Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Taurus 709 "slim" holster options

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Name:  IMG_20170305_221400.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  495.3 KB Made this out of scrap ABS PVC pipe. I loops around the belt sort of like the OSS String holster. I have carried it around the house and out to the store once or twice, but it is not my first option. Just something to experiment with.
    Thanks
    Jeremy Bays

HUD
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I use the clip-draw either by itself or in combination with a custom kydex OWB holster or a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (the one with the spare mag pocket).

Member #
    Liked
    21455 times
    I run with the Galco L119L and it's a perfect fit IWB holster. I generally carry it in the 1-3 o'clock positions so it works great.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    When I purchased my Taurus 709 Slim, I wanted to get a simple Uncle Mike's IWB holster.
    Other owners gave mixed reports of which size was the correct one - it was confusing. So, I ordered three different sizes (cheap and easy to return to local Walmart) and joined this forum just to clarify the matter for others! Here's what I discovered - size #16 is the one that fits best - fits perfectly.

1) size #1 = too small/tight - the trigger guard would not fit into it. For me, however, the #1 is still a keeper, for it does fit my old Colt Gov. .380 just fine ... for less than $10, I'll hold onto it! NO GOOD for my 709, though. I don't know if the earler version of the 709 Slim (aka: PT 709) had a smaller trigger guard that allows the size #1 to fit, but my 709 Slim is a current version.

2) size #15 = OK, but a bit too long. If you like to wear your gun really deep, this works great. With the 709 sitting in the #15 holster at its "natural" insertion, there is about an inch of extra length to the holster. However, the pistol can be pushed all the way down such that the end of the muzzle ends up resting at the bottom of the holster ... but, the trade-off is that the grip gets partially swallowed up, too. This makes it more difficult to get a good purchase on the grip for a good draw, BUT it does allow for deeper concealment. At first, I thought this might work for me in the AIWB position, but it sat too low and I couldn't bend/sit with comfort. For some larger, tall folks with more room between their belly button and crotch, this could work. (EDIT: I think I can work with this ... by not fully seating the gun all the way down - see edit below, too). For keeping the 709 stowed away in a drawer, or on a nightstand, etc., this size provides a bit of extra protection for the gun, so it is something to consider as a "storage" holster ... if not the perfect size for a carry-holster.

3) #16 - ah, the "sweet 16" = just right! For my 709, this is the clear winner = ample coverage/protection; allows for quick grip; no forcing it to fit. (EDIT: after wearing it a bit more, I've decided that, although the gun fits the holster nicely, the holster itself rides a bit high with too much gun above the belt ... and, as such, the gun leans outward away from my body, thus printing too much. Soooooo ... I actually like the size: 15 better after all ... even though it requires a two-step draw = 1) grab the butt of the grip and pull up + 2) re-position to get a better grip. It is not a fast draw, but it conceals very well, so it's an option.)

OK, so there you have it. Is the Uncle Mike's simple IWB holster the best? Nope, but the size #16 is the best size for the 709.

Also, I bought four additional holsters and am actually pleased with all of them. I know, I know ... 7 HOLSTERS for a < $200 pistol!!!??? OK, I'm a bit ... oh, whatever! I've been rotating all the holsters and will eventually determine a favorite, or two, but all have their pros (and cons). At their affordable prices, it makes sense, to me, to test-drive several for a while. None are "bad" ... really!

1) ForgedTec = their IWB = under $30, deliverd (Etsy). Standard, .080 Kykex - Really nice - extends beyond the muzzle just enough to allow the kydex to be rolled inward and then have enough of an "edge" left over to make it closed, not open-ended = no extra un-needed length. All angles are radiused gently, no sharp corners. It has an integrated sweat-guard and adjustable tension, with a user selectable cant choice of either 0 or 15-degrees. Height is fixed, but fits me proper. Fit is great, finish is fine, and delivery was quick. It's comfortable and secure, yet allows for a nice, smooth draw - very pleased.

2) onyour6designs = their OWB model = $52, delivered.
    "rides high and tight", thinner (.060?) Kydex, pancake-style with an integrated curve. Adjustable for cant or for height (if carrying at zero-degree cant). It's almost "too tight" and has no (apparent)

tension adjust-ability - none; it currently requires a firm "yank" to free it ... I'm hoping it will loosen a tad, but it is very detail-molded with no slop, so I don't know. The two pancake halves are riveted together, with no screws - this makes it extra thin, so, like everything, there are trade-offs. I'm going to add a small wedge on the inboard side of the bottom edge to push the grip into my side a bit more - I'm thin (uh, scrawny) so I need a little extra help. As is, it actually conceals quite well and is very comfy. Their IWB - at least as pictured for the 709 - it's not as form-fitted/molded, but a more "generic" looking fit, with an open bottom ... not especially impressive. BUT, their OWB is a nice design.

