Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tworks99
  • 2 Post By tworks99

Thread: PT 740 Slim won't go into battery

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

PT 740 Slim won't go into battery

Help! The slide on my PT740 Slim stays back about 1/4". (I've seen similar issues posted, but not exactly the same)
    Symptoms:
    * the slide does not go all the way forward. I can push it forward, but then it just pops back again.
    * I can remove the slide using the normal procedure with no problem, but when I reassemble it still happens.
    * if I push the slide forward and pull the trigger, the slide stays in place as if everything was fine. If I move the slide backward at all though the problem comes right back.
    Does anyone have any idea what is going on, and how to fix it?
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    I had a similar problem with a new G2C that I got last February.
    When I broke it down I noticed that the outside of the barrel was a little rough, and not as polished as my PT-111 G2.
    I took some Rubbing Compound, and rubbed it down as best as I could. Especially near the front where it flairs out and slips into the front of the slide.
    Also, use a little Gun Grease in that area too.
    Let me know if that helps. It worked for me.

Member #
    Liked
    26835 times
    IF 71 yera old memory still works--seems to me and this goes back to when i owned a 709, that you may have it assembled incorrectly?
    I beleive that you get a similiar result IF the pin isn't through the corect hole (cutout) in the barrel?
    try disassembly and reassembly and see how it does.
    also is the recoil spring assembly in the right direction?
    seems that was a problem as well.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I tried the above but it didn't fix the problem, so I played around with it a little more afterward. I found what is causing it, but I don't know why it's happening (or even whether it is supposed to work that way). Many of you know the internals much better than I do, but I will try to explain what I am seeing - if what I write sounds dumb or noobish then at least maybe I can learn something.

The hook that pulls back the striker is getting stuck on this thing:

When I pull the trigger this piece pivots down and the slide can stay forward, the trigger can pull the striker, everything seems to be in order. But if I move the slide back enough for the "hook" to reach this piece, the spring from the striker prevents the slide from staying forward. Is this how it is supposed to work, and if not what can I do about it?

If it helps, this happened while I was at the range. It was working fine, but then I put the safety on and after I turned the safety back off I got one shot and then it stopped working.
    Last edited by tworks99; 08-08-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    That is NOT how it's suppose to work.
    I would call Taurus about it; maybe email them so you can include photos.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks 777! I contacted customer support and they said it probably needed a new recoil spring. Then they mailed me a new one for free! Their customer service is amazing.
    darbo and jwc007 like this.

Sponsored Links