Finally got to shoot my OSS .45
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Finally got to shoot my OSS .45

Well I quickly found out that this gun is going to be a learning curve for me. The trigger pull in DA and SA were not what I'm used to. That is not a bad thing I just need more trigger time on this gun. If this was the first pistol I every shot that would not be a issue. I'm comparing the OSS to my 1911 and my EAA Wittness, both in .45 flavor. I only put 100 rounds thru her today, so I'm not going to be soooo anal retenive about my issues. Reguardless of what I read, I put at least 300 -500 round thru to see how she settles into her groove. Every issue I had has already been discussed here.
    1) I need to replace both mags. They are the 2nd generation design, one would only fire the last round 40 % of the time. And neither mag would let me shoot 2 back to back rounds of Winchester hollow points. The bullet would just sit at the bottom lip of the ramp all the time. With PMC ball ammo no issues, just the last round jam.

2) The sights, it's either my trigger pull or sites. My first 5 rounds down the pipe were on the target and then after that it was like I missed the target from 7yds I was that far off, WAY LOW. But if I really concentrated I could hit POI. I still can't believed that I missed the target so much. The range officer came by to chat with me and let me shoot his Elite 1911, Bang bang bang bang bang. All POA. But it is was what I'm used to..1911

Question 1If the gun is shooting low what would be the best solution? and did anyone that had a gun shooting low solve the problem with a William Site change?

Question 2 I will return the mag to Taurus for an exchange, but I'm going to order some also. If I were to order them from Taurus how can I be assured that I would recieve the 3rd generation mags?
    The gun is a keeper, but like I said at the begining I only but 100 rounds down the pipe, I still need to break it in. I did do a cleaning at first and after the first 50 rounds. But I have not done anything like cleaning with brushes it was a spray and wipe down. So that might be a factor too.
    Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Cheers

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23122 times

Re: Finally got to shoot my OSS .45

I own and operate two .45 Witnesses, a Colt 1911 .45, and a .45 24/7 OSS, so I can fully relate to your experience.

It took me awhile to get used to my .45 24/7 OSS's trigger, but having already owned a 9mm 24/7 Pro, probably not as much time. That stiff letoff will get better with time/use. I only have about 900 or so rounds thru mine so far.

Currently, I am more confident of longer shots with my other .45's, as they have smoother triggers, but I have also spent much more time shooting them than my .45 24/7. I hope to spend more time shooting my .45 24/7 OSS, if Ammunition supplies/Reloading components ever get back to normal. Not having the low shooting problem with either of my 24/7's.

Also, no magazine issues so far with the second or third generation magazines. My 24/7 OSS came with second generation magazines. Last October 2008, I got some third generation magazines from Buds Gun Shop (currently out of stock).

While I do like my .45 24/7 OSS, my favorite .45 is my 2004 vintage .45 Witness, and probably always will be.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Well I gave Taurus a call today and had a very positive conversation with Mike. I told him about all the problems that I was having and so on. After he heard me out, his first question was how many rounds did I fire so far? 120 rounds. He recommended that I put 500 rounds thru it before doing or changing anything that way w have a gauge to go on. I agreed with that, as most guns need a break in time. I asked him about the hollow point issue. He said you do know that it’s not meant to shoot hollow points…right? I didn’t know that but I did read in somewhere. We came to an agreement that before I send in the 2 mags, I’ll run 500 down the pipe. Also that they where out of 12 mags, so by the time I run 500 he should have some in by that time. So I’m not stressing about it and as jwc007, mentioned it is a learning curve for me, which I will turn into a challange
    Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23122 times

Quote Originally Posted by SAS MAYHEM
    I asked him about the hollow point issue. He said you do know that it’s not meant to shoot hollow points…right? I didn’t know that but I did read in somewhere.
    How very odd! My .45 24/7 OSS has fed and fired the following with no problem:

1.) Federal 185 grn Hydrashok
    2.) Remington 185 grn Gold Sabre JHP
    3.) Winchester 185 grn Silvertip JHP
    4.) CCI 200 grn Gold Dot JHP
    5.) Winchester 230 grn JHP

This testing occurred after about 100 rounds of WWB 230 grn FMJ and about 100 rounds of my 200 grn Berry's Flat Point (TC) Match Reloads. Berry's Bullets are plated bullets. This testing occurred last around last July 2009 sometime. Well before our current Ammunition supply troubles. My .45's now tend to be Safe-Queens these days, hoping for better days when .45 Ammunition, Bullets, and Large Pistol Primers become more plentiful and less expensive.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Ummm That is interesting jwc007. The hollow point that wound not cycle were Winchester 230 grn JHP. The tips were catching (it appeared) the lip.

Off subject... who has 12 rds mags in stock?

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Somewhat off topic, you may want to check out PowRball rounds, built to feed just like FMJ rounds, not ideal for expansion, but any expansion beats no expansion I figure...

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by booyah
    Somewhat off topic, you may want to check out PowRball rounds, built to feed just like FMJ rounds, not ideal for expansion, but any expansion beats no expansion I figure...
    Super thanks

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by SAS MAYHEM
    I asked him about the hollow point issue. He said you do know that it’s not meant to shoot hollow points…right? I didn’t know that but I did read in somewhere.
    This is odd to me as well. Is that located in the manual somewhere? I guess I missed it.

I've fired about 30 rounds of the Winchester 230gr JHP with no problems. I kept the last 20 out of the box as defense rounds.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Josjor

This is odd to me as well. Is that located in the manual somewhere? I guess I missed it.

I've fired about 30 rounds of the Winchester 230gr JHP with no problems. I kept the last 20 out of the box as defense rounds.
    When I call again I'll ask to clarifiy, perhaps he menat it's to early to run hollow points.

Cheers

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    441 times

it was built to feed and shoot FMJ. remember that it was built for the military and not civilian use. i noticed that mine wont eject live golden sabre rounds. the bullet hits the ejection port and jams every time. the fmj does not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links