SA or DA safety no safety while carrying ds model
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

SA or DA safety no safety while carrying ds model

How do you carry your 24/7 pro ds model? Do you have it decocked and ready for a double action pull, cocked and ready for a single action pull with safety on, or cocked with safety off?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: SA or DA safety no safety while carrying ds model

I just got my 24/7 C DS. I wanted a firearm I could carry that did not require me to use two hands to cock it if someone was throwing lead my way. My ideal was a decocker with a thumb safety since you can have a DA trigger pull and a manual safety. If you have a decent holster, the trigger is covered to prevent Glockitis (shooting yourself in the leg/nutz). If you are drawing correctly, you won't have your finger on the trigger until it is needed.

I couldn't imagine having to rack the slide in an emergency. The DA feature means that should the safety ever not engage properly, you have the added security of knowing that it takes a complete long pull of the trigger. Of course, these are all issues of personal preference. I like to err on the side of safety when dealing with firearms.
    Resorting to shooting someone in self defense should always be the last option in conflict resolution; nevertheless, I would like to retain the option in case it is ever needed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Do you think you would have the fine motor skills to manipulate the safety if someone came up on you in an emergency

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27597 times

Quote Originally Posted by NothinSpecial

I couldn't imagine having to rack the slide in an emergency.
    You know, when I first bought my 738 TCP which has no decocker - no safety, I tried practicing how to quickly I could remove the weapon from my pocket holster, rack the slide to chamber a round, and fire the little dynamo.

What I quickly found out is that, in a rapid withdrawal of the weapon, and attempting to rack the slide to chamber a round, I only chambered a round in about one third of my attempts.

I began thinking that, if I were in a tense self-defense situation where the use of my handgun might mean the difference between life and death, I would not want to be fumbling around trying to rack the slide, etc.

So...I now carry the 738 with one in the pipe and a full magazine. If it comes out of my pocket holster or Bulldog pouch it will be ready to use the instant I acquire my target.

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by newguyjosh
    Do you think you would have the fine motor skills to manipulate the safety if someone came up on you in an emergency
    On my 24/7 it is placed right where my thumb is. Every time I train with the pistol, that is one of the things I practice. It's becoming second nature to flip it. Certainly a lot easier than racking the slide. If I can get to my gun, the safety will not be a problem. That is one of the many thoughtful features Taurus put into the 24/7 C DS series. I'm very pleased with my gun.

Took it to the range today for the first time. I was able to land on an 8 1/2x11 piece of paper without a problem at 25 ft with my first handgun on my first range visit with a 45acp hand cannon. All in all, I am very pleased. I'll probably wear more ear protection next time though. Was a quite a bit louder than I anticipated. Sounded like a cannon.
    Resorting to shooting someone in self defense should always be the last option in conflict resolution; nevertheless, I would like to retain the option in case it is ever needed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

In my question I just assumed that one was in the pipe..I cant imagine carrying one that wasnt...might as well not carry in my opinion. My question is do you carry SA or DA safety on or off? My preference is SA safety off. I dont want to have to rely on getting the safey off in a stress emergency situation. I used to carry DA with safety off but the DA on my pistol almost always has light strikes now. The take up is so long on the SA, my trigger is completely covered by my holster, and its still a somewaht firm break with SA. So I think its safe SA no safety.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by newguyjosh
    In my question I just assumed that one was in the pipe..I cant imagine carrying one that wasnt...might as well not carry in my opinion. My question is do you carry SA or DA safety on or off? My preference is SA safety off. I dont want to have to rely on getting the safey off in a stress emergency situation. I used to carry DA with safety off but the DA on my pistol almost always has light strikes now. The take up is so long on the SA, my trigger is completely covered by my holster, and its still a somewaht firm break with SA. So I think its safe SA no safety.
    It all comes down to your preference. DA requires a little more trigger pull but I found the trigger easy to manage even for my first time out on a DA action. I've read where so many gun owners have accidentally shot themselves with SA that I don't think I would ever consider that an option for myself. I don't think the anti-gun faction of my family would ever let me live it down if the first person I shot with my self defense weapon was myself.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

da saftey off

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I used to carry condition 1 cocked and locked. Then I read some reports of police officers forgetting to hit the safety before pulling the trigger.

I decided that decocked safety off eliminated the possibility of not hitting the safety under stress. I also carry an 809. So I can cock it by pulling the hammer back, if time allows.
    NRA Instructor Ohio CCW Classes

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I always have it DA safety off one in the chamber so 19 rounds total
    carrying SA with no safety is retarded

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links