PT709 vs Kel-tec P-11 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: PT709 vs Kel-tec P-11

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I like the Slim pistols (mine is a 740) better than any other polymer single stack, period. The Rugers don't fit my hand as well, and the one I tried had an awful trigger. I don't like the trigger design of S&W poly guns. The XD single stacks feel too glockish in my hand; the backstrap is too far from the trigger face, even if the grip fits pretty well otherwise. And the Taurii have thumb safeties, which I insist on.

The 709/740 are in a class of their own for me.
    I think that's what I found also. We shot both of them last Thursday and I still like my 709 the best

I think a lot of people choose one gun over the other simply because of the name, they ever give the others a try/chance. Ruger is good (and I have a few) but that's all my buddy owns, won't consider anything else.
    Last edited by Dubar; 12-26-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30106 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubar View Post
    I think a lot of people choose one gun over the other simply because of the name, they ever give the others a try/chance.
    Very true. Heck, I'll admit that I've probably done this too. I may have missed out on some excellent guns because a) I'm still holding a grudge against S&W for the way they colluded with the Clinton administration, and b) I don't like their poly trigger design, and have never tried a metal S&W semi trigger that didn't feel cheap and awful to me. And Turkey is sliding into theocratic tyrrany, so I won't try any of their guns.

But when I had the chance to shoot a Ruger single stack poly 9, I hopped on it. I love Colt revolvers, but I saw a deal on a non-View and grabbed it.

Mix it up. Try new guns. If it fills a void, maybe even buy it and really get to know it.

Who am I preaching to at this point?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    25584 times
    I lean to the CZ because they fit me like a glove, almost everyone that I have tried, and their customer support, ability to obtain any part quickly.
    also the Tanfoglio for the ergonomics and great performance they offer and especially at the price point.
    I am also a 1911 guy and have some 16-17 different brands. I am at the age that I simply quit messing with problem children that are a pain to take to the range due to malfunctions, parts in availability, and poor or no customer service.
    Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory, and colt, ruger are also favored but not like the CZ -Tangs are.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I just picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 Combat, I'm taking it to the range today.

I love the looks of this gun and if it runs as good as everybody says, this may become my favorite of the month!

Name:  01.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  228.4 KB
    olfarhors likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30127 times
    I almost ended up with a .22 caliber Bersa, but then Ruger came out with the SR22 and changed my mind.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I put 50 rounds the Bersa Sunday, I think the 709 has some competition!

They're almost the same size, the Bersa (8 round) is a bit thicker, not quite 3/8" and feels good in my hands. Also not as much recoil with the shorter .380 round.

I watched a video the other day and the guy said about the only differences between a .380 and 9mm round are: shorter casing, more rounded nose, and the 9mm casing is tapered whereas the .380 is straight. he called it a "9mm Short" like a .22 short.

I took a buddy with me to let him shoot my Bersa, Taurus, and FMK 9C1G2 so he can decide on what he wants to buy and was occupied with him most of the time and wasn't able to concentrate as well, so my results were OK but not great. This was at 7-8 yards:

Name:  02_01.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  233.8 KB

I'm going to a gun show this weekend and hope to fondle a Bersa Thunder Plus with the 15 round mag to see what that feels like.
    Last edited by Dubar; 01-08-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    25584 times
    thats exactly how i ended up wiht a PT709 when they first came out.
    I figured in the same size gun, sme weight gun why not carry a 9 MM VS a 380, same basic capcity and everything.
    the only problem the 709 just was not accurate in my hands, not nearly as much as the Bersa, so the 709 went on down the road and I still have 2 bersa.
    although I will admit that i purchased a Sig Sauer 365 which is 9 MM and I can out shoot the bersa with it , so now i got a pocket 9 MM.
    lots of differences in 380 and 9 x 19 however--- the 380 operates at 21,500 PSI-- the 9 MM operates at 35,000 PSI and IF you want you can get a 9 MM Plus p that operates at 38,500 PSI, the 9 MM is about twice as powerful as the 380 in standard pressure and more in Plus P, there is a larger selection of ammo projectiles to choose from in the 9 MM.
    of course the 9 MM generally launches a heavier projectile at a faster speed as well.
    now I am not opposed to the 380 at all and carry one, But they are not anywhere near the same cartridge.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I hear ya. I got the Bersa mainly for looks (and the fact that the Makarovs, CZs, and other like pistols are going for high $$$ and old), that is EXACTLY the style of gun I was looking for. If I can find a 9x19 with the looks of the Bersa I might be tempted.

Not long ago I was at the range and had maybe 25 rnds of 22 shorts that have been in my box forever. I shot them mainly to get rid of them. Even with 22 there's a huge difference between a short and a LR. That's how I equate the 380 to the 9mm, just a shorter version and not as powerful. Wish it wasn't twice the price!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links