Pt738 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Pt738

Member #
    Liked
    26135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    LOL, does the improved accuracy of a hollow point make up for some of the assumptions you have been throwing around like they are fact?

If you want to shoot a 100 grain JHP out of a .380 Auto, just go to a denser powder. If you are running Unique, then Universal Clays will deliver more powder and it excels at the heavier weight bullets in the .380 Auto. Achieving 1,000 fps out of a 738 is not that hard. Personally, that is about what I shoot for in my 738, 1,000 fps whether that is an 80 grain copper bullet, 90 grain XTP, or a 105 grain Golden Saber. For whatever reason experience has shown me that bullets traveling just below the speed of sound penetrate a little better than the same bullet traveling just over the speed of sound.

I use Unique in my Golden Sabre loads (102 grains if I remember right?), usually use Unique in my practice range loads which utilize 100 grain RNFP.
    may use hp-38/ win 231 in my other lighter projectile self defense loads ( which run for 80 to 90 grain loads.)
    It seems by MY scientific testing in water filled milk jugs (using hard Georgia water) that the loads do seem to perform best at around 950 FPS for me and my official redneck testing.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10396 times
    If you would switch to Universal, you could push that 102 grain bullet a little faster (maybe break 1,000 fps) while still staying below SAMMI max pressure.

Check out Handloader OCT2010, Pearce got 1,126 fps with a 95 grain FMJ ahead of 4.3 grains of Universal from a Ruger LCP. Since Universal Clays seems to prefer heavier bullets (probably because of its pressure curve) it should do a little better than your Golden Saber does with Unique. Back in the 80's someone told me essentially the same thing about Unique and SR-7625 (now discontinued). I took that and was able to work up a load that used a 90 grain XTP to break 1,000 fps out of my under 2" barreled AMT Backup.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    26135 times
    yea, but to me its not worth it, I use the unique only for the 380 and mostly for the range loads (100 RNFP) so I don't want to get another powder just for that small change.
    took my Bersa Thunder to the range today, from 5 yards to 15 (that's 100 rounds now) everything was in the 9 or ten ring or forehead, so as long as I can do that I don't think a bit of a faster projectile is going to make a lot of difference.
    I feel like an Argentinian James Bond I tell ya!-------
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I’ve been running the Underwood Xtreme Defenders in my TCP. It’s a 65gr solid copper bullet. These meet and exceed the 12” FBI minimum. To get an idea of how good these are, look up Ammoquest on YouTube. Another suggestion is to replace the recoil spring and guide rod with ones from Galloway Precision. With the warmer defense loads, it shoots much flatter. I also put in an RTK trigger in mine. Makes your finger much happier.

Member #
    Liked
    26135 times
    I reload the 80 grain copper JHP in 380 and like its performance pretty well, course I gots Gold Dots, but Hornady XTP is my prime 380 loading for defense.
    seems to have adequate penetration (for a 380) and expands nicely at the right velocity and makes them really nice razor sharp petals to help cut all that tough slicky stuff it amy come in contact with as going into the body.
    really good sharp petals really help with chances of blood loss, generally speaking a FMJ or non expanding JHP will slip through the body pretty easy if it doesn't hit a big bone. walls of arteries, veins and organs are pretty tough.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links