How to safely carrying a 709 with round in chamber? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How to safely carrying a 709 with round in chamber?

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by right2arms View Post
    *SNIP*

By the way, when the slide is in full battery, it only takes maybe a quarter to a half inch of pulling the slide rearward to cock the striker. If trying to get the gun into an un-cocked double action pull like demonstrated on a posted video, it is something to consider. I'm personally not comfortable with that method, especially because I like to function check my weapon every time I reassemble it, among other reasons.
    It takes 0.02" of slide travel to reset the slide catch on mine. And roughly 0.37" to cock the striker. I've "function tested" this method dozens of times at the range and never had a failure to fire and cycle. If I had even one failure, I would not be using the method in the video.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    5608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    "Excessively handling a firearm with a round in the chamber"? Really? At least I'm handling it without it being cocked with a round in the chamber. I'm handling it uncocked and with the safety on rather than cocked with the safety on. Which has the higher probability of a discharge?

As far as reading the manual, everything in there is to protect Taurus, not me.
    Don't kid yourself, reassembling the firearm after placing a round in the chamber increases the probability you will have an accident. If you load it properly from the magazine, put the safety on and place it in the holster where it belongs there will be no issue. Reassembling the firearm with the round in the chamber gives you more opportunity to have a negligent discharge.
    You can make all the claims you want about it being safer, it's not.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    It takes 0.02" of slide travel to reset the slide catch on mine. And roughly 0.37" to cock the striker. I've "function tested" this method dozens of times at the range and never had a failure to fire and cycle. If I had even one failure, I would not be using the method in the video.
    Thanks for sharing the exact measurements! Saves me a chore I had scheduled to do in the name of accuracy. My spitball of between .25 and .50 puts your measurements exactly in the middle of my range, which is .375. I get an acorn like this at least once a month if my parameters are wide enough.

Your solution is a neat idea and I appreciate you sharing it. I am just not fully comfortable enough with it for my own personal tastes. I will admit I will probably try it next time out at the range. Taurus did have a solution to this preference of a striker pistol being automatically in DA for first shot with the 24/7 compact gen 2 DA/SA with de-cocker. Possibly a little bit big to replace a pt709.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Thank you everyone for your useful feedback and thoughts!

Member #
    Liked
    28095 times
    Geez!
    I am going over to visit Miss Sekols quilting forum if you guys keep talking about reading the manuals , and following the manufactures directions on use!
    I mean you would think that the manufacture designs and builds these things and really knows whats going on with them!!!----
    next it will be suggesting that I read a map to see where I am going!!!!
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    5608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Geez!
    I am going over to visit Miss Sekols quilting forum if you guys keep talking about reading the manuals , and following the manufactures directions on use!
    I mean you would think that the manufacture designs and builds these things and really knows whats going on with them!!!----
    next it will be suggesting that I read a map to see where I am going!!!!
    No map, an Atlas will suffice. I don't know if you can just join in the quilting without a long family history of quilting or an intensive course.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Thanks for the question OP!
    I carry my auto loaders with a round in the chamber and the manual safety on. Also, when i sleep with my gun on the night stand it has a round in the chamber and the manual safety on. I practice at the range and at home with drawing the gun, taking safety off, aim and fire. I wont buy an auto loader without a manual safety. I drop the gun off the night stand and go to grab it, I am going to want the manual safety on. I go digging through my brief case for my gun, i want the manual safety on.
    That's my two cents.

Oh, and stick around this forum, you will learn a lot! I know I do.
    pradeep1 and DTimm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28095 times
    Depends on the particular weapon for me.
    In the case of the 1911 I carry it cocked and locked, on the CZ (most have a De-cocker) and it is carried de-cocked, same with the Beretta PX4SC and really any DA/ SA semi auto.
    my sig 238 is a mini 1911 so is carried cocked and locked.
    one thing in common on all is that its got a round in the chamber.
    I honestly now find that de-cocked is better for me and carry than cocked and locked, especially if its got a really good DA pull.
    the night stand gun the PT99 is loaded/ de -cocked with the safety on, the reason that its the night stand gun is that the wife can use it better and more effectively than any weapon we own.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links