Anyone own a PT709 in California?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By morrcarr67
  • 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By Wino
  • 1 Post By morrcarr67
  • 1 Post By DeltaBravoKS

Thread: Anyone own a PT709 in California?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Anyone own a PT709 in California?

I know it's probably a long shot but I'm looking for anyone that might own a taurus PT709 9mm in blued finish here in California. Please get in contact if possible, had a few questions.

Member #
    Liked
    1435 times
    I used to own one. Sold it because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

What questions do you have?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1542 times
    That's odd. I'd think a PT709 is the same anywhere as it is in CA. Of course, it doesn't look like it is on the list of approved guns for CA, so hopefully you didn't violate any laws obtaining it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25584 times
    ahh, maybe it would be easier/faster IF you just asked the question on the Forum??
    the Kalifornia 709 should be about the same as any other 709 as far as I know so many could possibly help you on that, now if its a Kalifornia legal question then you might be better off asking a local gun shop, gunsmith or Attorney Generals office in Kalifornia?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    25584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    That's odd. I'd think a PT709 is the same anywhere as it is in CA. Of course, it doesn't look like it is on the list of approved guns for CA, so hopefully you didn't violate any laws obtaining it.
    Not sure but doesn't a firearm need to be resubmitted every so often to be tested and listed on the roster?
    many firearm companies simply do not jump through the hoop to be able to sale in kalifornia, I don't think Taurus has submitted a weapon to kalifornia in quite a few years now?
    oldtimer likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    9379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Not sure but doesn't a firearm need to be resubmitted every so often to be tested and listed on the roster?
    many firearm companies simply do not jump through the hoop to be able to sale in kalifornia, I don't think Taurus has submitted a weapon to kalifornia in quite a few years now?
    Not since the PT24/7 & I believe the Mil Pro. I find it ironic that it made the list and ended up on a recall. So much for Cali testing.
    olfarhors and morrcarr67 like this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    You are correct that's it's not on the CA Roster of Approved Handguns. I got mine as a gift from my mother. That's also how I got my Taurus TCP. I kept that one because it shoots great. In fact it's on my CCW. Yup, I have one of those in CA. I'm one of about 11K in a county of 2.157 Million people who has one.
    Last edited by morrcarr67; 03-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    No. Once they are listed all a company needs to do is pay the renewal fee every year.

Problem is that if you make one little change to the gun THEN it needs to be retested and must comply with the current rules for getting on the roster. Right now that would mean micro stamping on semi auto pistols. Which can't be done at a reasonable price or that would last for more than a few rounds. Taurus hasn't listed anything new in years and only have a couple of revolvers still listed.

Now there's no micro stamping requirement for revolvers so they could have their entire revolver line up listed but they haven't chosen to do so. It's a shame too because they have several revolvers that i wouldn't mind owning. Now there is a way that we can get 3" or bigger revolvers but that adds $50-80 to the cost. While i don't mind paying the fee to get a nice older hard to get Smith or Colt. I find it hard to pay on a new $350-500 Taurus that should be listed on the roster.
    Last edited by morrcarr67; 03-18-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    You are correct that's it's not on the CA Roster of Approved Handguns. I got mine as a gift from my mother. That's also how I got my Taurus TCP. I kept that one because it shoots great. In fact it's on my CCW. Yup, i have one of those in CA. I'm one of about 11K in a county of 2.157 Million people who have one.
    Awesome. I'd ask how your mother got it in to CA, but the A.G. is probably monitoring this board...

I assume your TCP is a .380 as that is the most popular. I have one of those too, and it is a great little gun. It does take a toll on my old hands after about 50 rounds, so I don't shoot it much. I don't have a 709, but I do have a 740 and it, too, takes a toll on the hands.

You are definitely a rare breed, a CA'fornian with a conceal permit. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on other threads when the need for a CA opinion comes up.
    morrcarr67 likes this.

Sponsored Links