TCP 738 back from Taurus, shooting well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: TCP 738 back from Taurus, shooting well

Member #
    Liked
    106 times

Cool TCP 738 back from Taurus, shooting well

My TCP was shooting terribly. FTE and FTF problems from day one, especially after shooting some dirty Monarch or Tulammo.

Took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it, but still had FTE issues with all types of good ammo.

Off to Miami it went and I received it back exactly eight weeks to the day from Taurus.

Website still showed that firearm was received and awaiting start of work, but when I called Taurus, they told me that it went out via FedEx and they gave me the tracking number.

Taurus replaced the extractor with a more beefy one; nothing else was changed.

Took it out to the range today. Shot well at 7 yards with good ammo and with cheap and dirty ammo. Pushed it out to 10 yards and still shot well - I could keep five shot bursts to within 8" diameter target. After a little practice, I could hit the 8" plate even at 15 yards. Was very impressed - it shot better and more easily than my Ruger LCP. I did have one FTF during the session, but once it warmed up, no more problems.

Well done, Taurus. Now I actually like this little pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Extractor issues are the next thing to assess on FTEs after making sure no limp wristing is involved ! Good Luck,We have the Spectrum and Flawless with no issues !

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Wow, eight weeks for an extractor replacement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28083 times
    OH Heck!
    I got eight weeks beat!
    it took them 9 weeks to get and replace my 1911 extractor!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1423 times
    Good to hear. I'm having problems with the extractor on my 738 too. Guess I'll send it to Miami.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahless View Post
    Wow, eight weeks for an extractor replacement?
    When I called in to get a work order number, I was told it would take 12 weeks at a minimum. I didn't know if this was to dissuade me from sending it in, but since this is not a carry piece and I have plenty of other toys to play with, I decided to send it in. When they got it, I got an email acknowledgement and also a letter saying the same. The website never got updated and it was perpetually in the "received" section of the workflow they show online. On a lark, I called Taurus customer service a few days before the close of two months and the rep told me that it was waiting for FedEx pickup. When it came in, the work order showed all the things they tested (ejector, barrel feed ramp) and what was replaced (extractor). They also fired 12 rounds of Winchester 95 g for testing. The piece looked like nothing had been done to it when I got it back. But when I took it apart, I noticed that they had put in a slightly larger extractor and had laid on the lube somewhat thick on the barrel exterior and near the rails.

Member #
    Liked
    1453 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1 View Post
    My TCP was shooting terribly. FTE and FTF problems from day one, especially after shooting some dirty Monarch or Tulammo.

Took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it, but still had FTE issues with all types of good ammo.

Off to Miami it went and I received it back exactly eight weeks to the day from Taurus.

Website still showed that firearm was received and awaiting start of work, but when I called Taurus, they told me that it went out via FedEx and they gave me the tracking number.

Took it out to the range today. Shot well at 7 yards with good ammo and with cheap and dirty ammo. Pushed it out to 10 yards and still shot well - I could keep five shot bursts to within 8" diameter target. After a little practice, I could hit the 8" plate even at 15 yards. Was very impressed - it shot better and more easily than my Ruger LCP. I did have one FTF during the session, but once it warmed up, no more problems.

I've tried the steel cased Monarch before in the past at the outdoor public range. The 100 rounds that I got, were very dirty and I also had a few weak primers in some of them. Carbon fouling from very dirty rounds can cause issues in small guns like this. But I'm glad your is working well after service.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    3835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1 View Post

Awesome man! Glad to hear they fixed you up!
    pradeep1 likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    Good to hear. I'm having problems with the extractor on my 738 too. Guess I'll send it to Miami.
    Will they sell the part? I replaced my extractor a few years ago. Taurus sold me the part. Not too hard to do.
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 08-05-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote syntax
    pradeep1 likes this.
    Taurus Judge. Glock 19
    TCP 738. KelTec PF9
    Beretta 21A. SCCY CPX2
    Ruger Mk I. Bersa Thunder 380
    Phoenix HP22. Taurus PT111G2
    EAA Witness Sig 938

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    [QUOTE=Silverbullit;5247195]
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    Good to hear. I'm having problems with the extractor on my 738 too. Guess I'll send it to Miami.[/QUOTE

Will they sell the part? I replaced my extractor a few years ago. Taurus sold me the part. Not too hard to do.
    If you ask nicely, they may just send you the extractor for no charge. When I called about my 709's recoil spring, they sent me an entire recoil assembly for free.
    Silverbullit likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links