Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Is the 709 still part of your EDC

5K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  oldtimer 
#1 · (Edited)
So,
Hi folks, long time no post. Go figure, just life stuff.
I have had my 709 (had two but sold one) for many years. My original that I bought bout the time they first came out is the one I still carry as EDC. Stopped counting rounds after >4000. At the range I will put about 25 or so downrange with it as "make sure".
I have been to the store and checked out the new stuff, many are really nice, but I can't find anything I like better than my trusty PT709.

I have gone back to original sites, replaced the grip tape twice and had to replace the recoil spring once (Taurus sent me two! thumbs up to that). It has become synonymous with my wallet.

Anyways, just wondering.

#2 ·
In late Spring and Hot Summer days, when concealing anything larger is a problem, my Taurus PT709 gets carried in a Wallet Holster.
When I can wear a Shirt Jacket, I can sometimes conceal my PT111 Millennium Pro, which I prefer, but I don't feel any less protected
with my PT709.

#4 ·
Yep, more so in the summer.

#8 ·
NOPE!
sold it about 5-6 months after I bought it!
the gun ran fine, was a good carry size but I just absolutely could not hit with it, didn't fit my hand, didn't care for the trigger so it didn't serve a purpose in my arsenal.
replaced it with a Beretta PX4SC and then went to a CZ P-01 which I still carry.

#10 ·
I carried mine for several years. I have a younger brother who has limited resources, but had a desire for self protection. My 709 is with him, along with ammo, holster 50 rounds for practice and videos/books on self defense. Meanwhile I have my carry rotation with other compact options including deep concealment with a pocket pistol.

#11 ·
Still carry mine. Like it a lot. Not something that I take to the range on a regular basis as I worry about the longevity
of it. I do take it occasionally to stay fresh with it.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: jwc007
#12 ·
Since I a) started a revolver kick that's still going strong and b) got a 3" 1911 that's reliable and feature packed, I don't carry my 740 as much as I used to. It was my EDC for quite some time. But it still does present itself as the best choice at times, because of the .40 punch, how slim it is, and the sweat/dirt/corrosion resistance that polymer guns offer.

#14 ·
I carry mine more in the winter than the summer. It's about the maximum size for a pocket pistol for me...need clothes that are a bit more bulky. During the summer I carry my North American Arms .22 mag. Still plenty good at the range I'd be using it. Not something I'd want shot with.

Reactions: NativeTexan
#15 ·
PT740 w/extended mag still my EDC. PT709 is a safe queen.

#17 ·
The 709 is a fine carry. I've been carrying a Kel Tec P11 since 1996 for a subcompact pocketable 9mm and like the gun a lot, don't wanna give it up for anything newer. It's got a little less than 10k through it, still a great little gun. Now that Texas carry laws include open carry, though, it ain't like I worry if the front of the slide on my TH9c occasionally flashes below my shirt. Then, too, I find my old 85SSUL or my newer .357 magnum 605 poly very nice deep concealment guns, so I have lots of options in that roll. A little heavier, but OWB my 3" M66 is a nice hot weather choice. I'm quite happy with all my carry choices, so I think I've got enough. It's too confusing as it is to decide what to carry in the morning. :rofl:

#18 ·
I have kind of moved through several pocket pistols in recent years.
the 709 was bought as a carry weapon, although not for the front pocket.
then I went to the TCP--which was basically a total bust for me as the weapon was not dependable, then went to the Sig 238 (380) as well and it completed the function of pocket carry, very well, was reliable, accurate.
then went to the Sig 365, wonderful gun, will work in MY pockets fine and a dream to carry IWB, light multiple capacity, accurate, reliable.
I also have a Springfield Armory XDS in 9 MM that is a very good weapon, reliable and that's the MOST important to me as to carry/ self defense use.
its not quite as nice as the Sig 365 and not quite as accurate--likely due to the better trigger of the Sig.
we all look, see, feel and think what may work best for us, sometimes we find it, sometimes we don't.

#20 ·
I am happy that mine fits me. Even have one of the rare 9 round mags to go with mine. As long as I take in it's limitations similar to those of a snub revolver things will work out. I'm not going to push the 709's operating envelope.

#22 ·
It isn't right now. It got traded out for the 24/7 PRO-C .40.

24/7 holds more rounds than the 709. Way things are currently those extra rounds could
come in handy.

#24 ·
My 709 has been my carry piece since I got my CHL. It conceals well and hits where I aim. No need to buy another gun to carry so long as this one keeps doing what it's designed to do. I think if I was to open carry I might carry the SAA but I'd have to use black powder loads for it for the full effect.

Reactions: Shooter9mm
#29 ·
I initially liked the concept of this budget "Shield" alternative.I've put over 500 rounds through this gun and have had problems at every shooting session.
On follow up shots the trigger hangs and won't compress fully. I thought it was just me and my technique until last week and my son had the same experience several times.I won't carry this gun until I trade it.

#31 ·
If I ride the trigger forward i will get a lite strike on the next round, if I allow trigger to full reset it does fine. Perhaps not your problem but wanted all too know my experience, i do not carry mine it is used as a range gun, accurate, easy to use, but don't trust it as a carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.