Would you buy it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Would you buy it?

Member #
    Liked
    25771 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Just remember, that's YOUR opinion. I don't necessarily share that opinion. I own more Rugers than any other single brand, but I like my Taurus pistols and revolvers a LOT and they haven't failed me. I kinda swore off Ruger pistols when they started copying everyone else with striker fired plastic guns. I don't mind the polymer, but don't like the striker stuff AT ALL. It's a lot easier when you're shopping for hammer guns, not that much to choose from. I like the CZ hammer guns, but they're as big, heavy, and bulky as my Ruger P guns. Oh, I can carry those P guns just fine, but that niche don't need replacing in my inventory.
    EXACTLY MY opinion and MY experience with the Taurus brand, I make the point that to throw out the Hater or Gun Snob is not always true, especially when speaking to someone that has experienced and owned a few weapons over my 71 years.
    I don't own all expensive weapon,s nor do I own all cheap weapons, nor all middle of the road weapons.
    what I do own is weapons that function and the only weapons that I will own in the future are ones from manufactures that produce and stand behind their product.
    to randomly throw out Gun Snob or Hater is much like me throwing everyone in the HERD ANIMAL MENTALITY and loving something even though its a problem child, now that wouldn't be nice nor fair would it?
    additionally you do know that CZ makes the RAMI, the alloy framed P-01 and PCR in a compact 75, and of course the several poly framed weapons they offer.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    EXACTLY MY opinion and MY experience with the Taurus brand, I make the point that to throw out the Hater or Gun Snob is not always true, especially when speaking to someone that has experienced and owned a few weapons over my 71 years.
    I don't own all expensive weapon,s nor do I own all cheap weapons, nor all middle of the road weapons.
    what I do own is weapons that function and the only weapons that I will own in the future are ones from manufactures that produce and stand behind their product.
    to randomly throw out Gun Snob or Hater is much like me throwing everyone in the HERD ANIMAL MENTALITY and loving something even though its a problem child, now that wouldn't be nice nor fair would it?
    additionally you do know that CZ makes the RAMI, the alloy framed P-01 and PCR in a compact 75, and of course the several poly framed weapons they offer.

Well, there's more'n one way to skin a cat as my mom used to tell me. If you don't like what I own, fine. I never said it was my way or the highway. I just know what works for me. And, I've never been a spend thrift, so stuff like Ed Brown or such never interested me. I've survived 66 years myself and never had to shoot anyone. I hope it stays that way. I know that a negligent discharge from a striker gun is far more likely than having to actually shoot someone, so I avoid striker guns. I know I'm one of the few with this bias. 99 percent of the "operators" (real or perceived) run striker guns. That just makes me special. I shot a Ruger P85 in IDPA. I competed against a sea of Glocks and did just fine in the expert class. No, I wasn't the absolute fastest, but I held my own with a hammer gun. I played that game with what I normally carried, DA autos. Now, I mostly carried my Kel Tec back then, DAO with concealed hammer. I shot it a couple of times in competition and surprised myself with it. I was accurate, just a little slower. I've always felt I could defend myself with it despite it's not being a Glock, much less a Sig. And, I carry it in a cheap Blackhawk fabric pocket holster with no fear of blowing my leg off.

"What does this have to do with Taurus", you ask? Well, if you've ever noticed on the snob boards, the snobs hate Kel Tec, too. I really cannot understand why. It might be the "get what you pay for" mentality. I do understand those that bash the trigger, ain't for everyone. One needs to learn to be proficient with DA guns. It's stiff and a long travel, but very smooth and easy to control for a guy used to shooting DA revolvers like myself. If you can't shoot it, it ain't the gun's fault.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10036 times
    Well, I can tell you from experience, that any way you skin a cat, it still stinks. Never skinned anything that smells as bad as a bobcat.
    Nimbly and NativeTexan like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Nope. I'm quite happy with my old Kel Tec P11 and my new Taurus TH9c. The KT is 10+1 and fits a pocket well and the TH9c is 13+1 in down size or can handle a 17 round magazine from the TH9. I have both versions of the magazines. Both guns were around 300 bucks.
    They discontinued the P11.

I was never interested in the P365. I like Sig, but the P365's size vs. capacity is it's only real trick and it isn't that much better than other pistols on the market. Defiantly not a big enough difference to offset the things it does/did wrong. A proprietary light rail is stupid! $50 factory magazines are robbery! And straight out the gate they had tons of reliability issues. While those might be fixed now, that really doesn't bode well for the reputation of a "High Quality" manufacturer.

