Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PT709 Chambered Round FTF

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36424 times
    See my video on page 1...

As an update, I went to the range this afternoon to do a little testing. I single loaded each of my EDC ammunition...Federal 124 grain HST, Winchester 147 grain PDX, Winchester 147 grain White Box jhp, Remington 124 grain Golden Saber, and Inceptor 74 grain ARX polymer, to see if they all fired on double action, and didn't have a single misfire.

In the past, my first round at the range has always been one that was single loaded for concealed carry and fired double action. Those include FMJ rounds like Perfecta, TulAmmo, WWB, ZQI, UMC, and Federal aluminum case.

Of course my 709 has fewer than 1,000 rounds through it and the firing pin spring is still virtually new.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Wow, thanks for the video

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samkent View Post
    It brings to mind . .
    Hey fellars watch this !

As adult men how many times in our past have we done something and then after the accident or years later said to ourselves.
    God I was dumb for doing that.
    Just pulling that slide back with a round in the breech sets off the warning bells in my head.

If that's the condition you want to end up with, go for a gun with a decocker.
    You are assuming two malfunctions in the mechanics of the pistol happening at the same time. The slide is only pulled back far enough to engage the slide lock, not far enough to cock the striker. Maybe you can explain how it can fire with the striker in the uncocked position and the firing pin block still in place.

Yeah, it might happen, but then again, Honduras might attack us with thermonuclear bananas tomorrow too. Possible and probable are two entirely separate things.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    You are assuming two malfunctions in the mechanics of the pistol happening at the same time. The slide is only pulled back far enough to engage the slide lock, not far enough to cock the striker. Maybe you can explain how it can fire with the striker in the uncocked position and the firing pin block still in place.

Yeah, it might happen, but then again, Honduras might attack us with thermonuclear bananas tomorrow too. Possible and probable are two entirely separate things.
    I agree with you. The firing pin spring is totally at rest, and blocked by the firing pin block. In fact, I think the normal way of loading a round in the chamber is a bit more dangerous, not saying it is dangerous, as you are in fact compressing the firing pin spring and releasing the slide forward with force. How is this any better?
    I am always scared of slam fires, which is a possibility and have happened before, just not with this fine 709 Taurus With this method of CWB a slam fire is 100% impossible, not even a mechanical failure will induce it as no springs are tentioned. The ONLY way it will fire is when the trigger is pulled, which will mean a negligent discharge and not a accidental discharge.

The only problem I see with this method is that the firing pin does not strike with the same force if used in this DA mode. Some ammo will not go off. I my tests S&B ammo's primers is too hard to go off with this pistol in DA mode.
    So it it very important to test what you are going to carry in the chamber very good to make sure it will go bang with 100% consistency. With the rounds in the mag it does not matter, as the pistol reverts to SA mode during the firing cycle.

I wish I could install a bit stiffer firing pin spring, just for that extra peace of mind
    Last edited by Hunter2020; 03-31-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    CWB likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    What is the catch?
    Taurus pt709 slim
    Mauser WW2 8mm with a .30 06 barrel
    Mossberg 20 gauge pump jr. Model
    Marlin model 60 .22lr

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8672 times
    My PT709 arrived with a preservative in the interior of the gun, and the interior and exterior of the magazines (it had three). The exterior of the gun had been wiped down by the shop. Taurus uses a preservative , not a lubricant, in shipping. Most of us clean out guns as a matter of routine, inspect them, then lube them. Not everyone thinks about the magazine.

I pull my mags apart (the last ones were for my PT111 G2), use a solvent to clean the tube, the spring, base plate, and follower, and then wipe the parts down with a lightly oiled rag. Let that sit for 5-10 minutes, or while you clean the gun, then wipe everything with a clean, dry, cloth and reassemble the magazine. Make sure that the spring is properly oriented. Debris built up in the magazine can cause unusual feed issues. Make sure that you clean the lips of the magazine . A build-up of burned preservative there, mixed with debris from the firing, could also affect the feed cycle. I'd also recommend examining the interior of the magazines for burrs that could be jamming things up with a full mag.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    19172 times
    A month has passed and nothing from the OP. I wonder if he got things worked out.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello all. I should have updated this before now, but sometimes life happens and things like this get put on the backburner. Since my last post, I; purchased a second mag, took both mags apart and gave them a good cleaning, and stored them loaded for a few weeks. I've been to the range twice since, and have not had any issues since. I've been able to load a round, eject the mag, re-load to full, and then go through all 8 rounds without any issue. I think the ticket was keeping the mags loaded and getting that spring broken in a bit. The mags weren't really dirty and i didn't find any burrs or possible hang-ups, so process of elimination leads me to believe it was the stiffness of the spring. Thanks for the suggestions all, I appreciate it! I'm a happy PT709 Slim owner!
    Wino likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links