TCP Feeding problem and the stuck last round symptom finally fixed , Wow ...
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By josey88
  • 2 Post By Oreocat

Thread: TCP Feeding problem and the stuck last round symptom finally fixed , Wow ...

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Thumbs up TCP Feeding problem and the stuck last round symptom finally fixed , Wow ...

Well, I have been tinkering with this issues for the last few days to find the solution to the feeding on my barely shot TCP (only 2 magazines fired) and also to the last rd getting stuck problem , all of this while using FMJ round nose ammo .
    So, I started by polishing almost everything ,the center rail and hammer(the center rail had a heavy brass mark on the top , sign of a massive big friction tale) so I polished them both to a mirror like finish , the breech face , the chamber face and interior , the ramp (this one to perfection) the outside of the barrel , etc . The manual cycling improved considerably and got much more smooth .
    I have been loading the gun with FMJ Federal Champion brass ammo , no hollow points .
    I then filed the stop lever so it was not touching the rds (also carefully) , then I noticed that when cycling the weapon , on its way in to the chamber the cartridge brushes against the extractor claw`s face and pushes it out in order to slide e the chamber . The extractor claw , then , brushes over the cartridge and falls down into position behind the cartridge`s rim , ready to extract the rd once it is fired .
    I checked and I saw that the outside surface of the extractor claw itself was rough , creating extra friction , so , very , very carefully , I polished it to a mirror finish , so now it brushes against the rds and slide thru the cycle without creating too much friction .
    It is my opinion that this extra friction of the extractor claw against the rds ,( keeping in mind that the extractor`s spring is a very strong one) , is what had been creating the feeding problem , with the rds getting stuck right in the middle , stopped by the damn extractor claw roughness surface friction that , along with the added resistance of the extractor`s claw spring , was enough to stop the rds . If you add the massive friction from the center rail against the rds , the gun was a complete cycling mess.
    I also put a small drop of gun oil on the extractor mechanism at the rear , to facilitate things .
    After that , I assembled the gun back on , loaded the 2 magazines I have with 6 rds each and proceeded to manually cycle the weapon ... perfect with one magazine ... it fed and ejected the 6 rds flawlessly ... then I went to the second mag : same thing , it fed and ejected the 6 rds flawlessly too . No last rd stuck , nothing .
    Well, I said to myself , I did something right here ... lets try to repeat the manual cycling to see if it was a fluke or what ...
    Then , I loaded the 2 mags again and tried for a second time ... first mag was perfect with feeding and ejecting the 6 rds and the second mag was also perfect ... again .
    Then , just to be able to be sure of what it had happened , I did it all over again for the third time ... the first mag was perfect and also the second mag , feeding and ejecting all the rds without a hitch again . No last rd getting stuck ... the gun was feeding and ejecting as it was designed to do ... perfectly .
    So, now confidently , I can tell that I have fixed the damn feeding problem on my TCP .
    All of this is with manually cycling the weapon , so , actually firing it should be even more smooth .
    I should point out that I am familiar with guns and I have been tinkering with them for long time , not up to the level of a gunsmith but I have converted my AKs , modified rifles , upgraded pistols , installed optics, trigger systems , etc etc . so caution and being careful is paramount .
    I have worked on Mosins , Veprs, ARs , Scars 17, VZ-58 ... the works , so I knew what I was doing .
    I used my Dremel with polishing paste and most importantly, I was very, very careful on that extractor claw .
    And just for the sake of it , I went and reloaded the two mags again and cycled them manually for the fourth time... perfect again . Now I am 100% confident that I have fixed the damn 738 feeding and ejecting problem (mine is a "D" model) , for good . I alternated with the first rd by racking the gun manually and also by holding the carrier back with the stop lever and letting it go ... no matter , the gun would feed correctly every time .
    Hollow points , well... I haven`t try it with hollow points yet . I will be buying some personal defense rds and will try it . I installed a Viridian laser on the gun a few days ago and I just zeroed it .
    But , judging by the way the gun is now functioning , I don`t think hollow points will have any problem. After all , it was not the type of head of the rd what was causing the problem but the amount of friction applied on at the same time the real cause of all the trouble cycling the gun .

Last edited by josey88; 03-01-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I was getting last round FTFs too, and a little filing of the stop lever helped solve my problem thanks to those that mentioned this on the forums. I like your sights, did you paint them yourself or did yours come that way?
    Hi-Standard Sentinel 4" 9 shot 22LR revolver
    NAA 1 5/8" 5 shot 22LR/WMR revolver with folding holster
    Taurus PT-22
    Taurus TCP 738
    S&W 642 revolver

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
    I was getting last round FTFs too, and a little filing of the stop lever helped solve my problem thanks to those that mentioned this on the forums. I like your sights, did you paint them yourself or did yours come that way?
    I painted them myself . I used touch up white paint from my white Lexus GS .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36264 times
    Nice work, thanks for sharing!
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Follow up :
    Well, to finish up on my original post (a fairly lengthy post , I would say , lol... ) as to the functioning of the TCP 738 loaded with hollow points , I went to Walmart this morning and bought a box of 20 Federal Premium Hydra-Shok hollow point personal defense ammo . Expensive little critters , if you get my meaning at $19.57 a box of only 20 rds plus tax . Anyway , I was curious , so I got them , got back to the house and emptied the mag from the Federal Champion Brass FMJ rds , loaded it with the Hydra-Shok rds and tried cycling the gun manually .
    As I predicted previously on my original post , the HP rds functioned perfectly . The gun cycled manually as smooth as with the FMJ round nose rds .
    The problem is not with the type of head on the rd , be a HP or a round nose FMJ ... it is the friction between the different parts of the gun against the bullets that create the problem .
    Once you eliminate that extra friction , the gun is as smooth as butter .
    I am so glad I was right about the hollow points , because if they would not had worked , I cut not return them so I would have lost $20.00 , lol... But , in truth , I was absolutely sure I was right , as in fact , I was .
    If any of you wants to fix the little TCP idiosyncratic and moody problems , all you have to do is to read my post and polish the specific parts that I mention on it .
    Besides that , if the gun happens to be defective or has a broken part , a trip south is , of course, warranty mandatory .
    Below is a pic of the box of Federal Champion FMJ ammo and of the Federal Hydra-Shok HP personal defense rds I got from Walmart .
    Cheers ...
    Last edited by josey88; 02-28-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I read this post yesterday afternoon. My TCP is much more broken in than the org. poster's. As of yesterday I had 1,100 through it. It has had the failure to go into battery issue from day one. Over time I had done the slide stop filing slowly over several cleanings. I have two Taurus mags and two Mec-Gar mags. At 600 rounds I switched to the Galloway 12 lb recoil spring and guide rod. I used many brands of ammo over time. I had it down to liking hollow points better than ball and I always had at least two failures to go into battery per 50 rounds. Of all brands it liked PPU brand best.

After reading this thread I figured this gun really had no value as trade fodder, so I got some fine emery cloth and went over the frame rails. I very lightly filed the sharp edge of the gap toward the rear of the right frame rail, and polished the rails with Flitz and a buffer wheel on the Dremel Tool.

I went out this morning and fired 100 rounds, 50 PPU 94 gr ball & 50 Blazer Brass 95 gr ball. 100% GOOD! no issues of any kind. Between the filing of the slide stop & smoothing out of the frame rails it seems to be all good now. 1,200 rounds and going strong.
    Czechbikr and pradeep1 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36264 times
    Thanks to the OP for his detailed report and his work to improve the TCP. I am going to close this for comments and sticky so that all may get the benefit of the forum member's work!
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links