And the idea that less expensive guns are less reliable and you shouldn't trust your life to them is just asinine. It is like saying a Jaguar is more reliable than a Toyota Corolla because it costs more. It is simply not true.

Another thing to consider is if you use your pistol in self defense there is a chance the police will take it and you might not get it back. Even if you were justified.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    I've been admiring the Sig P365 but just can't get excited about paying a minimum of $500.00 for it. So I wondered, what if Taurus took the PT709 Slim and fattened it up a little. Alter the grip to accommodate a 10+1 mag but kept the price in the same ballpark. Would you buy it? I think I would, especially if they ran the type of sale like they did recently for the G2C.

Hello, Taurus. Anybody home?
    PT709 Slim is a great gun, the same as its successor the G2S (?).
    Both the G2C and the G2S come out periodically on sale, so be patient and be ready to buy then.
    I have converted both of mine to DOA, which makes them a lot much safer to handle and carry.
    And yes, both turned up to be 100% reliable.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    They discontinued the P11.

I was never interested in the P365. I like Sig, but the P365's size vs. capacity is it's only real trick and it isn't that much better than other pistols on the market. Defiantly not a big enough difference to offset the things it does/did wrong. A proprietary light rail is stupid! $50 factory magazines are robbery! And straight out the gate they had tons of reliability issues. While those might be fixed now, that really doesn't bode well for the reputation of a "High Quality" manufacturer.

And the idea that less expensive guns are less reliable and you shouldn't trust your life to them is just asinine. It is like saying a Jaguar is more reliable than a Toyota Corolla because it costs more. It is simply not true.

Another thing to consider is if you use your pistol in self defense there is a chance the police will take it and you might not get it back. Even if you were justified.
    Well, that's too bad, but it had a good run and I've got mine. If a person wants a P11, there's always the sccy, a near part for part knock off. I think if I wanted one, though, in the last 20 years, I'd opt for the PF9, anyhow. It's a little slimmer, a little better trigger, and only 2 rounds less.

Yeah, the Jaguar thing is so true! I've always owned Japanese motorcycles and find the cars and trucks superior, too. There's an old saying, if Harley Davidson made airplanes, would you fly in one.
    loudviking and Nimbly like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    30474 times
    Go with what you like.

Me, I like arguing on internet forums.

It sounds to me like the OP described a few guns Taurus already sells.

Strikers have their place, but any carry gun should be DAO or have a thumb safety. If the only external safety is on the trigger, I'm not interested. And all steel hammer fired pistols almost always have far superior triggers.

Corollas may be more reliably, but driving should be inspiring. The last Toyota I drove inspired a coma. interrupted by visions of suicide. Give me the Jag. In fact, give me the Mustang, Thunderbird, Jag, BMW or Porsche - but it has to be at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Now I'm going to put my 1911 in my 911 and go for a drive. With a thumb safety and a manual transmission.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Go with what you like.

Me, I like arguing on internet forums.

It sounds to me like the OP described a few guns Taurus already sells.

Strikers have their place, but any carry gun should be DAO or have a thumb safety. If the only external safety is on the trigger, I'm not interested. And all steel hammer fired pistols almost always have far superior triggers.

Corollas may be more reliably, but driving should be inspiring. The last Toyota I drove inspired a coma. interrupted by visions of suicide. Give me the Jag. In fact, give me the Mustang, Thunderbird, Jag, BMW or Porsche - but it has to be at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Now I'm going to put my 1911 in my 911 and go for a drive. With a thumb safety and a manual transmission.

I am a commercial truck driver and a motorcyclist. I love driving/riding. If you get inspiration from just the vehicle you drive, a sporty motorcycle wins, hands down. But, the first time I drove a loaded 18 wheeler on I-15 through the box canyons of North West Arizona, I was pretty damn inspired.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Member #
    Liked
    8315 times
    I'll get in on things here. A short time ago I purchased a Taurus G2c and am now looking at the G2s. There's an incredible number of striker fired pistols out there and too many to list. The Tauri I have, and it is a large number, all work. None have ever gotten the chuck for being inadequate. The pistols have to be reliable, durable and user friendly....for me. I like the Tauri single stack pistols as those fit my hand/s and carry methods.

In Taurus single stack guise I have the Taurus 709, model 908 (two of them), and now for a G2s is getting a look at.

Oh, forgot to mention the two Taurus 732s in .32ACP. The PT22 of various models also round out the single stack pistol battery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links