3) Tagua IWH-004 - $22, delivered. A leather, minimalist belt slide. I removed and tossed the cheap clip (was rusting on its underside!) and will only use it with its Belt Slots. Several reviews I saw of this holster are by folks who don't seem to know how to use the loops and actually clip the holster on the outside of the belt ... instead of putting the holster under the belt - doh! When used as "it should", it's pretty nice - VERY tight now, when new. When the gun is out, it doesn't look like a "holster", per se ... it could be for hanging a hammer, or other tool ... well, almost ... LOL. It's well made and can accomodate several different guns - versatile.

4) Desantis Sof-Tuck #106, 106NAV5Z0 = $21
    The extra layer around the mouth that allows for easy re-holstering does make it a bit thicker than I'd prefer. The gun fits very tightly, but is not too tight - it should stretch a bit and fit even better.

There are a TON of holsters now available for the 709 Slim. I spent hours reading reviews and researching before ordering my above "collection". I also looked at more expensive units from other

makers ... in case I end-up being disappointed by the budget ones and need to splurge a bit later on. Here are three more that caught my eye and look to be most promising:

- vedder holsters (both the LightTuck (IWB) and the LightDraw (OWB)
    - stealth gear holsters (especially the Ventcore Appendix)
    - foxx holsters (especially the LittleFoxx)

Finally, I got a kydex magazine carrier (holster) that is very nice from eBayer: blackjacketconcealment. it has a minimal footprint and functions as it should - $25 Other makers' offerings have too much extra "meat" that isn't desirable, IMHO.

Hope this helps some folks - Cheers!
    Hmmm .. I tried to insert some pis, but can't seem to (?).
    Last edited by MonoLoco; 06-22-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    nevadabob, Yitty and Stroker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I am using an allen size 10, it has the raised spiderweb pattern i use in the small of the back it tucks nicely and doesnt slip.Name:  20170626_193453.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  684.3 KB
    Stroker and pradeep1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've had my 709 for a few months now and have put 200 rounds through it with no problems.
    I started looking for an IWB holster for it and didn't see anything I liked.
    I checked out High Noon Holsters website in Florida and decided to get their "Hidden Ally" model.

I should have it in a week and I'll check back with a review after another week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by XRaycer; 01-16-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    “The trouble when people stop believing in God is not that they thereafter believe in nothing; it is that they thereafter believe in anything.
    In this century, 'anything' has included Hitler, Stalin and Mao, authors of the great genocidal madnesses of our time.”

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well, the LEATHER holster that I ordered from High Noon Holsters website in Florida arrived today.
    The holster is some synthetic material and not leather as I ordered.
    I'll be calling them Monday for a Return Authorization number.
    As a matter of fact, though the holster I ordered was specifically for a 709 Slim, the bag it came in says it is for about 10 different guns.
    Very disappointed.
    “The trouble when people stop believing in God is not that they thereafter believe in nothing; it is that they thereafter believe in anything.
    In this century, 'anything' has included Hitler, Stalin and Mao, authors of the great genocidal madnesses of our time.”

Member #
    Liked
    10392 times
    CrossBreed MiniTuck and its clones are the most comfortable holsters for CC of small to medium autos. They curve, or adapt to your body spreading the load on the belt out, they don't twist or move around and they ride comfortably against your body. You can adjust the cant and ride height to your satisfaction. Being a lefty, it is hard to find holsters period, much less good ones, and even then there are features that a lefty needs that you righties don't. I need my holster to cover the mag release. Nothing worse than leaning back on a counter, or table and popping the mag out.

So I started making my own holsters and what I arrived at are essentially CrossBreed clones, either the MiniTuck or the SuperTuck. I wear my holsters tucked, so driving and sitting are essential. I thought about cross draw, but found that the 8 o'clock position works best for me. I know appendix carry is popular right now, but I don't like carrying with the barrel pointing at my junk, or into my hip. Appendix carry may look gangster and work great when you are standing with your shirt out, but for the majority of my carry needs, it just doesn't work for me. I could see strong side carry with a forward, or FBI cant, but tucked it still sticks out without a suit coat, or jacket.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I have a Tagua holster that cab be worn OWB or IWB:

Name:  _23Login Trains.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  273.8 KB

Name:  _24Login Trains.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  275.3 KB

Name:  _25Login Trains.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  268.0 KB

Name:  _26Login Trains.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  291.8 KB
    Stroker likes this.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36421 times
    Clip draw. Have used one on my PT709 for over 5 years. Goes over belt, over pocket, or inside pocket, which is the way I usually carry it.

μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Sponsored Links