postal service.

Then Taurus reimbursed the shipping.

It's another option and was easy for me.

Go on and throw it into the Taurus black hole and see when it pops out the other side.

All the Best,
    D. White
    olfarhors likes this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    3356 times
    Do you have only one mag? I'm wondering if it's a mag issue but if you only got one, it's hard to say? I'm make sure mag is clean. Also, do you have different brands of ammo? Wondering if it's the ammo?
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to have feeding/ejection issues with my 709. I tied it to one of my 2 magazines, i read about it online :-). Bought a third magazine and tossed the faulty one
    Blessings,
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    **Infidel**

Sponsored Links