Taurus Firearm Forum banner

8 to 10 round mags for the 709

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 · (Edited)
I know that ProMag makes 8 and 10 round mags for the 709 but I am reading that results are mixed.

Did Taurus at one time provide 8, 9 or 10 round factory mags for the 709?

Does anyone else make mags for the 709?

I saw where HiPoint 15 mag rounds can be used but I am looking for something just a little longer so my hand fits better on the pistol. I have a pinky extension but was thinking for the same space I could carry an extra round.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I didn't know anyone made 8,9, or 10 round magazines for the 709. I thought they came with a 6-rounder and Taurus had an optional 7-rounder (which never made sense to me). I don't have one, but I do have a 740 and it was my understanding they were in the same boat (standard 6, optional 7).

I'll be interested to hear information from others...

#3 ·
I think it was the 740 .40 caliber that came with a standard 6 rounder. The 709 9mm came standard with 7. I believe they had an 8 rounder shown in the manual of arms, but never produced it.

I have 4 Taurus brand pt709 7 rounders that I bought from the Taurus site for a whopping $36.00 a piece plus shipping when you could not find them anywhere. I loaded them up and was going to let them sit for a couple weeks before using them, then went and traded the gun before I could use them! I figured I would hang onto them until a Stainless version of the 709 would go on a big sale and maybe get one. The 709 I traded was the black oxide that did not look like it would hold up well to a lot of summer sweat.

Now they went and changed the design to the G2s and at least a different base plate and an incompatibility. Would like to see if someone who had both models could test to see if the rest of the magazine is the same and just a base plate change or swap would make them compatible.

I have heard mixed opinions on the Promag, but don't have personal experience.

If I remember correctly, there are videos of people using or modifying those Hi-Point magazines to work with the PT709.

#4 ·
I spoke with Taurus customer service this afternoon and discovered that at one point they offered a factory 9 round mag, part number 5-10709-9. I couldn't find much about them but I think they are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You are right about finding factory mags with high capacity being extremely scarce. I've got a 9 round Slim magazine and it took several years to find. Of all things the LGS around here had it on the wall in it's package and everyone had forgotten it even existed in the store. It got lost and put behind several 7 rounders in their packages.

I would attack this problem with one of two possibilities. The first way to do this would be to stay with the 7 round Taurus factory magazines. Forget the Promags and stay with the 7 round mags.

Here's the reasoning. You can continue to look for the 9 rounder until you do find one to be had and for sale. With the Taurus factory 7 round magazines you at least will have reliable ones for the most part. A couple less rounds will not make that much difference in most real world gun fights if it should come to that. For example I carry just one extra mag for CCW carry. But that meets my needs and you might do things differently.

Or. You could get the Pro-mags and carry them, but I have some reservations on doing that. Here's why. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=s-0QPidprSY&usg=AOvVaw2wIqu1Uiyfez66VvLg8QbW

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=kdYwV0BohX0&usg=AOvVaw2WYGKSY6576MFl31qKGpMy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=tVrXbggQGP4&usg=AOvVaw1EKtp2bHYfBuFhzesnY_oh

Not everyone has great reliability with those and some do. It can be hit or miss with the Pro-mags.

For example I do have a Pro-mag for my Beretta Tomcat and that Pro-mag mag works well with that particular gun. Do I use the Pro-mag for CCW carry? No. I use Beretta factory magazines for CCW.

On the other hand there are those who have no problem with their Pro-mags for carry.

As the links show Pro-mags can be iffy or have their issues.

For inexpensive practice mags the Pro-mags might be the answer.

#10 ·
I hear many people say they have had great results from them.
Myself i tried them twice in different weapons and neither time did they perfom very well for me?
and no I just crap canned them , ddin't send them back to the manufacture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.