Decided to trade the TCP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Decided to trade the TCP

Member #
    Liked
    6284 times
    I have a J frame .38 spc that I keep in a bed holster.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11065 times
    Assuming that you'll carry with one in the chamber, just remember that the LCP is double action with a pretty smooth but long trigger pull as its "safety." The LCP II, (which I carry every day), is somewhat Glock-like with the single action protected by a trigger blade safety and a hammer block. Should be fine in a good pocket holster, but not in the cheesy one that comes with the LCP II.
    Last edited by coopercdrkey; 10-27-2017 at 04:10 AM.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "It's the Change Orders that make you money, but it's the Punch Lists that cost ya..." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27341 times
    Sorry about your problems Chef.
    Re: used vs. new..... look at used as being experienced and having the breaking in period done for you.
    Sekol likes this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    I also had a "C" series TCP that never worked right. I sent it back once, and then had a local guy play with it a bit. He got it running well for a couple years. When it started acting up again, I sent it to Miami a second time. Taurus sent me a BNIB replacement, which I immediately sold off—unfired, with full disclosure. I had lost all confidence in Taurus, post law suit. These thread tell the story.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...d-service.html

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/70...k-ordered.html

I replaced it with this Colt Mustang.

Pretty Little Pony: Colt Mustang Pocketlite Review - Handguns

It works every time. It is accurate. I shoot it well, but better shooters than I have even better results with it than I. It is small, easily concealed. There is a lot to recommend it. I found it it better than the LCP models, but that is only a personal opinion.

Whatever you decide to purchase, Chef, may it take you home safe every night.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    What series was it?
    By the time you hear the gunshot, it's already too late...
    Circuit Judge (2), 738 TCP, Rossi .38 Special, Taurus TX22

Member #
    Salado, TX: Halfway between a weird and a wacko place!
    Liked
    1239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    One big detractor for me on the regular LCP model is that it does not lock the slide back after the last round. The LCP II does. Now, you can use LCP mags in an LCP II but the slide will not lock back so best to use LCP II mags in an LCP II. The S&W has an external safety but it was God awful to actuate. Almost took both hands to get it to move - don't want that when TDHTF. Also the S&W trigger is pretty bad. Looong pull and breaks way late. I know the Galloway trigger kit can fix that but I don't want to buy a gun that takes additional tweaking of this and that to make it acceptable. The LCP II is hammer fired DA (revolver style) but has a trigger blade safety and is 6+1.

Any additional thoughts on used vs new? I really appreciate the feedback!
    I went through exactly the same research regarding the LPC II and the S&W Bodyguard. The LPC II gets better reviews but the Bodyguard's awful safety and awful trigger may be for a purpose. The range guy Red's Range in Austin told me they sold a LPC II to a guy and warned him about needing a holster but he took the pistol outside, stuck it in his pocket and shot his foot and left in an ambulance.

To be honest, what tripped the scales for me was the $50 S&W rebate and two other credits I got for using a PX credit card at the Exchange at Ft. Hood. So I ended up with the Bodyguard with integrated laser. Not my first choice, BUT I've been delighted! Also, Academy had some after-market mags for the Bodyguard that hold 10 rounds if you don't mind extending the grip.

You get used to the awful Bodyguard trigger and you don't have to use the safety, but it will loosen up with use. I can turn on the laser and fire the pistol from the hip and get excellent patterns. Think of the DAO is another safety feature, considering where you carry the pistol and how it is drawn. As you stated, the trigger is L O N G and brakes late but I have no accuracy issues. Unlike my PT 111 G2, I'd had no reliability issues. After two trip to Miami, the G2 is doing much better but, until I shoot a few hundred more rounds through it, I just cannot trust it.

I'm a completely satisfied Bodyguard owner. Also, either pocket pistol will be "snappy." You're not going to enjoy firing several boxes of rounds at the range but, wow, does it ever feel good in the pocket. Wear it and forget it! I'd say, I don't think you could go wrong with the LPC II, but I kind of think you can from a safety perspective.

I really "get" what you're saying about trading in your TCP. I had a pistol that was having issues and I didn't want to sell it to a private individual because I didn't want them to come back to me when they discovered the same issues. Buyer beware! So I traded it for another pistol at a local gun shop.
    Last edited by Para_Bellum; 10-27-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Parabellum—Latin for "prepare for war," from the phrase, Si vis pacem, para bellum, meaning "If you want peace, prepare for war." Kind of Georg Luger's version of Colt "peacemaker."
    It is fatal to enter an war without the will to win it. Douglas MacArthur
    (Fired by Harry S. Truman for wanting to permanently resolve the issue with North Korea).
    The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. William C. Westmoreland

Member #
    Liked
    7036 times
    If you don't trust the gun you might as well get rid of it. After all you are the only one you have to please.
    coopercdrkey and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6284 times
    Traded the TCP this morning for the LCP II. Got $110 for the TCP and used it on the new purchase (I decided to buy new) and with my Vet discount the out-the-door price on the LCP II was $167.65. Probably get out to the range this weekend or early next week to give it a run. I stripped it and it looked remarkably clean for a new gun. No gooped up grease or anything, but I still gave I a good wipedown. As long as she breaks in and shoots fine I'll be happy.
    Czechbikr, tp2177 and Para_Bellum like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11065 times
    Ruger!..... (Need I say more?)
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "It's the Change Orders that make you money, but it's the Punch Lists that cost ya..." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    Traded the TCP this morning for the LCP II. Got $110 for the TCP and used it on the new purchase (I decided to buy new) and with my Vet discount the out-the-door price on the LCP II was $167.65. Probably get out to the range this weekend or early next week to give it a run. I stripped it and it looked remarkably clean for a new gun. No gooped up grease or anything, but I still gave I a good wipedown. As long as she breaks in and shoots fine I'll be happy.

Congrats on the new Ruger!
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links